Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Android ECM scanner for the Fiero (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Android ECM scanner for the Fiero by phonedawgz
Started on: 12-18-2012 03:51 PM
Replies: 44 (2190 views)
Last post by: Phirewire on 10-29-2013 09:02 AM
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking to gauge interest in an Android app that connects to the Fiero (or any OBD1 GM car) via my Bluetooth adapter.

Projected cost for the app is $24.99

You would be able to scan any input or output of your ECM.

----
Bluetooth adapter is listed here - //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/063800.html

Currently the only scanner programs that work with the Bluetooth adapter are PC based. (That I know of)

TunerPro RT is the scanner program I recommend.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 12-18-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroWannaBe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would the app be exclusive to the Fiero ECU? or could one load different .adx files from tunerpro?
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be very interested. Everything out there is OBDII.

The app, for me to purchase would need to be clean looking, and offer customizable gauges (Which gauges to put on the same screen, and their size). Not just a text log of information ect.

Something like this for instance:

Personally, I think that $25 is a bit on the high side. Not just due to the cheapness of us Fiero owners, but 99% of apps in general are und34 $10. The screen cap above is from the FULL FEATURED app Torque Pro OBDII, it goes for $5 in the app store.

Here is a cool video of their gauge overlay in Torque Pro:

I DEFINITELY want something like this for OBDI ! ! ! !

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 12-18-2012).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My intention is to make it available for any GM OBD1. *

If I could sell as many copies as the OBD2, I would sell it for $5.00. I will consider your advice on the price however. Thanks for the advice on the gauges.

* Corrected

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 12-19-2012).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a good point there. There is no way you could possibly do that volume with an OBD1 setup. On that note, I do not think I would go as low as $5 for sure!

On the brighter side, you will be providing a solution to thousands of potential customers out there. There are lots of people with Firebird's, Camaro's and so many other GM cars from the 80's & 90's that would love to have an app that will work with GM's OBD1 protocol.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let the market decide the price. This (AFAIK) will be the only Android OBD1 scanner in existence.

(Subliminal message... Price it at whatever sells. If someone else thinks they can do better, let 'em. )

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
will this be like a scanner, where you can read all info, will you be able to read live, or reread after a certain run time?

thanks
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in this app. I'd love to know what my Fiero thinks on any given day... Also, where could I find a Bluetooth adapter that would work with that Torque Pro?

Zach
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I'm interested for sure. I have Torque and an OBD2 bluetooth scanner, works quite well on OBD2 stuff obviously, but not a 4.9. if you could make something similar i'm all for it.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-19-2012 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there any other scanners than the one you're going to be making, that would be usable with the app? If not, why not include the price of the app in the price of the scanner, and include a code to get the app off Google Play? Or just make the app free on Google Play. Considering the app is completely useless without the scanner, there's really no reason for people to just buy the app on the store.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Bluetooth adapter is available now and by using TunerPro RT allows you to use a Bluetooth enabled Windows based laptop or tablet to view the scanner data. You can also set up a dash of gauges with it.

Originally posted by FieroAK:

I'd be interested in this app. I'd love to know what my Fiero thinks on any given day... Also, where could I find a Bluetooth adapter that would work with that Torque Pro?

Zach

Torque Pro is only OBD2

Originally posted by nightonfire:

will this be like a scanner, where you can read all info, will you be able to read live, or reread after a certain run time?

thanks

That would be a V2.0 consideration

PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009

Originally posted by Raydar:

Let the market decide the price. This (AFAIK) will be the only Android OBD1 scanner in existence.

(Subliminal message... Price it at whatever sells. If someone else thinks they can do better, let 'em. )

Since I haven't seen any other Bluetooth to ALDL devices out there, I would think it would be the only one available.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-19-2012 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
Here is a cool video of their gauge overlay in Torque Pro:

I DEFINITELY want something like this for OBDI ! ! ! !

While it would certainly be possible to overlay data on top of a video for pre-OBD-II scans, it wouldn't be very useful. The ECMs and data streams are so slow, you'll never even remotely close to live information.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
free/cheap units/software doesn't read 87 and up duke P4 ECM...
You need AutoXray etc for them. (P4 controls cruise functions and streams that data too.)

If yours does then is a option for many owners.

I have Old autoxray GM unit for that reason.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-19-2012 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:
My intention is to make it available for any OBD1.

I presume you mean "any pre-OBD-II GM ALDL protocol" here, and not any pre-OBD-II system, no? Please make sure you clarify this in the app description on the store.

You may end up having to deal with a lot of refunds if you don't clarify that it will only work with your adapter, and only with the vehicle types that adapter supports.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct

Also some Lotus, Eagle/Mitsubishi, and GM's Holden and Opel divisions use GM's OBD1, or a variation of the GM OBD1 "standard".
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about OBD1.5 users?

------------------
1986GT 4-speed DOHC

fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dawgz,

I have not got my OBD 1 bluetooth installed yet. However....how about something for the iPhone / iPad people? Your OBD1 bluetooth is great, but I would like to do it on an iPhone and/or iPad instead of TunerPro RT. As you know, I have a 4.9L / 4T60-E conversion.

Thanks,

DARKWING
Mike Parker
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah no problem with the OBD1.5. From the point of the ALDL stream, it's OBD1 still, with the only difference of sometimes having a different connector.

iphone and ipad might be something in the future, but not at this time.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One other thing to consider.

While writing Android apps, there is the option to have code to optimize the screen depending on the device used. It is a little more code to begin with, but well worth it. This will allow the app will work on a small phone screen, or a tablet for instance, and change the graphics and scale automatically.

I have a bad example of this, my local news station app being one of them. It displays just a GIGANTIC version of the same layout and graphics on my tablet, that when viewed on the phone, looks correct nice.

On the other hand, the PULSE news app, displays a nice layout on my phone, and a different layout and resolution that takes advantage of the tablets screen size.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-19-2012 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

One other thing to consider.

While writing Android apps, there is the option to have code to optimize the screen depending on the device used. It is a little more code to begin with, but well worth it. This will allow the app will work on a small phone screen, or a tablet for instance, and change the graphics and scale automatically.

I have a bad example of this, my local news station app being one of them. It displays just a GIGANTIC version of the same layout and graphics on my tablet, that when viewed on the phone, looks correct nice.

On the other hand, the PULSE news app, displays a nice layout on my phone, and a different layout and resolution that takes advantage of the tablets screen size.

It's easy, if 90% of what your app is displaying, is text. If it's graphics and the like instead, it's not as easy; especially since there are so many different devices out there. Even for iOS apps it's quite a lot of work, even though there aren't so many different devices.
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the key here is to use a default, but flexible screen layout. That way it works out of the box, however it can be customized to fit a phone or tablet, in either landscape or portrait modes. I think trying to auto configure is problematic. Perhaps let the user select a layout in each mode or does that get too confusing?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2012 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think the key here is to use a default, but flexible screen layout. That way it works out of the box, however it can be customized to fit a phone or tablet, in either landscape or portrait modes. I think trying to auto configure is problematic. Perhaps let the user select a layout in each mode or does that get too confusing?

More options means more layout to have to deal with. I'd minimize number of options, if any, and try to make it work right with a few common devices at first, and expand later if necessary. Do some research to see what the resolutions of the most common phones/tablets are with Android, and find a balance that works with them all.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am thinking the panels would come down to

1 wide x 2 high

2 x 4

2 x 6

When in the landscape mode the array would swap - for example 6 x 2
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That should work well...

Notice the screen caps above that I did, at the bottom is the indicator that there are more than one page that you can swipe through. The ability to have different pages, with different layouts would also be a plus. say 1 x 2 for instance, for tachometer and Speedometer in a large format. Basically, a way to have different views on different pages instead.

I hope all this is not coming across as pre-ungrateful or anything! That is NOT my intent. Since this is still on the drawing board, now is the time to think this stuff trough for the most part.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2012 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm cool with it.

I figure also I need to have the ability to have several gauge graphics, along with an analog/digital option. Also an option of the degrees of rotation. Some gauges rotate 270 deg, some 180, some 90. I don't think I will use the 90 option, but the other two. I think it [u]might[/might] be cool to use the gauge graphics of some production cars (but not call it that)

I see the multiple gauge graphics, and the gauge tiles as something that will get filled out in the future, but I do want to base the software on a module approach.

Datastream definitions are also one of those things that would be started with the common at first, and then expanded. Of course I would do the Fiero ECMs, the 7730, the 4.9, the 94-95 LT1, and the S1 and 95 Series 2, but still OBD1 3800s to start.

I don't have any intentions of having video btw.

One more consideration needs to be the 'click' effect that the 160 baud data gives. At about an update per second from the ECM, I see a need to smooth out the data. That way it doesn't just look like jumping needles on the gauges.

Also in the future is paring down the ALDL to Bluetooth adapter to a smaller foot print, and fewer components. This would be both to save money, but also to eliminate a fair amount of the circuitry that isn't needed. I also feel the processor I am using to do the speed conversion and status monitoring is a bit of an overkill.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 12-21-2012).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2012 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
App is one thing, but don't we need some sort of bluetooth module to plug into the Fiero ECM? - I'd be very interested in such a thing.

ODBII is common, but I've yet to see an ODBI bluetooth adapter.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2012 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

App is one thing, but don't we need some sort of bluetooth module to plug into the Fiero ECM? - I'd be very interested in such a thing.

ODBII is common, but I've yet to see an ODBI bluetooth adapter.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/063800.html

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there anyone who I sold a OBD1 Bluetooth to that wants to try the first version of this software - Numeric data list only for the display.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the status on this?

If you model it after Torque and that includes a bluetooth odb1 that works [b]while the engine is running normally[b] (i.e.: does not shut off timing advance, or puts the car into diagnostic mode) then I'm all for it.

Send us the Google Play Store link when you're done.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd buy it at $25 if it worked on my Nexus 7 tablet...
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know I'm way behind in computer tech. I understand very little about what I just read. Can someone post a link to a YouTube video of a similar product in action so I'll know what this proposed product could do for me?

Thanks,
Jonathan
CarverToo

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for an update.
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will purchase if you create an android program that will work on my 3800SC ODBII

PM if you have...thanks!
tntcary

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yep I would buy it. By meeting in the middle at like maybe $18 I would rock it out. $25 is not that bad, but android apps are suuuper cheap on google play. I dont think I have ever seen one over $12 and most good ones are like $5.99. But then again all paid apps show up on 4shared.com that you can get for free sooooo.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it takes us paying a few extra bucks to get this off the ground, I would even offer to paypal up front. You obviously have been around here and people can vouch you are not a rip off artist. This would be great and I could use it right now. I am making long road trips 1000 mile round trip with my 88GT and would love something that will work with my new phone. My new android phone has a huge 6" display and a bunch of displays on it from my Fiero would be totally cool.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:
I will purchase if you create an android program that will work on my 3800SC ODBII
PM if you have...thanks!

Go look in Google Play. There are TONS of OBDII apps. This app is being developed for OBDI.

Is there anyone who I sold a OBD1 Bluetooth to that wants to try the first version of this software - Numeric data list only for the display.

I would be willing to purchase the BT adapter, if you send the beta my way to test. I have written, beta tested, coded, collaborated on tons and tons of software to date. Everything from CarPC software (That I have written) to Home Automation, to beta testing for Google and MS.

I am currently running a Galaxy S3, Unlocked and Rooted.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 02-13-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I 2ND WHAT CAPTAIN FIERO STATED!!!

Really would like ,,,my new entertainment system is DROID 4.0 ICS and would love to have this software to run as well!

OPIES FIERO GTX BUILD
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How long would it take you to get a BT OBDI Scanner and Android Software ready and shipped. If I were to pay you tonight, could you get it to me in say a week? I was tossing around the Idea of buying another OBDI Scanner with USB Data logging support, and I think your deal might be better in the long run as soon as I learn to use Tuner Cat stuff.

David

------------------

tntcary

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update?

------------------
Put the blow torch down please, its just a Fiero.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock