l67 conversion on a Formula 88 by runner92
Started on: 01-03-2013 04:00 AM
Replies: 23 (940 views)
Last post by: runner92 on 11-23-2013 09:51 PM
runner92

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for runner92Send a Private Message to runner92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Formula 88 with a t-top that claims to have 86,000 miles on it. It runs, has no rust but many small problems. Before any one states I should just restore it. I plan to with the addition of a new motor/tranny. I need help with mounts, axles,and programing to start. I am looking at mounts from PURPLE REIGN, but am unsure of what moding to the cradle is required. So in short, any info will be met with graditude.

If anyone is close to Tulluhoma,tn that has done this, I would like to meet and seek advice
also I will post pics tomorrow
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey YOU SHOULD JUST RESTORE IT. LOL Actually there is a member you should PM... jb1 .... he's great guy and can fill u in with alot of info I bought a 86 v8 se from him a few years back...he had a polished 3800sc on a stand.....never forgot that one

welcome to the forum!!
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol, thanks for the good words Fireboss.
Runner there is tons of info here on the site, but I will help you any way I can. as far as axles it would depend on mounts so actually Purple Reign would be best to answer what axles work best with his mounts, but most everything else or even as simple as assembling the axles or wiring for you just let me know.. I been working 6 days a week 12 hours a day but will do my best to assist you.... I have a couple projects been put on hold for awhile now and a couple I mess with an hour or two every couple weeks,,

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum fellow Formula owner! You definitely should just restore it! HA! Eh, don’t listen to those don’t change it, just restore it and keep it stock people, it is your car after all. What you can do is build your L67 setup on a second cradle and as long as you don’t cut the trunk for exhaust clearance, the motor swap isn’t a permanent change. Not that you would but you “could” drop it and put the 2.8 setup back in. Mine is a heavily modded work in progress including a future L67 swap but nothing is permanent. I can always unbolt the parts and put stock panels back on…not that I would.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 01-03-2013).]

runner92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for runner92Send a Private Message to runner92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my camera seems to be missing at the moment so pics will have to wait. I plan to leave the car body alone well no modding just restoring. The interior mainly the same. I have always liked sleepers, so that should say it all.[ no body kit, underglow, ricer style mods, or even after market rims]

Todays plan for it tires and to try and get all the gauges working
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by runner92:
Todays plan for it tires and to try and get all the gauges working

Use the search function and you'll find all sorts of info on fixing them. FYI the temp guage is wired wrong from the factory.. http://www.fierosails.com/tempgage.html

and here you can download the manuals http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/news.php
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I plan to leave the car body alone well no modding just restoring. The interior mainly the same.

Man cant tell how many times I said the same thing,maybe one day I will actually do it

ps dont run the gas gauge below a eighth of a tank the gauges are wrong too

[This message has been edited by fireboss (edited 01-03-2013).]

runner92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for runner92Send a Private Message to runner92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the tips the temp gauge seems to work fine but the thermostat is bad. my problem with that is the bolts on the coolant neck are really on there and seem they are about break.
the speed,trip do not work
the fuel gauge is a quarter off so 1/4 is E.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the question of modifying is related to preserving collector value or something... I wouldnt particularly worry about it. There are MANY collector grade fieros out there to the point the market will probably be flooded with cheap nice cars for the forseeable future.... To the point where an average fiero is just going to remain a blend in the bunch.

Typically you increase the value of a fiero significantly with a L67 swap.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:
ps dont run the gas gauge below a eighth of a tank the gauges are wrong too

the fuel gauge is a quarter off so 1/4 is E.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-078597.html
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple of threads to give you some ideas about axles - or at least building your own axles.

Axle building:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-110470.html

Mounts and Axle info:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085145.html

PFF
System Bot
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What trans are you gonna use?

------------------

87 GT
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar ( soon for sale)
86GT 3800 n/a

runner92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for runner92Send a Private Message to runner92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one of the 4T65E trannies
runner92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for runner92Send a Private Message to runner92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went and got tires the other day and seen maroon/ dark red fiero in fayetteville tn. very nice cant wait to fix my head lights and paint

also is there any brake upgrades that i can use the 15 in rims with
runner92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for runner92Send a Private Message to runner92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well its been quite some time since I worked on the car, but I have collected parts. At the moment I have a running motor from a 2000 gtp, mounts, wire harness, axles and a pcm from fieroflyer. I also have replaced the rear brakes completely and the shocks/struts.

Now, I am waiting on a transmission, but in the mean time I will replacing my quarter windows, ttop seals, and the interior.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You gotta restore it! That's what I did!

(I restored my Formula using a fastback clip and a 4.9, but you get the idea. )

Looking forward to hearing about progress. 3800s rock. You gonna do an automatic, I'm guessing?

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you need to stop cruising around town and get the swap started.... lol

------------------

87 GT
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

runner92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for runner92Send a Private Message to runner92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Placed order for windows and found a old ported m90 that I forgot about.

jb1 if I would of not spent the afternoon at your shop, I would of worked on the headlight motors and/or getting the horns to work

[This message has been edited by runner92 (edited 09-09-2013).]

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:
Eh, don’t listen to those don’t change it, just restore it and keep it stock people

A guy I used to work with used to give me this speech. About my 4 cyl - auto.

Cars are meant to be driven.
runner92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for runner92Send a Private Message to runner92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well due to injury I had to have surgery, so the engine change is place on hold.

also the 2.8 has kicked the bucket, so it will parked soon
solotwo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

If the question of modifying is related to preserving collector value or something... I wouldnt particularly worry about it. There are MANY collector grade fieros out there to the point the market will probably be flooded with cheap nice cars for the forseeable future.... To the point where an average fiero is just going to remain a blend in the bunch.

And it is fun to drive
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Restore here means engine swap...
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

with a turbo

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

runner92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for runner92Send a Private Message to runner92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm back, this week I pulled the gtp motor out and the body for the gtp is for sale //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum11/HTML/000235.html
The coming weeks, strip the motor down to replace gaskets and upgrade if I can find decent deals on l67 parts.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock