My Revamped Center Console by FieroDev
Started on: 01-07-2013 06:52 PM
Replies: 38 (2285 views)
Last post by: California Kid on 05-18-2015 05:41 PM
FieroDev

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might as well start off with some pictures, here is it as a cardboard mockup.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

after I was satisfied with the rough shape I cut out the sides from 1/4 inch MDF

I then copied the side and made it into a skeleton

Right now all i have on the top is a piece of cardboard for a mockup

Now im just mounting my stereo and HVAC, i have the stereo mounted and tonight i will be mounting the HVAC

More to come tonight,
Dev
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got to love Fiero parts being worked on in the kitchen!
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's looking great so far!
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work
elitopr

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for elitoprClick Here to visit elitopr's HomePageSend a Private Message to elitoprEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awsome!!!!!!!!
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As promised, here is tonights progress. Ive cut the hole in the faceplate for the HVAC to mount in, i still have to figure out how im going to mount it but now its really starting to look like something!

now i know the gaps around the HVAC are not perfect, but that doesnt bother me because when i wrap it in vinyl you wont even notice

Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a nice start. Can't wait to see it completed.

Ben
bulldog85043

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good so far! Are you having to stretch any of the controls for the HVAC?
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks neat but I'm confused.

In this picture you have aux gauges on a flat surface above the HVAC vents.

In this picture that surface has been curved and comes out to a point, rather then up flat so the aux gauges can be mounted in it.

Did you decide on a different location for your aux gauges?
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Looks neat but I'm confused.

In this picture you have aux gauges on a flat surface above the HVAC vents.
In this picture that surface has been curved and comes out to a point, rather then up flat so the aux gauges can be mounted in it.

Did you decide on a different location for your aux gauges?

I still plan to mount the guages where the template shows, all i will do is set the guages into the pannel so at the bottom they will be mounted flush. hopefully this picture describes it better

PFF
System Bot
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroDev

246 posts
Member since Jan 2010

Originally posted by bulldog85043:

Lookin' good so far! Are you having to stretch any of the controls for the HVAC?

I doubt it, its mounted quite close to the stock position so i dont see myself having any issues with the controls reaching, the biggest problem i think im going to have is mounting the control pannel on, tomorrows gonna be the day i play around with that!

[This message has been edited by FieroDev (edited 01-08-2013).]

FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today i made some mounts for the HVAC and now its mounted firmly in the console!

It only needs the one screw to hold it in place so dont mind the other hole drilled

FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got some more work done tonight, i havent sanded the sides down to match the pannel perfect yet, thats for tomorrow. its really starting to look like something now

Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming along nicely
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey man I like what you are doing here....gonna have to try something similar myself at some point. Just out of curiosity what kind of paint did you use on your dash it looks pretty nice. Peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

robiwon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. Are you going to do cup holders or anything?
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robiwon1:

Looks good. Are you going to do cup holders or anything?

I was thinking about it but for the look of the console im gonna leave them out, i really dont see them as a huge necessity.

Pete, What i used was some Vinyl and fabric paint from canadian tire, it works great!

[This message has been edited by FieroDev (edited 01-11-2013).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, but if you are going to all that trouble, why not replace the HVAC with something "better". The stock one screams 80s... I would go with an all electronic one at least from the 90s if not a touch screen.
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Very nice, but if you are going to all that trouble, why not replace the HVAC with something "better". The stock one screams 80s... I would go with an all electronic one at least from the 90s if not a touch screen.

Dittos, otherwise I'm liking it.
PFF
System Bot
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The reason i don't change it out is because I'm not looking to spend a fortune on this project, with changing the hvac I'm assuming it requires wiring, and after just finishing a 3800 swap I want nothing to do with wiring... So far I have under 20 dollars into the console and I'm happy with it.
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroDev:
So far I have under 20 dollars into the console and I'm happy with it.

Wanna know I how I know he's a Fiero owner???

Nice looking console so far! Can't wait to see it finished!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroDev:
... So far I have under 20 dollars into the console and I'm happy with it.

As long as you like it, that's cool...

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 01-12-2013).]

bulldog85043

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Seems like wasted effort.

Any effort, no matter how small, to improve something to make it to your satisfaction is not a wasted effort.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah this is a really cool project so I'm sorry if I came off negative. I'm anxious to see how this turns out. I would like to make a custom console myself.
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As long as you like it, that's cool, but you posted it here for comments, and I wouldn't just repackage the stock HVAC. Seems like wasted effort.

I wouldnt go as far to call it a wasted effort... to each his own!

[This message has been edited by FieroDev (edited 01-12-2013).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
comments amended.

I think it's a cool project and I'm anxious to see how it turns out.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The nice thing with the stock HVAC controls is you don't really have to modify anything in terms of how to actually control the ductwork and the hot/cool damper.

Watching to see how this turns out.

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. You should really invest in some pan head wafer screws instead of those drywall screws though .

------------------

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool stuff! Cant wait to see your finished product. I really love your budget so far.

One question. Is the stereo a cd player? Will it still be able to play discs if at that angle? I dont know much about cd players. I did have one before that wouldnt play discs because of the angle it sat at. Maybe it was just that stereo, I dunno.

Looks good BTW!
PFF
System Bot
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well a lot of time has passed since I last updated this.... A lot of progress has been made since, enjoy!

[This message has been edited by FieroDev (edited 08-16-2013).]

FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroDev

246 posts
Member since Jan 2010
http://s831.photobucket.com...zps51553f74.mp4.html

[This message has been edited by FieroDev (edited 08-16-2013).]

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pics of finished????
NeoMike

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoMikeSend a Private Message to NeoMikeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also would like to see the finished product. I've also thought about redoing my center console in wood.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2015 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can use plumbing pvc pipe to make the gauge face to console eye brow..

looks nice so far..
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
user hasn't posted in 2 years. Don't think he will update
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be nice to see the finished product. But like a lot of us life probably got in the way and he lost interest.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That brow above the instruments will split you head open in a crash, unless it's made by a soft material.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock