Trustworthy Shop in Flint MI? by thedude557
Started on: 04-21-2013 12:21 PM
Replies: 15 (456 views)
Last post by: LoW_KeY on 08-16-2013 12:10 PM
thedude557

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So in a previous thread( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/126250.html ) it was mentioned that I probably have a lower intake gasket issue with my stock 2.8l in my 88GT. Sure, it could be a head gasket and other such things but from research I've done here it seems that the chances of being the lower intake gasket are good. The car runs fine otherwise, granted I haven't tried to drive it, but when I started it for the first time this year it fired right up and does just fine while running.

So here's the scoop.
#1. I don't trust myself with this type of repair, not to mention the tools I'd have to buy to be able to do it on my own.
#2. I'm getting married in June and in order to give my wife to be her special day funds are limited.
#3. Where in Flint is a good place to take it? I'm looking for local because I will probably just have to try and drive it to the shop, as much as that makes me cringe. A few tow companies I've called don't want to tow it, and I don't have a vehicle that I can haul it with. My hope is to have a bit of money saved up after the wedding so I can at least try and get the car on the road this year. I'm guessing between $300-$500 for the repair. Sound about right? Or am I guessing too high or low? Truthfully if it's even in the $500 range this car may have to sit out this summer

Thoughts? Input? Thanks for any help!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Darkhorizon (Scott) lives in your city. I believe that he likes to do mainly swaps and modification work but he is honest, competent and may be able to help you.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could talk to Jarret at Davison Automotive. He knows fieros. http://www.davisonautomotive.net/

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

thedude557

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

You could talk to Jarret at Davison Automotive. He knows fieros. http://www.davisonautomotive.net/

I'll probably give them a call this week. Sucks too, I was so excited to get it back on the road. With the wedding coming up I won't have much $$$ to toss at the poor girl.(by poor girl I mean the car, not my future wife)
thedude557

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a quote of about $580 today. Hope that's not an average...
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lower intake gasket? That sounds about right. Did they diagnosis the issue or just quote you on what you want done?

Lower intake gasket really isn't bad and they make a tool so you don't have to set the valve lash.

Add.... you should get it diagnosed, or you may be throwing money away.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 04-23-2013).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep calling around. Find a shop that is hungry.

------------------
11.17@132.6

thedude557

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

lower intake gasket? That sounds about right. Did they diagnosis the issue or just quote you on what you want done?

Lower intake gasket really isn't bad and they make a tool so you don't have to set the valve lash.

Add.... you should get it diagnosed, or you may be throwing money away.

Trouble is I don't want to drive around shop to shop while I have this problem. Like Justin said, I'll keep calling around. That quote of $580 was almost the same from 2 different shops, give or take about $20. This might just end up being something I try on my own. I'm not a complete car novice, just my experience is more on the electrical side of things. Anyone got a list of must have tools to get this done right?

[This message has been edited by thedude557 (edited 04-23-2013).]

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check with Denny at Lang's Auto up in Clio (810-686-3700...11485 Dexter St, Clio, MI 48420). He is the only mechanic I trust to work on my Fiero without me being present.
GBglide

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GBglideClick Here to visit GBglide's HomePageSend a Private Message to GBglideEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
George's Garage in Grand Blanc did multiple repairs on mine after it had sat for years. He's already got a lot of business though, as he's known for being honest.

George's Garage
G4307 S Saginaw St, Burton, MI 48529
(810) 742-8910
thedude557

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little thread necro here, but I'm just too excited! Finally found a shop that didn't act like the Fiero was the most difficult car in the world to work on. Just dropped it off about an hour ago. Fingers crossed that it really is my lower intake and not the head gasket. The guy that owns the shop recalled the issues that they had with lower intakes back in the 90's, so it sounds like he knows what he's doing. With any luck I'll have her back on the road by the end of the day!
PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you end up taking it?
thedude557

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After calling around I stopped at a shop that was just down the street from my house called J&Js. One of those ma and pop looking places. I see cars in and out all the time there, but I just wasn't sure of their reputation so I had held back. Finally I just got fed up with not having my baby all summer and stopped in. It's still there right now, so far so good. They commented on how much smoke was coming out of the exhaust when I pulled up, but I figure with the problems I'm having, and the car sitting for months and months that a little smoke is probably expected. They were worried that it might be the head gasket instead, but considering it's been about 4 hours I would think they would know by know if it was another problem. In the end they asked for $350, and I paid for the fluids and new gaskets. So it's gonna cost me around $450 all said and done. Still not bad. I'll let you guys know once I get it back on the road if everything went ok.
thedude557

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All done! She's back on the streets, just in time for Back to the Bricks too. They did a great job, she sounds fine. Only thing I'm noticing is my oil pressure gauge, when idle, will dip in the red and the oil light will come on for a sec. Doesn't seem to effect how it's running though. I plan on taking her in for another oil change in about a week just to make sure she's flushed out.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a few fieros on Saginaw yesterday.

------------------
11.17@132.6

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Least you found a spot. I know with my other motor had guy test drive it... said holy crap that car moves. Hey dumb ass glad you just took car for joy ride. Thats when I lived in jackson and that was at the stealership

------------------

3800 SC/IC Formula whines more than your girl...
08 Cobalt SS TC - ZZP tuned, K&N SRI, 6k HID's 13.31@107
07 HHR - Wifes (tried to have her get the SS)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock