Started on: 05-10-2013 06:34 AM
Replies: 11 (1055 views)
Last post by: Rodney on 04-14-2015 08:52 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am close to having the 85-87 engine dampers made. But since I sent them a used damper they are concerned when they test it as to how close it is to one when new. It is like a 90/10 shock absorber. So I am looking for a new one or a very low use used one. Anyone?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody able to help Rodney here? I've seen a few posts recently looking for this replacement part, myself included!
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this it? Edit: Nope - never mind.

(removed link)

Why not make a mini-adjustable dog bone with rubber bushings? The "shock absorbing" function really isn't getting used in this application.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 06-18-2013).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the point of this thing? If the dog bone is in good condition the engine isn't going anywhere... has anyone actually seen a description of the purpose they're supposed to serve? They don't even exist on the 88 V6 cars...
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

What is the point of this thing? If the dog bone is in good condition the engine isn't going anywhere... has anyone actually seen a description of the purpose they're supposed to serve? They don't even exist on the 88 V6 cars...

The dogbone is pushed rather than pulled like FWD under acceleration. They provide tension to the engine motion. I open a couple of these "shocks" they were springs, not shocks (other than the spring absorbing some shock as the engine rocks backwards.) At some point it seems GM dropped them.

I notice it when mine isn't there so I installed it and adjusted my dogbone length to require slight tension on the damper. The service manual indicates you should have to apply some tension to the damper (pull the engine back) to install the dogbone bolt. Many people expect the dogbone bolts to go in without pulling the engine back. I set my adjustable length dogbone to about half the hole width. That seems to give enough tension to not vibrate a lot but it takes up the slack as the engine rocks on accel/decel.

The part number is 22046473. A search shows some places having them but I question if you can really get one.

http://dragtimes.com claims they have an NOS part.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 06-18-2013).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a sample coming in a few weeks. Will look very similar to and will work the same as the OEM GM damper. As soon as it gets here I'll take some pictures. If the sample is OK I'll have them make them and I'll have them in stock near the end of the year or so.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have made some good progress lately after not having much luck for a long time. They made a few samples but they were not the same compressed and extended length. The samples had 10 mm less travel. I was thinking I would not be successful in having these made unless I maybe paid a huge tooling fee. I sent them a few well used OEM samples to look at several months ago. So they finally (even though I told them earlier) cut one open to see how they were made internally and they determined they can copy the design and achieve the correct in and out dimensions. So I should have this sample in maybe 10 days or so.

If the sample is good I would have them on hand by early next year.

Externally the samples they made so far look very similar to the OEM damper. They look very well made in fit and finish.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Received another sample and it is exactly the same as the OEM damper in the compressed and extended length. The dampening is also for the most part exactly the same. Very, very difficult to pull open and very, very easy to push it closed. I have two NOS GM factory dampers here to compare the sample to. So I will have a batch of them made. I should have some in stock by the end of March or early April.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work,Rodney.
Thanks for all your Fiero dedication!
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indyellowgt:

Nice work,Rodney.
Thanks for all your Fiero dedication!

Thanks. Most probably have no idea of the time, effort and cost etc that goes into having these various Fiero reproduction parts made. Many of these things I have done can take me a few years to get to the point of actually having the part(s) made.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some coming and I should have them on hand in a week or two.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some in stock now.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=22&products_id=348

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

next newest topic | next oldest topic