how hard is a t-top conversion? by Fier-oh41229
Started on: 01-08-2013 10:23 PM
Replies: 11 (831 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 05-11-2014 04:37 PM
Fier-oh41229

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fier-oh41229Send a Private Message to Fier-oh41229Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a fiero yet but I think think the t tops are pretty cool on em. So I was just wondering how hard it is and how much It costs. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fier-oh41229

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fier-oh41229Send a Private Message to Fier-oh41229Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I don't know why it submitted this topic twice.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It can be done. You need to know what you're doing, though.
I'm guessing you've seen the threads that describe how to do it.
You will need to support the car when the roof is cut out. "Flexible" doesn't even begin to describe it.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pdemondo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you don't have a Fiero yet, it would be much easier and probably less expensive to buy a Fiero that already has T-Tops.
If you are patient you sould be able to find one for a reasonable price.

I have seen T-Top kits (from donor cars) for as little as 400. The "average" kit price, maybe 800-1000.
When unused T-Top kits were still available, they were 1800. I found an 88 T-Top coupe for less than that.

[This message has been edited by pdemondo (edited 01-09-2013).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pdemondo:

If you don't have a Fiero yet, it would be much easier and probably less expensive to buy a Fiero that already has T-Tops.
If you are patient you sould be able to find one for a reasonable price.

Depends....Fieros are getting few and far between. To find an 88 T-top 5 speed in good condition is going to take you a long time and be costly by the time you find it.

It could be a lot cheaper and easier to get one without the t-tops and add them in a weekend. That's what I did.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are enough around that have tops in them you are better off buying one with it in.

You are also better off buying a clean Fiero and spend a little more as by the time you buy a Fiero, T tops and anything else you need to do like Paint, interior and say like a clutch you will have sent enough to buy a low mileage clean example.

The Fiero prices right now are low enough you can pretty much find what you want in very good shape for a resonable price if you do your home work and take your time looking. You may have to look out side your area but there are plenty around in other areas.

Lets put it this way just getting a good set of gaskets can set you back over $1000 for a set of NOS ones if you can find them. The plastic caps to cover the pillars that are not broken can be several hundred for a set too.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
T-top install here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000070.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Lets put it this way just getting a good set of gaskets can set you back over $1000 for a set of NOS ones if you can find them. The plastic caps to cover the pillars that are not broken can be several hundred for a set too.

You are correct about the NOS seals...

But you would be surprised how many t-tops end up in the junk yard, and to the yard it's just rubber. I got a set for $15 last summer.
ckrummy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ckrummySend a Private Message to ckrummyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easier to put in then take out, Trust me I've done both. But seriously they're not that bad I would suggest getting some panel bonding adhesive for the actual install instead of seam sealer, when i do them on my next car I'm using plug welds instead rivets to make hopefully make the car more rigid.
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not real hard to install t-tops into a Fiero. Check out my T-Top installation. And no, the car won't fold in half after the cutting. The tunnel in the Fiero space frame makes it very rigid. Easy enough to do if you have a donor car. They pop up once in a while.
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If its going to be a daily driver I wouldn't recommend a t-top. they almost all leak water, plus they make the car less rigid

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock