My Car. #3 IRM Fastback by Number3IRMFIERO
Started on: 11-07-2012 10:23 AM
Replies: 42 (2524 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-02-2017 12:12 AM
Number3IRMFIERO

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I am bored at work and decided to Google Fiero's. I am a huge car guy and I am very well rounded but never found a decent chat room for Fiero's. blah..bhah..bhah. Let get to the point.

My high school car was a 87 notchback. This is my baby. It was a 4 popper, plain jane and I went the whole 9 yards to make it appear like an 85 GT. I was obsessed with this car. Around 1994 I purchased this odd Fiero. From one angle it's but Ugly. This is a love hate car but I still couldn't turn my back on it. At first, I purchased it to rip the T-tops off it for 87 notchback and rob the two piece 16" rims. This ugly car that I purchased was the #3 IRM Fastback that was built by IRM in MD. I met the builder long time ago at Carlisle. I think his name was Jim?

I am wondering if anyone knows of my car? This would be pre 1994. I use to go to Carlisle all the time. I think It was at the Carlisle show 1994 and 1995. At that time I was trying to sell it.

My car has been sitting in my garage for the past 10 years now. I know the previous owner lived in Long Island. He dumped a LOT of money in this car. This car started out as an 85 notchback SE V6 automatic. I heard a rumor that this car had a targa top installed. The targa was removed due to complications and the T-tops were installed.

If anyone knows of it, remembers me, let me know. I might want to pull it out soon and take it to some local meetings.

Current pic of IRM in garage
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Little dusty!

I found this pic yesterday. Its an early 90's photo. I think my car is in the background.

This is my baby 87 notch

[This message has been edited by Number3IRMFIERO (edited 11-07-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

I believe you need to use the IMG Code for your pics to work.
Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI! Thank you. I think I fixed it. I had the html code. Can you see pics now?
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Number3IRMFIERO:

So I am bored at work and decided to Google Fiero's. I am a huge car guy and I am very well rounded but never found a decent chat room for Fiero's. blah..bhah..bhah. Let get to the point.

Well you've found the place. Anything and everything you ever wanted to know or see done to a Fiero is probably here somewhere. Welcome to the forum.

Both of your cars are very sharp looking. Any more info about your 87? I love the wheels and stance.
Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

Well you've found the place. Anything and everything you ever wanted to know or see done to a Fiero is probably here somewhere. Welcome to the forum.

Both of your cars are very sharp looking. Any more info about your 87? I love the wheels and stance.

I purchased the 87 in 1992. That car has 32K on the chassis. I picked up an 86 GT and swaped out engine/trans. I purchased new front/back bumpers and ground effects. The wing is an aftermarket (one day it will be thrown away becuase I have a real one) I have the IRM scoop that goes over the roof. Suspension is low budget. I cut the spring 20yrs ago. Last time this car was on the road was in 1994 I have new bell tech drop spindles for front and yet to buy springs for the rear. Rims are Audi TT's. They are off the car now.

zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The wing is an aftermarket (one day it will be thrown away becuase I have a real one)

Rims are Audi TT's.

Well before you throw out the old one you might want to post it in the mall for sale on here. It looks like it fits the car really well and I am sure someone would be willing to give you a couple bucks for it.

Were any modifications needed to run the Audi TT wheels? I really like the fatty 5 spoke look.

[This message has been edited by zmcdonal (edited 11-07-2012).]

Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

Well before you throw out the old one you might want to post it in the mall for sale on here. It looks like it fits the car really well and I am sure someone would be willing to give you a couple bucks for it.

Were any modifications needed to run the Audi TT wheels? I really like the fatty 5 spoke look.

The wing is going on the wall. Makes great garage art. It has a crack on one of the pedistals. I repaired it once and it came back. Nothing beats a stock one.

NOPE! Not a thing. I have two TT's and they are 5x100. When I built the car circa 1992, I ran CItation x-11 rims. They are only 14's tho but they look just right. I like the look of HHR rims but think they are 5x112.

PontiacJoe1995

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJoe1995Send a Private Message to PontiacJoe1995Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that look's awesome my friend. Reminds me heavily of the AMC AMX , the way the rear slopes.

Joe.

------------------
1985 Pontiac Fiero GT.
1987 Merkur XR4Ti.
1986 SAAB 900 Turbo.
1994 Ford Taurus SHO ( Sold )
Subaru Justy , Honda CRX , Isuzu Impulse , or a Pontiac Sunbird Turbo wanted.

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! I for one like the era-unique-ness of the IRM fastback. Not pretty at all, but definitely a head-turner.

A previous thread about this yellow one:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/086256.html

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to our obsession!
Nice cars! And quite a slice of Fiero history.

I'm with the others. I really like the TT wheels on the 87. They look *perfect*.

FWIW, Doug Kinney (Fiero Warehouse) on this Forum, purchased the IRM molds from Jim and is still selling most of the parts that they did.
I'm not sure about the panels for yours, however.

He may stop in when he sees your thread. His screen name is 007doug, I believe. He's a good guy!

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-08-2012).]

Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PontiacJoe1995:

Wow that look's awesome my friend. Reminds me heavily of the AMC AMX , the way the rear slopes.

Joe.

An AMX is a killer car. It's on my top 10 favorite list.
PFF
System Bot
Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Number3IRMFIERO

22 posts
Member since Nov 2012
Hi 1988holleyformula. I found this chat room from that post about the yellow IRM. That is the only car I found online. I think it was recently sold becuase the owner of IRM passed away a few years ago. There should be 21 other cars (or kits out there somewhere)

Hi Raydar. The TT rims looked good on the car but going off memory, I think they stuck out too much. I am a huge VW/AUDI nut so I wasn't happy with the outcome. I will have to find pics with the X-11 rims.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the link for the yellow 84 IRM car.
FieroScott

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroScottSend a Private Message to FieroScottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome,
I own the 84 IRM Fiero, purchased it last July and had it shipped from Sun City, CA to WI.
It is in the process of getting the engine rebuilt. It has 39,000 mi but the Turbo did a number on it, the head was cracked in three places. Here is how it sits today.

------------------
88 Red GT 5sp T-Top CJB #1139
88 Yellow Formula 5sp
87 Black GT 5sp
87 Med. Red SE Auto T-Top
86 Black GT 4sp T-Top (Black Knight)
84 IRM (Prototype) Turbo Fastback T-Top
Dr Pepper Go Kart

Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not the nicest car, but still obviously a fiero, maybe some wheels with a better offset it would look a bit better. As for your blue 87 i like the rims.
Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroScott:

Welcome,
I own the 84 IRM Fiero, purchased it last July and had it shipped from Sun City, CA to WI.
It is in the process of getting the engine rebuilt. It has 39,000 mi but the Turbo did a number on it, the head was cracked in three places. Here is how it sits today.

So as it stands, are you and I the only ones around with the IRM's? I noticed you have a Dr. Pepper go cart. Did you get that off Ebay a couple years ago? I was going to drive to Ohio for one but I put decieded I have too many toys.

Does your car have the trunk piston mounted to the fiberglass deck lid? Mine bucked the lid. I removed it from the lid and mounted it to the metal hinge. I also filled in some of the air holes on the deck lid because I noticed the battery was exposed. I understand your car is #1 and stock. I like to customize everything.

Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Number3IRMFIERO

22 posts
Member since Nov 2012

Originally posted by Phirewire:

Not the nicest car, but still obviously a fiero, maybe some wheels with a better offset it would look a bit better. As for your blue 87 i like the rims.

Hmm... HATER! hahaha... This IRM has two piece 16's that are EXSTREMLY RARE!!!! I think the tires are 245's I have spare doughnuts on the front because I changed rims and they are too fat. I have a new Bell Tech from suspension that one day be installed.

I can honestly say this would never be my "CHOICE" Fiero. I took this to Carlisle a few times and got a lot of slack from older Fiero guys. I have heard "Why was the trunk extended" Blah...Blah...Blah.

The only reason I dare bother to sign up for this web site is to network with someone else who has this unique car.

FieroScott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroScottSend a Private Message to FieroScottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine dosen't have a deck lid strut, It had a broom handel in the trunk. It also didn't get the trunk extension, see the large ledge between the trunk and the tail lights.
I bought a set of deck lid struts from Rodney which will go on when I get it back together. They mount on the hinge.

I picked up the Dr Peper go kart locally, it was posted on Pennocks for a day. I bought it from the origional owner who had won it in a drawing at a local grocery store when he was 10.

Here is a couple pic's of another one from the 25th Anniversary Show. This one looks like the other car in the IRM catalog along side mine.

------------------
88 Red GT 5sp T-Top CJB #1139
88 Yellow Formula 5sp
87 Black GT 5sp
87 Med. Red SE Auto T-Top
86 Black GT 4sp T-Top (Black Knight)
84 IRM (Prototype) Turbo Fastback T-Top
Dr Pepper Go Kart

Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well its a good thing it didn't have the trunk piston mounted to the center of the deckl id. I had to cut the bottom support and fiberglass it back into shape.

I thought the body looked different above the tail lamps. I didnt like how the trunk was extended. My car had the grey carpet and they cut it in half and added black material. I found 84 trunk carpet and added some black to make it look better.

Wow!... that is EXACLTY how my car looked when I got it. I ripped off the IRM ground effects. I didn't like how they looked when you opened the door.

Do you have any cracks in your fenders or rear section? You can see the mold marks on the rear section.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw the yellow one in person in New mexico back when i did long haul trucking... happend to run into it at a truck stop
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Seeing as how your from scranton id love to see this car sometime... I own something slightley related but Mine is a DGP stage 3 wide body..... would make a nice photo op for 2 rare fieros in PA
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ohh and welcome to the fourm

------------------

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
(84 IMSA) garage queen
(84 base) big orange firecracker
(06 solstice) my vert Fiero
(00 jeep wrangler) fun in the mud.
The forums Youngest CDL driver

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your IRM, though a rare car, is just not my cup o' tea. But I have to say, I'm in love with your '87. I love everything about it, the stance, the wheels, and the biggest part I'm a fan of....the paint. I love that color on a notchback, and yours is the first I've seen it in.
Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Seeing as how your from scranton id love to see this car sometime... I own something slightley related but Mine is a DGP stage 3 wide body..... would make a nice photo op for 2 rare fieros in PA

The widebody is my favorite. I was in love with the Dole Bananna racecar in the Fiero book. I might pull it out of the garage for spring 13.
Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Number3IRMFIERO

22 posts
Member since Nov 2012

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Your IRM, though a rare car, is just not my cup o' tea. But I have to say, I'm in love with your '87. I love everything about it, the stance, the wheels, and the biggest part I'm a fan of....the paint. I love that color on a notchback, and yours is the first I've seen it in.

It's an odd duck, I own it so I can say it. IT's somewhat ugly. I have grown to love ugly cars. My notch is my baby. It represents: Beg, borrow and stole. The origional plan was to remove the T-tops on the IRM for the 87 notch but in all reality, how much more air do you get with the t-tops removed? Sunroof is way better in my opinion.

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neat to see this is still around and if you two get anywhere near OHIO we could put three together Welcome. Rick B

Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't signed on in three years. Car is still in the same spot. Lol
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Haven't signed on in three years. Car is still in the same spot. Lol

I'm aware it's not an IRM, but you must've felt the fabric of the universe tugging when the following was posted today...

Never seen this before. GT clip with notchie taillights.
ron768

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After I bought my 85, I got a catalog from IRM. I still have it.
Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm aware it's not an IRM, but you must've felt the fabric of the universe tugging when the following was posted today...

Never seen this before. GT clip with notchie taillights.

Greetings Sir!

Incorrect statement. My car is an IRM Fastback that was built by IRM in or around 1987. I met the owner (Jim) in the summer of 1996 and he verified my car was the third body he molded. Think my body was the first one he sold.

I've owned this car since August 1993.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Incorrect statement. My car is an IRM Fastback that was built by IRM in or around 1987.

My statement was indeed correct. You've misinterpreted what I said.
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bring the IRM to the GM Nationals in June (Carlisle). Jim from IRM lives in the Carlisle area and does come by the MAFOA FIERO area. Hope to see you there.
pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First all Fiero show I ever went to was at IRM it was GREAT.
Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Bring the IRM to the GM Nationals in June (Carlisle). Jim from IRM lives in the Carlisle area and does come by the MAFOA FIERO area. Hope to see you there.

Might be an option. The car is basically neglected and my find a for sale sign if I find a nice Grand National.

Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bring the IRM to the GM Nationals in June (Carlisle). Jim from IRM lives in the Carlisle area and does come by the MAFOA FIERO area. Hope to see you there

How is Jim these days?

I spoke to him weeks before he shut down, had some issues with my Quad 4 conversion which I purchased from IRM
He was very helpful

[This message has been edited by Quad GT (edited 01-25-2016).]

Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2016 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had her out this weekend.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2016 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had her out this weekend.

Glad to hear, they were so dusty I was gonna say take them out wash and drive

Pics of them clean?
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2016 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should definitely come to Carlisle next year. It will be Gathers Day weekend. We'll post on here but you can also join us at www.mafoa.com. Joe Burke had his IRM wide body with the Miller- Woods turbo there this year. It's a frequent car at our events although Joe is considering selling.

Jen
ron768

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still have a catalog from IRM from 1986. Shows all the body panels and even had a stage 1 & 2 turbocharger kits along with a few other items.
Number3IRMFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Number3IRMFIEROSend a Private Message to Number3IRMFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why cant I post a pic?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock