Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Dual Din Install... Whos got them and can you provide details?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Dual Din Install... Whos got them and can you provide details? by GADJet
Started on: 10-16-2012 03:10 PM
Replies: 13 (1572 views)
Last post by: 1fast2m4 on 11-05-2013 07:45 PM
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is what i would like. I need my music in my car.... BAD. I have a dual din not this exact pioneer but it has the same dimensions.
I need to find a way to get mine in my car. I have a AVH-P3100BT. My car is yelling at me to get it in there..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a very thorough thread on Double DIN installs here: Ultimate double DIN Stereo Headunit thread (56k warning, tons of pics)
A few knowledgeable posts lost their pictures because the users got banned, sadly the pictures went with them.

What makes this topic harder to find information on than it should be is that unfortunately (as it is with forums in general), rather than bumping my thread to keep it in one convenient place it went to archives and people keep starting new threads with the same question. I wish there were a way to consolidate them all.

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a good thread. Shame it's archived. Thanks for sharing.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

That's a good thread. Shame it's archived. Thanks for sharing.

Send a PM to Cliff Pennock, maybe if enough people will ask about it he'll un-archive it.
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, depending on Googles cache (and the Internet Wayback machine), it may be possible to recover those lost pictures. Just in case anyone wants to dig into it a bit. I would myself, but at the moment, I'm furiously hunting for another thread. Back to the hunt!
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2012 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

This is what i would like. I need my music in my car.... BAD. I have a dual din not this exact pioneer but it has the same dimensions.
I need to find a way to get mine in my car. I have a AVH-P3100BT. My car is yelling at me to get it in there..

Thats a great fit... I'd love to put an Android based 2DIN unit in my car.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This may be really close to what you are looking for. It's called the Pioneer App Radio and talks to your Android phone.

Only downside is that there aren't many apps for it yet. But if you write to Pioneer, and the app maker they may include a port to App Radio.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
And if you have an engine swap with an ODBII system there is even an app that shows all the car's data on it

Autoblog review
DashCommand website
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Looks like you can hack it to gain full Android functionality:

App Radio Forum

Looks like there are 3rd party apps available as well.

Waze works as well.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 12-12-2012).]

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that's pretty cool. However I'm still using ALDL. Not obd2
87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pioneer Appradio 3 is going in this custom surround up to now, but might change my mind for a different 2 din Pioneer head unit.

PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everytime I see a double din install I keep seeing how it should be. Move the hvac below the screen. Bit of a job but would really be worth it. Or get really radical and have screen, vents then hvac.
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Everytime I see a double din install I keep seeing how it should be. Move the hvac below the screen. Bit of a job but would really be worth it. Or get really radical and have screen, vents then hvac.

I am still finishing up the trim and other fine details (but you get the idea) on this and it is not a double din unit, but I did move the HVAC below and moved the vents up higher. However this is a custom console I built to be able to do all of that.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you looking for directions as to how to do it?

In my first Fiero (84 SE) was back in 1999 Had a Single Din Clarion CD Unit and a Matching 1 DiN digitat EQ as I remember the space of the original radio bay is just about 2din, so what I did was use 3m tape to attach the two single Din units together, I doubled up in the front of the units and a single strip at the rear. (here is the tricky part W/O pics) I then stuck a piece of 1" wide 3m double sided tape across the top of the top unit but I left the back on the side that would touch under the HVAC and an extra 2-3" of the red backing plastic sticking out the front, I made all my connections and slid the radios 98% into there new home. Then I removed the red backing on the 3M Tape and shoved the units (quite aggressively) the rest of the way in.

Then I carefully trimmed the Fiero Trim plate so that it fit snugly around the top & bottom of both units so that if the 3M tape did fail the trim ring would still catch them.

The Only reason this might not work on a regular 2Din radio is the Clarion 1 Din EQ I was using back then had a separate "Brain" so the unit in the dash wasn't very deep. I'm not 100% sure about the full depth of the dash 2 din tall.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock