ASPP GT40 kit build by Rick Vanderpool
Started on: 01-30-2013 11:59 AM
Replies: 56 (8694 views)
Last post by: GODFATHER on 02-25-2015 10:53 AM
GT40 3.8 SC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT40 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to GT40 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
67 GT-40 Mark II, 3800 S/C auto, 85 Fiero based (ASPP) kit. Held suspension and coil-overs all around with 2" dropped spindles. Mike's leather interior. And a whole lot more...

IP: Logged
Rick Vanderpool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kevin,
Would it have been possible to have the exhaust tips exit through the area the license plate is mounted?
Rick
GT40 3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT40 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to GT40 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rick,
Yes, it's possible, but you would lose a bit of trunk space. I considered that but bodywork isn't my favorite task. I like the license plate where it is and took the easy way out. I put a downward slant on the Borla tips, that matches the radius that the rear section swings on, allowing a tight opening in the bodywork. It rubs a litlle when opening but fiberglass on chrome doesn't leave a mark.
You would have to go up into the trunk and over the rear cross support.
Looking up from the driver's side you can see I'm very close to the trunk floor.

My adjustable center bracket worked nice.

I still have my trunk.

Kevin

------------------
67 GT-40 Mark II, 3800 S/C auto, 85 Fiero based (ASPP) kit. Held suspension and coil-overs all around with 2" dropped spindles. Mike's leather interior. And a whole lot more...

Rick Vanderpool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was afraid of that. I like the look of the high tips, so I may just stick fakes there and have plain pipes come out low. I have to get the rear together and see how much room I have.
Rick
GT40 3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT40 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to GT40 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went for the new GT look.

I prefer it over the original. Some people may not like those things pointing straight at them. HAHA
Kevin

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mount them high like original, and install 'flame thrower' system. You can melt the bumper of tailgaters.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 02-04-2013).]

Rick Vanderpool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jay Leno has a jet bike that melted the plastic front bumper of a driver behind him who got to close trying to check out the bike.
Rick Vanderpool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I spent a couple of hours trimming off the rear of the frame and the bottom of the trunk. Tomorrow I will set the back half of the body on and see how it lines up.

Rick
Rick Vanderpool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2013 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I first started taking the car apart I discovered that the rear cradle nuts inside the frame, and that a PO had cut the side flap in the frame to access them, but never welded them shut which turned out to bee a good thing. I bought Rodney Dickman's floating cradle nut assemblies to remedy that. It came time to install them today. The hinge mounts for the rear body section will cover the cutouts so they had to go back together. I still need to close the flaps and weld them up, which I will do tomorrow. Here are the pictures

Flap open and nut and cage removed

Rodney Dickman floating nut installed

Thanks,
Rick
Rick Vanderpool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2013 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the rear set on the back of the chassis today. It won't quite line up at this point, as there is some interference between the frame and the body support in the rear of the body. I'll have to trim alittle more off the end of the frame.

Rick
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Rick. We need to have another meet to check out your car again.
PFF
System Bot
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2013 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good and enjoying the thread so far. Rick B
Rick Vanderpool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for not posting for a while. When I went to mount the rear hinge brackets to the frame I noticed that the body had distorted from the way it had set for so many years. I had to think about what I was going to do. Other things came along and it took a while to get back to the GT40. This week I decided to go ahead and bolt the hinges in place amd see what happened. It may have to let it sit with the stress on it to see if it will straighten out. If any of you fiberglass guys have any suggestions such as heat or pressure please let me know.
Thanks for looking,
Rick
Rick Vanderpool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, more activity to report. I mounted the rear hinge plates and there will need to be some tweeking to the rear body to close properly. I also got all the other panels mounted preliminarily. Here are some pictures. The last one shows the notches I had to make in the spare tire tub for the hood to fit.

Thanks for looking,
Rick
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates?
Rick Vanderpool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got stalled trying to get the rear to line up so there hasn't been any progress. As a mater of fact I have put a cover on it and pushed it out of the garage to work on a Factory Five Roadster kit.
Rick
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you send me pics on how you mounded the radiator?
Thanks
Joe
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay