Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Wheel shopping... want to try something new.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Wheel shopping... want to try something new. by thedrue
Started on: 01-31-2013 12:05 AM
Replies: 36 (1419 views)
Last post by: DKcustoms on 02-13-2014 08:30 PM
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have been wheel shopping and have stumbled on a good deal on some interesting wheels.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Just a couple shots of the car. I have had the black TSW's on there for several years and run Dunlop Direzza star specs. I absolutely love the tire and rim choice but the tires are just too aggressive for daily driving so I have been looking for a new wheel to run some more appropriate road tires on. I want to keep the star specs on the TSW's for autocrossing and limited summer driving.

This is the wheel I am looking at, 17 inch diameter.

I guess I am just struggling with the idea of a gold wheel. On the one hand I think it could really work but I do not want the car to be too ricey or anything.

What does everyone think?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only like gold wheels on blue Impreza's, but that's me.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go for it.

My daily driver is painted "arrest me red" and I've been trying to find a set of 18s* I like in a bronze or gold finish. Its a good combination.

* Can't run anything smaller without watching the offsets too closely. Massive brakes are awesome like that.

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 01-31-2013).]

thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gold/bronze looks good on blue and black, but I'm not sure about red - although gold meshies (like Enkei 92s) look pretty good on red cars, so maybe you could pull it off. Is there a gold wheel on TireRack's magic "View this wheel on your car" tool that might give you a sense? There are a couple websites with similar tools... I just happen to remember TR's. I do like the XXR 530 in general, though.... been eyeballing a dark-colored set for my car.

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 01-31-2013).]

thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, gold on red is a bit risky... But on the other hand I do enjoy trying new things...

I really like mesh wheels too but all of them have a polished lip and I do not think I could pull off gold and silver on my car like that. These wheels have a very clean attractive design, only issue is the multi bolt pattern but the price is right. I also have to keep room for the corvette brakes and any potential upgrades in the future.

I will also be running the same tire fitment so the balance of the car is maintained.

It would be a big change but having the different options will be fun now and then. I do know I do not want another black set. I love the black but it shows every single chip and scratch.

Thanks for the input everyone!

[This message has been edited by thedrue (edited 01-31-2013).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also say go for it. Red and gold are a good match and look really sharp.

Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did anyone question Tony Stark when he built his Iron man suit?

I think he pulled off the Red/Gold thing quite well.

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (Daily Driver)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
1984 Pontiac Fiero. 2m4(My Fixer Upper) 73K miles.

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why wouldn't gold wheels look good on a red Fiero. My Red GT came with factory gold mesh wheels and I like the look myself. I also like them on a white car too. I've been looking at these wheels but didn't know good they would look on a white car until I saw this posting by alex4mula's white GT.

I think I'm going have to follow his lead. I'd also like to see them in black but on a red Fiero.
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I bit the bullet! Rims should be showing up next week.

I am a bit nervous...
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't stress! Here are some other nice examples to ease your mind! I almost bought gold wheels for my red Fiero at one point.

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2013 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't the red 88 GTs come with gold colored lace wheels?
PFF
System Bot
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks DoubleC I like the support.

Ill post pics when its all said and done. It will be a bit before I get the tires though.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of course, if the gold turns out to suck, you can always just plastidip them to some other color.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2013 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Factory red racing Ferrari's in the 60's to mid 70's often had matte gold competition style wheels. The XXR 530's would look the part on a red Fiero. I'd like to see pics of this wheel installed on a Fiero.
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2013 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New wheels came in! Just thought Id throw up a few pics as promised. Lets just say I think I made the right choice!

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2013 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already knew you made the right choice but the confirmation is nice

Get some tires on them, quick!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of factory red cars come with gold wheels (even factory Fieros). I think they look fine. The only thing I dont like are the 'tuner' centers that have like 3 sets of lug holes. I only like that style if they have a center cap to cover them. Thats just me though, Im picky.
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2013 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it looks great.

I wonder if it will make your car faster. Kind of like a kid with brand new shoes. They can always run faster and jump higher.
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not a big fan of multi bolt pattern wheels either, but these were a good enough of deal I went for it anyway. I may make some plugs or something for those holes. Try to mask them a little. Either way I think these look really good and cannot wait to get tires on them!
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look great!
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good thing you listen to folks around here sometimes..
PFF
System Bot
Leukay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeukaySend a Private Message to LeukayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just have to say, your car has to be one of the best looking Fieros I've ever seen. I love the black top that blends really nicely with those awesome looking sail panels. I also love those black wheels in the OP, but those gold ones will spice it up a little bit IMO. They'll especially look good with your windows down with that tan interior (if I see correctly). Anyway, just needed to let you know how much I love your car haha
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Leukey! The interior is indeed tan and I think will compliment the new wheels very nicely. It is bold but dont worry the TSW's are not going anywhere, they are my summer/autocross wheels. Keeping the sticky rubber on those and putting a less aggressive tire on the new rims for daily driver duty.

I like the support from this forum, great place to run ideas past and get opinions from.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's gonna look great!
As posted above, I see lots of red GTs with gold wheels. They seem to play well together.

thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got everything together and have the rims on my car! I must admit it is a very big change... im still getting used to it but it does look good.

Here are all the parts coming together!

as you can see my starspecs are nearing the end of their life. I hope to get at least one more season of autocrossing on them before getting a new set.

There she sits with her new shoes.

First spin around the block.

After getting home from work today.

I have used the BFGoodrich Ge Force sports in the past and was very happy with them on a C4 corvette. These are the new Comp 2's and so far I am very happy. They have a treat wear rating of 340, run very quitely and have a high level of grip. They definitely have softer sidewalls than the star specs though. the car does not feel as planted but these run quieter and are not as harsh as the more aggressive tires.

I am very pleased to have 2 sets of rims finally, it will be nice to be able to switch back and forth depending on what I want to do with the car.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good to me!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2013 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Are you going to paint the wing red? I think it would tidy up the look and really unify things. Wheels look great!
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2013 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, wing is staying black, I like it as an accent, brings together the black top I think.

Thanks guys, i like it, but it is just so different it will take a bit to get used to.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-07-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The jealousy! It burns!

See ya soon...
eunospeed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the XXR's..... what size/offset are the fronts and rears?
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! I like gold wheels (see avatar)

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

PFF
System Bot
eunospeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thedrue, assuming your using 17x7 +35mm offset up front? If so they look good but I'm surprised they don't look funny considering they should be sticking out 14.7mm more than the factory setup. Would be nicer if they made this wheel in a +45mm offset. Your car is an 88, correct?
eunospeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

eunospeed

342 posts
Member since Sep 2002
BTW, if anyone is interested they have a sale at Next Level Motoring thru tomorrow on the XXR530. 25% off of list price! If they had +45mm offset on the 17x7's I would have already bought them. Feedback would be welcome......
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thedrue:

New wheels came in! Just thought Id throw up a few pics as promised. Lets just say I think I made the right choice!

I think you STOLE my idea.

Looks good
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an observation...the new ones are so close to the old ones, why didnt you save the money and just have the old ones powdercoated the new ones color ?
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There she sits with her new shoes.

New rims look great!

But dayumm does that blue and silver look amazing! I think the combo of the chop, wing, and color scheme make it an amazing, beautiful car!
Can you tell me what wing that is and where I can get one?
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DKcustoms

1071 posts
Member since Oct 2013

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Just an observation...the new ones are so close to the old ones, why didnt you save the money and just have the old ones powdercoated the new ones color ?

They actually look to be the same brand/model rims...

Some people have money to burn lol
Plus in the OP he says he wants to keep those rims for autocross

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 02-13-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock