Pontiac Ferrari Convertible by ChuckLS1
Started on: 10-07-2012 09:20 PM
Replies: 44 (1743 views)
Last post by: BrittB on 01-22-2014 08:26 PM
ChuckLS1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this at a auto dealer online. Think it is worth it? http://www.ecoastauto.com/w...ID=1G2PF3799FP218588

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
2000 Grand Prix GTP

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man that's one really long front bumper, some of the proportions look wrong.

I think it's expensive but then again is the roof and X frame in good shape? I'd guess that alone would be worth about half the purchase price.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a Corson Spyder and is one of the rarest Fiero kits ever marketed. It has been discussed at length here

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/084502-2.html
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like a real bad knock off of a 308 kit.. there is a guy in NJ selling a much better looking kit than that for the same price and I think its on an 88

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 10-07-2012).]

Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
It looks like a real bad knock off of a 308 kit..

The Corson Spyder is a replica of the 512 Berlinetta Boxer, not a 308.

Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy it! The Corson Spider was one of the best made kits out there. The kit sold for about $9K when new. Very high-quality fiberglass. 20+ years later and I'm still kicking myself for not buying one off of the assembly line. Obviously check out the damage and see if it is a show-stopper....but this was a fine (albeit shortened wheelbase) kit of the Ferari 512 BBi.

I FAR I

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChuckLS1:

I found this at a auto dealer online. Think it is worth it? http://www.ecoastauto.com/w...ID=1G2PF3799FP218588

YES!!! Easy fiberglass repairs are all that's needed for you to own a very rare, top quality convertible, at a bargain price!

[This message has been edited by I FAR I (edited 10-07-2012).]

88fieroduke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fierodukeSend a Private Message to 88fierodukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The dash looks pretty sweet in it...
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that might actually be corson spyder # 63. many had amber marker lights on the hood in front of the headlights. the pics of 63 don't show the markers.
if i had the cash i would make an offer. most of that looks like a relatively easy fix.
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much is it really worth? I think a 3800 SC would look sweet in it
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to say NOT a Corson. Looks like a rip off of it. Some lines are different and the grills are different, too.

I like the interior but I would pass on the body unless that is your "thing".

Jonathan
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:
I'm going to say NOT a Corson. Looks like a rip off of it. Some lines are different and the grills are different, too.

I like the interior but I would pass on the body unless that is your "thing".

I actually believe it to be a Corson Spyder. The kicker is actually the interior - that is how a Corson looks on the inside.

The thing is the 512 BB replica molds were kept around for some time in various forms over the years. As mentioned above, this particular car varies slightly such as lack of the front markers in the front nose. However that doesn't mean at some point the front cap of the car was changed for whatever reason (say an accident) by utilizing a non-Corson 512 BB nose.

I think it's well worth the asking price. It of course would take sourcing 512 BB body parts and a paint job to get it back right. However you can't pay $6,000 to do that interior and convertible conversion. That alone is worth it.
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the Corsons have any markings on panels or any where else

IS there any way of checkin by the VIN #

[This message has been edited by Quad GT (edited 10-08-2012).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curiosity got the best of me. I pulled out my old Kit Car magazines. It does look as if the convertible car's lines and grills were slightly different than the hardtop version. This is also the correct interior. I stand corrected.

Jonathan
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#63 looks like it has the same rims
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quad GT

1612 posts
Member since Aug 2002

Originally posted by mannysingh:

Where can i get a 512 BBi badge? I could not find one, so i had gotten a 512 TR badge, and does anyone know where i can get a new roof for corson number 63 (spyder)

By the sounds of this the yellow Spyder s his!
ChuckLS1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the VIN 1G2PF3799FP218588 If I get a chance in the next couple of weeks I may go look at it. Its about 2 hours away from me.

[This message has been edited by ChuckLS1 (edited 10-09-2012).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy it and put Amidas 512 nose on it and you would start liking it a lot.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.jtzimages.com/de...2PF3799FP218588H.jpg

Looks like the convertible roof is falling apart. Just above the arm rest, something is sagging.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id say thats a pretty decent deal. All I see is some fiberglass repair. Its real fiberglass so its pretty straight forward, not like different Fiero composites. Even if the top is bad, you have a good pattern and any upholstery shop should be able to duplicate it for not too much money. I get OEM Corvette convertible tops in canvas for less than $300. The real 512s nose is longer because there are an extra set of lights in it ahead of the headlites. It appears that Corson did not have all 4 sets.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 10-10-2012).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:
Buy it and put Amidas 512 nose on it and you would start liking it a lot.

Perhaps some might find that combination desirable, but you'd be mixing two completely different Ferrari models from different eras. The 512 name pertains only to the engine displacement (5.0L) and the number of cylinders (12)... not the body style. The body style of the 1992 - 1996 Ferrari 512 TR (or Testarossa) which Amida's nose replicates, is completely different than the 1973 - 1984 Ferrari 512 BB or Berlinetta Boxer that the Corson cars replicate. The BB is all curves while the TR is all strakes and angles... IMHO melding the two wouldn't look good, but to each his own.
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plus, and I'm guessing here, but Amidas nose is made to fit a Fiero. It may not fit a Corson kit anyway.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Plus, and I'm guessing here, but Amidas nose is made to fit a Fiero. It may not fit a Corson kit anyway.

+1
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone notice the $29K suggested retail price?
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2012 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahhh the dreaded misplaced comma. It should be suggested retail of $2,817.50.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2012 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of the fiberglass looks to be ripped, bent, broken, cracked and distorted. I wouldn't want to be the person trying to put this car body back together again and have everything line up. It can be done but at what cost?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2012 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So we can keep the pics for awhile

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2012 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

85SEnochie

2081 posts
Member since Oct 2007
double post dang-it!

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 10-12-2012).]

ChuckLS1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2012 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could always put a Fiero body back on it.
n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2012 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sacrilegious thoughts.

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2012 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doc John:

Buy it! The Corson Spider was one of the best made kits out there. The kit sold for about $9K when new. Very high-quality fiberglass. 20+ years later and I'm still kicking myself for not buying one off of the assembly line. Obviously check out the damage and see if it is a show-stopper....but this was a fine (albeit shortened wheelbase) kit of the Ferari 512 BBi.

check your PMs
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2012 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I can tell from the photos, to me it looks like a couple of days worth of fiberglass work. I wouldnt think twice about trying to fix all of it.
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was talking to one of the sakes guys there
He knows its a Corson and they won't budge on price
He told me there might be a problem with doors as they rub against the frame which might mean the frame might be sagging.
ChuckLS1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it may have been sold, it's not on their website anymore.

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
2000 Grand Prix GTP

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad GT:
He told me there might be a problem with doors as they rub against the frame which might mean the frame might be sagging.

This is always a problem when you make a convertible out of a car not designed for it. The floor pan/ rocker areas must be beefed up with box or round tubing to keep the structural integrity. A local band here bought a 1958 Lincoln for their 'band vehicle', to use for promotions and parades and whatever. It was a hardtop and they just sawzalled the roof off right behind the windshield. They had to jump into it over the doors since they no longer worked at all. You had to put floor jacks under it in the middle to open a door. It had no top of any kind.

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

This is always a problem when you make a convertible out of a car not designed for it. The floor pan/ rocker areas must be beefed up with box or round tubing to keep the structural integrity. A local band here bought a 1958 Lincoln for their 'band vehicle', to use for promotions and parades and whatever. It was a hardtop and they just sawzalled the roof off right behind the windshield. They had to jump into it over the doors since they no longer worked at all. You had to put floor jacks under it in the middle to open a door. It had no top of any kind.

I bet that was funny to watch every time they got in - didnt they realise that there maybe a safety issue ?
ChuckLS1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is still for sale there. http://www.ecoastauto.com/w....php?UniqueID=528597
Never went to look at it. I might take a ride up there next week to look at it.

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
2000 Grand Prix GTP

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That kinda money you can do EVM-rob's 308 kit and still buy a fiero, I like it but it would need a lot of tweaking to get the proportions correct on it. It looks like the aldino. I'd rather but the coupe one thats on Ebay..

you know what though, for the money If i had it id mess with it, i bet it looks great with the top down.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 01-21-2014).]

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is what I would do. Either make it a fast-back or a Mera.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

That kinda money you can do EVM-rob's 308 kit and still buy a fiero, I like it but it would need a lot of tweaking to get the proportions correct on it. It looks like the aldino. I'd rather but the coupe one thats on Ebay..

you know what though, for the money If i had it id mess with it, i bet it looks great with the top down.

I think there's a reason they don't show it with the top down. Fieros don't have a place for the top to go and it makes a big pile. The automoda top does a better job of it because it has a stowable targa section.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock