60mm Projector Headlights and Halos Installed by Asterix
Started on: 10-06-2012 12:48 AM
Replies: 38 (5159 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 12-14-2020 09:01 PM
Asterix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have installed the latest buckets I got from ProjectorRetrofit (Hairballrm on this forum) in my 1986 Fiero GT. His new style mounts the buckets to the underside of the lids and they are lifted by paddles which replace the stock Fiero buckets. I got the buckets and paddles from Hairballrm along with the uninstalled Hella 60mm (two low beam, two high beam) and installed 60mm (inside dia) halos that I found on the internet. I attached the halos to the face of each Hella with 3M all-weather double-sided tape then sealed with epoxy all around. I specifically wanted the halos as daytime running lights to make my Fiero more visible during the day. They certainly make it more noticeable, especially by Bimmer owners! The projectors are a wonderful bonus that substantially improve nighttime vision. I will post more photos later.

Lid height with the 60mm Hellas with halos is just over 3" at lid bottom, about 3.7" at the top.

As I wanted separate control over halos as running lights, I "separated" them from the stock running light circuit by modifying the light switch bezel and installing two light switches. This annotated photo describes the functions of each switch. For daytime "halos on" I leave the "running lights" switch on the bottom switch set "on" so the halos automatically turn on when I raise the buckets with the top switch. Hairballrm customized and installed the wiring for me.

Fiero recently repainted wth Cadillac Black Sapphire Poly and Subaru Greystone Metalic aero accent.

[This message has been edited by Asterix (edited 10-06-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool!
I'm doing the regular 6060s. Am looking forward to their arrival.

I chose to not use the halos, since I'm more interested in the function than the "flash".
But that's just me. They still look great!
CheshireGrin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CheshireGrinSend a Private Message to CheshireGrinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am wanting to do this exact same set up for wiring and am currently waiting on a set of 60s and am very excited.
Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The halos were not installed for "flash" but are specific to being seen during the day by others on the road. IMO, the stock running lights, down low and inset, are just not visible enough to others on the road so the halos are my solution to being seen. If there is any "flash" it is just a bonus to the practicality. Yah, the "flash" does help aid the practical intent. Works for me!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please don't think I was talking down the halos. That's not the case.
I just don't run with lights on in the daytime. Still like the "flat" hood with the headlight doors closed.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2012 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!

I got to see this car at this years Northwest Fierofest. Pictures here do not do her justice. The color is out of this world perfect. This car has come a long way, and it really does show it.

Tony
Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Tony, thanks for the compliments, great to see you at the FFest. More new photos coming up.
Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Asterix

81 posts
Member since Feb 2006

3M all-weather double-stick tape used to mount the halos to the projectors, J-B Kwik epoxy seals the deal.

J-B Kiwk and electrical tape secure the electrical leads.

Projectors and halos mounted in one of the buckets.

Halos only ...

Projector lows on.

[This message has been edited by Asterix (edited 10-07-2012).]

CheshireGrin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CheshireGrinSend a Private Message to CheshireGrinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any way you could post a wiring diagram for your setup?
CheshireGrin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CheshireGrinSend a Private Message to CheshireGrinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CheshireGrin

693 posts
Member since Oct 2006
Also looks so good its been my wallpaper for my phone for about 2 weeks now.. Love to show it to people to explain what lights I am so stoked about.
Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kewl! Wallpaper! Glad you like them there lights! Here is the thread with the wiring info you seek:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/124869.html
PFF
System Bot
Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Asterix

81 posts
Member since Feb 2006
More photos of the "halo" quest.

Test fitting the halos to the 60mm Hellas.

Testing the beta wiring for the halos.

The 3M "Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape" used to mount the halos to the Hellas.

Tape on the Hella before peeling the red backing.

Red backing peeled of to expose the sticky surface.

Halo stuck to the tape. The halo support ring clips protrude leaving gaps that need to be sealed.

J-B Kwik seals the gaps and better secures the halo to the Hella.

Allen screws to aim lights are accessible from the front of the buckets.

Angel Eyes inverter installed in headlight bucket.

Buckets attached to lids, raising paddle down (lids "closed" position).

Buckets attached to lids, raising paddle up (lids "open" position).

Lid raising-arm pivot joint with Oilite bushing, nylon spacers, and pivot pin with R-clip.

Lid pivot joint with OEM bushing, nylon spacers, and pivot pin with R-clip.
These pivot pins with R-clips are much easier to remove and replace than the OEM bolts/nuts pivots.

Three Fieros with Hellas by hairballrm. Middle one with halos is mine, fresh out of paint shop so aero nose not yet installed.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool!

Thanks for the info and the pics!
Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two "that was then" photos.

May 2004, Central California, two years before I bought it from my friend.

Feb 2008, Oregon snow, two years after I bought it.
Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The new wheels for Asterix have arrived.

And the custom logo ... The Old Flailing Arms Racing Team.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2012 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn!

I just cannot believe the transformation of your Fiero. You have put so much tasteful work into her. It is becoming one of my favorites.

See ya next year...

Tony
Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Flailing Arms logo MrMike's color test using "silver" and "gold" stitching. The "gold" thread will be use in the blue leather seat inserts. The blue and gold was chosen to go with the exterior body and accent colors. Ditto the colors chosen for the wheel inserts. Note that the logo is designed as a stylistic representation of a steering wheel with the two arms "flailing" on either side. And, for those who may not be familiar with racing history, in the 1920s, the "driving style" popular at the time, especially in the race cars with cut-down sides, was to have both arms extended at 9 and 3. Thus their arms "flailed" about as the drivers fought to keep their cars under control.

[This message has been edited by Asterix (edited 03-15-2013).]

Hairold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HairoldClick Here to visit Hairold's HomePageSend a Private Message to HairoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bruce is doing a great job on "my" old Fiero.
Hairold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HairoldClick Here to visit Hairold's HomePageSend a Private Message to HairoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hairold

7 posts
Member since Oct 2012
The wheels look even better in person. (how can a wheel be a person?)
gill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gillSend a Private Message to gillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is there anybody who can put me in touch with the person who i would need to contact to buy headlight buckets like these?
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gill:

is there anybody who can put me in touch with the person who i would need to contact to buy headlight buckets like these?

Originally posted by Asterix:

I got from ProjectorRetrofit (Hairballrm on this forum)

You can find them in the mall. I have a set and love them.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com 87 Gt-5spd-62k miles.

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2013 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gill:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/054226.html

Rick is an absolutely honest seller. I have met him personally, and would have no issue with his approach to this great venture.
salaamq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for salaamqSend a Private Message to salaamqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering, what color is the car? It looks blue in some pictures and black in others.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by salaamq:

Just wondering, what color is the car? It looks blue in some pictures and black in others.

I believe it is a Cadillac color. It is much, much more amazing at night! He has transformed this car immensly since I first saw her. It really is one of my favorites. And the owner is a pretty great guy also, but don't let him know that.
Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The color is GM Black Sapphire Poly with a hint of copper metallic added. Color was chosen because my wife and I liked the subtle way it change from black to blue depending on the light. For accent, the Aero is Subaru Greystone Metallic because we wanted a hint of gold to contrast with the body color. I agree with Tony about what a great fellow I am ... ... but I am very careful not to tell anyone ...

[This message has been edited by Asterix (edited 03-14-2013).]

Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Perhaps Tony will recognize this Fiero! Great looking ride!

[This message has been edited by Asterix (edited 03-20-2013).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2013 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait for this years 'Fest.
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I understand this correctly, these new buckets are attached to the hood and not to the OEM mounting? Can you show more pictures of how you got them set in the car and how they open please? Thanks.
Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buckets are mounted to eyelids, are raised by paddles which mount in place of "original" buckets.

Paddle down in "closed" position.

Paddle up in "open" position.

I have replaced the stock bolts with oilite bearings and pins. Raising arm shown.

I have replaced the stock bolts with oilite bearings and pins. One pivot shown.

[This message has been edited by Asterix (edited 03-20-2013).]

quins&dads88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for quins&dads88Send a Private Message to quins&dads88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick Rocks!
In my ever so humble opinion!
Thanks
Beej
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow Bruce... Just caught this thread... Car is looking great! See you in August WOW!! Real nice!

Jeff

------------------

Mine = 1986/2007 LS4 Fiero GXP
Brides= All stock 1988 Formula

PFF
System Bot
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Asterix:

The color is GM Black Sapphire Poly with a hint of copper metallic added. Color was chosen because my wife and I liked the subtle way it change from black to blue depending on the light. For accent, the Aero is Subaru Greystone Metallic because we wanted a hint of gold to contrast with the body color. I agree with Tony about what a great fellow I am ... ... but I am very careful not to tell anyone ...

I remember seeing this great paint job too. Looks fantastic. I think you said you had it painted somewhere in Richland.
Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments. Paint job was done in Battleground, Washington, same place thedru got his done.
New engine, trans, cradle, etc., nearing completion, hope to have it all swapped out by end of May.
Internet-man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Internet-manSend a Private Message to Internet-manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look great!

[This message has been edited by Internet-man (edited 12-21-2014).]

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2015 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump cuz this is awesome!

I don't understand the wire routing up into the hood?
------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction SOLD

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 07-28-2015).]

Getafix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2016 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GetafixSend a Private Message to GetafixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was Asterix on PFF, now Getafix on PFF ... the wire routing under the hood is just an extension of the headlight wiring because the headlights are now mounted to the headlight doors so the wiring is extened and attached to the hood to "open" with the headlight doors.

It is well to note that the halos were not waterproof (which I didn't know ... until ...) so faded to orange with black crud at the bottom of the rings. I've since replaced them with COB halos which are waterproof. And, the COBs are much brighter!

[This message has been edited by Getafix (edited 08-15-2016).]

anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2020 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought these headlights for the lsj project, and they look great!
anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2020 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

got them installed. Video here
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2020 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look very nice but how is the light pattern? If they are street legal, might try this approach.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock