Looking at Rodney Dickman Short Shifters by Pegasus88GT
Started on: 04-10-2013 11:58 AM
Replies: 17 (2565 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-18-2014 05:25 PM
Pegasus88GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I plan on installing a short shifter on my 88 GT once I get out of college. I've been leaning toward Rodney's Comp II shifter but today I saw he had a logo shifter that I think looks awesome. Does anyone know if that shifter is shorter than the stock shifter or what it exactly is? There wasn't a whole lot in the description and I love that knob. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have purchased several short sifters from member, gtxbullet, and he only charges $35.00

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 04-10-2013).]

Pegasus88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know if his short shifters are longer on the bottom like Rodney's to achieve shorter throws or are they just shortened off the top?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost any shifter will be shorter than the 88 shifter. Be advised however that the reason Pontiac made them that long in the first place is because people complained about the high shift effort so that was the 'solution'. In other words be prepared for the higher shift effort with any short shifter, especially one that is longer on the bottom.

Rodney makes some awesome products, but I have to say I didn't care for the shifters that are straight up and down like the one pictured. It puts the shifter in the center of the console which is too far to the right for me. I had one of Rodney's shifters and ended up selling it.

In my opinion the best short shifter is the cut down 84 shifter. It has nearly a right angle in it that locates the shifter far more to the left which is a better location for me.
Pegasus88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply. It definitely seems that people either love or hate the short shifters so I guess I'll just have to try it out.
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think some are unaware that Rodney also makes a custom bracket for the 5spd Getrag, that also reduces distance of shifter throw.

I run this in combination with the Hurst Shifter he sells, and have no complaints.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney's shifters are the only ones I know of that actually have a shorther throw. The rest just have a shorter shifter handle. Nothing against any of them - just info to help you decide what you want.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

I think some are unaware that Rodney also makes a custom bracket for the 5spd Getrag, that also reduces distance of shifter throw.

I run this in combination with the Hurst Shifter he sells, and have no complaints.

Yeah, I was thinking on trying one of these out.

Anyone have one with an installed pic?? (to give an idea)

Thanks,

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also use Rodney's Steel Bracket for the shift cable, that you see forward of short shift bracket.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had Rodneys short shifter and drove it over 10 years in the 88 Coupe. After driving with it for 100k I didnt like the standard shifter at all. Rodneys shifter is the way the factory shifter should have been!! It looks better and is natural when sitting in the car. Just drop your arm down and there it is!! Hard to shift?? Donkey poop!

Steve W.
NE Grand Rapids, MI
88 Coupe 1st Fiero hit & at Wellers Auto Parts
87 GT 3800SC 2nd Fiero
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

I am running this with a cut down 84 shifter in my 88... my throws are ridiculously short, I can shift just by flicking my wrist and I have no complaints.

I merely pointed out that I don't care for the straight short shifters, I like my offset to the left.

also in Rodney's defense I am not using a stock Fiero Console...

But check out my cut down 84 versus the stock 84 versus the 88 shifter

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-10-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same thing here. I installed Rodney's short shifter and "ultimate getrag shift kit" in both the manual Fieros I'd had. After driving with his shifters, I couldnt stand the stock ones at all.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone provide me a link for a place that I can buy the shorter shifter? I can't seem to find the website at the moment.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Rodney's Competition Short Throw Shifter and I think it's great.

One thing to be aware of is that it does not have the shifter adjustment pin hole that you use to pin the shifter in place when setting the shifter cable adjustment. Not a big deal, just means you have to guess a bit if you have to adjust the cable.

Edit for link: http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=36&products_id=38

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 06-16-2014).]

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car came with Rodney's short shifter and while I like it, I think I would like the Hurst one better. My current shifter has a VERY short throw, I use my fingers for "1st to 2nd" and "3rd to 4th" shifts without even moving my wrist. This is great but comes with the added effort. The added effort to shift doesn't make it uncomfortable or anything but in my opinion, the shorter shift does not justify it. Nothing against Rodney, I love his products and this one is just as top notch as the rest, I just don't think its for me. Having said that, I've been driving it with that shifter for about 5 years now
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my stock shifter was just cut down and its good
ILVMYGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are several different lengths of the short shifted bracket that attach to the transmission. The picture shows the stock bracket on the left. The middle is a bracket I got from Rodney maybe 8 years ago. The one the on right came with a transmission I got. Origin unknown. I swapped the transmission which turned out is was very difficult to shift. So much so that I was going back to the original bracket until I realize the bracket on my original transmission was in the middle. I put that one and solved my shifting problems.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap.
Paint in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
But check out my cut down 84 versus the stock 84 versus the 88 shifter

So can you swap an 88 5 speed shifter for an 84 4 speed shifter and get that much shorter, no other changes?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock