Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anyone ever try Custom Fastback Tail Lights like the PPG Fiero Pace Cars?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone ever try Custom Fastback Tail Lights like the PPG Fiero Pace Cars? by FieroFanatic13
Started on: 05-22-2013 03:52 PM
Replies: 23 (2253 views)
Last post by: FieroFanatic13 on 08-26-2013 06:41 PM
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering if anyone has pulle something similar to the PPG Tail Light set up off? I personally LOVE the fastback roofline but NOT the tall billboard tail lights that go with it. They narrow the Fiero visually for me. I really like the PPG tail end look- and I'm wondering about creating something similar using modified notchback tail lights and a fake vent panel or filler panel above them? I don't want to go so far as to do the built in spoiler, but rather lightly mod my fastback rear for the notchback tail lights and "filler" panel.

Here are some pics of the PPG cars borrowed from other threads here on the forum (mostly from RareW66):

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those were the first "real" fastbacks !

Nice cars...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do love those tail ends. Those cars have a bulge in the rear fender that looks better than a stock Fiero too I think.

Vid of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUGlPW9dSLI

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are stock coupe tail lights and the rear deck lid spoiler just changes the look.

I have never like the fastbacks as I saw these back when they were new and hoped this was what GM was going to do. While the fastbacks look ok they are not as good looking as these were. The quarter windows and the tail lights on the PPG cars are just so much better looking. I also loved the nose.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

They are stock coupe tail lights and the rear deck lid spoiler just changes the look.

I have never like the fastbacks as I saw these back when they were new and hoped this was what GM was going to do. While the fastbacks look ok they are not as good looking as these were. The quarter windows and the tail lights on the PPG cars are just so much better looking. I also loved the nose.

Yup- they look like stock coupe tail lights to me. Then the upper clip overhangs a bit on top and there is a sloped panel above the tails running up to the overhang that appears to be painted black. I really like the look and wonder how difficult it would be to mod a production fastback clip to look similar- but without the overhang being as far back for less body work...
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanatic13:
Yup- they look like stock coupe tail lights to me. Then the upper clip overhangs a bit on top and there is a sloped panel above the tails running up to the overhang that appears to be painted black. I really like the look and wonder how difficult it would be to mod a production fastback clip to look similar- but without the overhang being as far back for less body work...

As far as I could tell from the yellow one they are stock notchie taillights... the rear clip has hip flares and a completely extended/reshaped rear end though... I think there is going to be a lot of bodywork regardless...

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. I can tell it would take some work. I don't necessarily want to do replica of the ppg rear with the extension though. Just a lighter mod using non-fastback tails with a filler panel... Trying to figure out what I might do!
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been around the real cars new and just a few years ago and the tail light is stock.

The rear halo and quarter panels are special and are not stock.

The deck lid is stock but has a lot of modifications and the rear is a big chunk of added fiberglass.

The red car Fred bought I saw it years ago at the school and it was heavy and you could see where it was modified.

The company that made these used them to show case the panels they could make. I am sure much of this was done in temporary molds that are long gone., I am sure someone good with glass could make something close starting with a stock halo. Just not sure if it would be worth the time and money.

Note too the grill in the deck lid is from a Chrysler Lebaron.

Also the red car is different from the others in the side widow scoop area. It was the first and the best of all the cars.

The best way to have had one of these cars is to have bought the blue one at auction. That was a good buy for a Detroit and Racing related prototype. You could not have reproduced one for the price paid.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 05-24-2013).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanatic13:

Yeah. I can tell it would take some work. I don't necessarily want to do replica of the ppg rear with the extension though. Just a lighter mod using non-fastback tails with a filler panel... Trying to figure out what I might do!

You just need to extend the rear fenders and decklid straight out, or lip it up a little, then angle down, angle back in and fill it. Round the oudside corners.
Easier said than done probly.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-24-2013).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

The best way to have had one of these cars is to have bought the blue one at auction. That was a good buy for a Detroit and Racing related prototype. You could not have reproduced one for the price paid.

Indeed. I just took that picture in February this year... RAREW66 has lots of fun Fiero history in Iowa.
PFF
System Bot
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The more I think about this idea the more I think I am commited to trying something different. I am going to research tail lights from other vehicles that might be similar in size to notchie tails as well...I will update here if I come up with anything promising. It will certainly require some work, but since I: A) dont like fastback tail lights anyway and B) don't have a set of fastback tail lights to use anyway, this may be my solution!

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 05-24-2013).]

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm beginning my research on potential ways to pull off a custom tail light set up for my fastback swap. Looking into using tail lights from other vehicles in addition to using notchback Fiero tail lights...

I will post some pics if I come up with anything. If anyone has suggestions, let me know!

-Gary
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
n/m

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 05-28-2013).]

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well- I've come across a few potential options for my idea by searching pics online and auctions on ebay. Now I have to start hitting the local yards that will let me walk through them so I can possibly find some more options.

If anyone else has any ideas regarding tail lights they've seen from other cars that might work, let me know!

-Gary
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd just be happy with the front bumper. I cant believe with all the fiberglass parts out there for Fiero's that no one has made a reproduction piece.
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

I'd just be happy with the front bumper. I cant believe with all the fiberglass parts out there for Fiero's that no one has made a reproduction piece.

Yeah, I would love that front bumper too. I don't think Fred or Ed are going to let anyone make a mold from a real one, so it would be tough to get it right.

RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not making the front fascia that is the issue. There is more to it. The front fenders are flared 2-1/4" where they mate up to the fascia. It would take a whole body kit to make the fascia look right. I am sure no body would like to have just the front as a widebody and the rear in standard width.

Having these cars around to look at everyday has faded my love for the fastback body. The GTP cars have a much more aggressive, wide and low stance to them that makes the GT body look tall and narrow. And yes, the tail lights in the PPG cars are 100% stock Fiero notchback tail lights with the 84 lense configuration.

[This message has been edited by RAREW66 (edited 06-21-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds perfect to me! I'm in.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by RAREW66

Having these cars around to look at everyday has faded my love for the fastback body. The GTP cars have a much more aggressive, wide and low stance to them that makes the GT body look tall and narrow. And yes, the tail lights in the PPG cars are 100% stock Fiero notchback tail lights with the 84 lense configuration.

Your nailed WHY I like the pace car tail light look- they visually widen the rear end in my opinion. I don't like the tall standard fastback tail lights because I feel that they make the fastback look narrower than the notch back cars!

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 06-21-2013).]

Hidalgo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

Yeah, I would love that front bumper too. I don't think Fred or Ed are going to let anyone make a mold from a real one, so it would be tough to get it right.

Of course it would be too much to ask Fred to let you make fiberglass molds off such unique and collectible cars. But what if you just removed and scanned all the unique body panels in that PPG body with a 3D scanner? That could easily be done if he ever decides to restore and repaint the white one (which was originally red). That way, you wouldn't risk damaging anything. The only question is, are shops like Fiero FIberglass equipped to make fiberglass body panels from scanned 3D files? Or do they absolutely need to make molds using the original body panels? I don't know if there are any 3D printers out there that can make things out of SMC or fiberglass. Oh, and that 3D printer would have to be big enough to make auto body parts, too.
PFF
System Bot
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hidalgo:

Of course it would be too much to ask Fred to let you make fiberglass molds off such unique and collectible cars. But what if you just removed and scanned all the unique body panels in that PPG body with a 3D scanner? That could easily be done if he ever decides to restore and repaint the white one (which was originally red). That way, you wouldn't risk damaging anything. The only question is, are shops like Fiero FIberglass equipped to make fiberglass body panels from scanned 3D files? Or do they absolutely need to make molds using the original body panels? I don't know if there are any 3D printers out there that can make things out of SMC or fiberglass. Oh, and that 3D printer would have to be big enough to make auto body parts, too.

My god, if there were 3D files for the parts... I'd love to go this route on my own project.

My guess is if you were trying to reproduce the panels using printing technology you'd have to print the file in sections and bond them together, then shape and fill to get it all 100%, THEN splash a mould off the printed section. Lots of work...
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to do the lights?

Steve
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an update....

I have FOUND what looks like a good option for what I have in mind. Pics to come once I get some things sorted out...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock