Running with a broken oil filler cap? by 2.5
Started on: 06-26-2013 11:50 AM
Replies: 18 (1453 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 07-02-2013 05:08 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long story, but my 2.8's oil filler cap got ran over. The part that fits in the hole is still pretty good and I put it back in the whole, though cracked, the lid/handle is gone.

I would imagine some air is leaking past it. Is it safe to drive this way?

I called 3 brands of part stores in more than one location, and a GM dealer, no one has a 2.8 Fiero oil filler cap, even using cross referenced part numbers.
Does the 2.5 liter "non threaded" cap fit a 2.8?

I am going to stop at a Napa on my way twards the 30th Anniversary today after work and try some old school steel caps they think might fit.

Any other ideas? Fieros are rare at junkyards up here, and time is tight now to get down to Indy, maybe there is a junkyard with a Fiero along Interstate 94 out of Minneapolis?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-26-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't run that way any longer than you have to. You're oil is exposed to everything. I can tell you for certain that a 3400 cap will not fit. Throw a WTB thread up in the mall and someone should throw one you're way for cheap/free. If you're still in need of one next week, I can dig through my parts, but I'm away from them until middle of next week.
goatvenom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatvenomSend a Private Message to goatvenomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im going to the pick and pull this weekend and ill look to see if they have some, try the s10 and other cars with the same engine, there are a ton of the s10s made with 2.8 have you checked to see if any of the 3.1 or 3.4 engines have the same cap usually they are the same on the engines
fastblack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I probably have one on my parts car you can have. If you're running down my way on the way to the 30th you can stop by and grab it.

Otherwise, the PO of my 87 GT put a fairly generic looking chrome one on. Never seen one "Fiero Specific" like it so it may be one that fits many other motors. Sorry I don't have specifics but it could give ya hope.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatvenom:

im going to the pick and pull this weekend and ill look to see if they have some, try the s10 and other cars with the same engine, there are a ton of the s10s made with 2.8 have you checked to see if any of the 3.1 or 3.4 engines have the same cap usually they are the same on the engines

Yeah almost everything is threaded. One store looked up the same year Firebird with a 2.8 and that one was a rubber push in cap oddly enough. That wont work though because the Fiero 2.8 s hole is not just round it has the indents for the tabs.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by fastblack:

I probably have one on my parts car you can have. If you're running down my way on the way to the 30th you can stop by and grab it.

Otherwise, the PO of my 87 GT put a fairly generic looking chrome one on. Never seen one "Fiero Specific" like it so it may be one that fits many other motors. Sorry I don't have specifics but it could give ya hope.

I'll be heading down I94 out of Minneapolis to I90. Thanks though. But that does give me hope, there must be a simple steel one with tabs that has a small enough diameter to fit.

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I'll be heading down I94 out of Minneapolis to I90. Thanks though. But that does give me hope, there must be a simple steel one with tabs that has a small enough diameter to fit.

Hey check out this thread from another forum....I think you could make this work since you probably still have the seal

Here

fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got bored Napa in Eau Claire looks like they have one.

Edit to add: Napa's pic doesn't show the bottom side of it, but the top one on the link I provided looks like it will work.

[This message has been edited by fastblack (edited 06-26-2013).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few spares here at home. I live in the west suburbs of Chicago. PM me if you need one.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Edit to add: Napa's pic doesn't show the bottom side of it, but the top one on the link I provided looks like it will work.

If that steel one fits it will be great, thats the part number I have waiting for me at Napa after work BK 7031692.
But it seemed like those were for the 2.5 liter.

If anyone has a duke with a non threaded cap and a 2.8, want to see if the duke cap fits the 2.8?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
Thanks for all the offers to help, I'll keep em in mind
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

I dont think these would work, the 2.8 the valvecover is flat isnt it? The cap has the beveled edge to tighten down. Old cars that use the cap like that metal one, and the Duke as well I believe, have small metal tabs, and the valvecover itself has beveled edges on the underside to tighten it down as you quarter turn?

fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what I have on my 87 GT:

This little indent in the pic below is what "catches." Felt around a bit and the inside of the valve cover feels like there is a matching notch that fits into this indent. It's about a 1/4 turn in and ends up being just to the right (clockwise) of the top tab of the opening. Not sure how else to describe that location, guess I should have gotten a pic of that too. Either way the inside of the valve cover feels flat except for this tiny nub.

The oil cap is upside down on my bench in that pic FYI

Hope some of this helps!

EDIT to add:
Here's a pic courtesy Google images that I put an arrow on where it feels like that little nub is. I had to put the oil cap on and keep my finger in the same position to find it the first time, it's small.

[This message has been edited by fastblack (edited 06-26-2013).]

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

...my 2.8's oil filler cap got ran over. The part that fits in the hole is still pretty good and I put it back in the whole, though cracked, the lid/handle is gone.

I called 3 brands of part stores in more than one location, and a GM dealer, no one has a 2.8 Fiero oil filler cap, even using cross referenced part numbers.

Any other ideas? Fieros are rare at junkyards up here, and time is tight now to get down to Indy, maybe there is a junkyard with a Fiero along Interstate 94 out of Minneapolis?

I've four:

• The Fiero Store carries 2.8L Fiero oil filler caps. (However, I don't know how quickly they can get one to you.)

• I-94 East takes you to the Milwaukee area. Contact the Milwaukee-based Wisconsin Fiero Fanatics club; their president (user name, The Prezzzz, posts here periodically and presumably would know of any junkyards in that area (or possibly near Madison, WI, which isn't far from I-94 East).

• Yet another option is to contact Gibson Iron Metal & Auto in Neenah, WI (around 270 miles east-southeast of Minneapolis, and possibly the safest location ever for a junkyard). I haven't been there for quite awhile, but at one time they had maybe around a dozen Fieros there.

• Alternately, maybe someone else who belongs to our club, Fox Valley Fieros (e.g., jetsnvettes2000, av8Fiero, 86soon3.4, Bigjake34, or any of dozens more), will see this thread and have some other suggestions, or even an extra 2.8L oil filler cap!

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

The Fiero Store carries 2.8L Fiero oil filler caps. (However, I don't know how quickly they can get one to you.)

SMH...of course they do.....but they are really really really expensive
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be bringing some down to Indy. So all's well if nothing else materializes before then.

EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one you could have, although I'm not sure how fast i could get it to you. doubt you're coming close to where I live either. The 2.8 in the car currently has a rod knock, so its all gettin replaced. How fast do you need it?

~James

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I'll be bringing some down to Indy. So all's well if nothing else materializes before then.

I want to thank css9450, he hand delivered the cap to me at the 30th show, and charged me nothing for it, thanks again !!!
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to be of assistance! And happy to be slowly clearing out a few extra parts from the "collection"...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock