Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  '86 GT discovered in Australian Junkyard!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
'86 GT discovered in Australian Junkyard! by James_GT
Started on: 08-27-2012 08:12 AM
Replies: 37 (2023 views)
Last post by: tshark on 08-23-2015 07:54 AM
James_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From the description of my video:

Earlier in the year, I got a tip off from a man who used to convert Pontiac Fiero's into kit cars that he had spotted a black Fiero GT over at a junkyard in Springvale.

I was shocked to hear this, because these cars are very rare in Australia and the thought of one ending up in a junkyard so close by was unbelievable.

Rarely do these ever even turn up to USA classic car shows, so naturally I was keen to go down and check it out to see what was left of it.

Once I had found it, I took all these photos and came back several times to pick parts off it for myself as it costs a fortune to ship trim pieces and windows from the US all the way to Melbourne.

The list of parts I bought is very long and some I didn't need for my own car but may be useful to other fellow owners in Australia, so if you are looking for something let me know.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the room to purchase the whole car to keep for spares. However, a friend of mine was interested in possibly purchasing what was left of it. Though I never heard whether or not he went ahead with that.

It's sad to see what was probably a really mint example with less than 75k miles left to rot away. But luckily I was able to salvage something from it while I had the chance.

------------------
James

RHD 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

[This message has been edited by James_GT (edited 08-27-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RikSend a Private Message to RikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had no idea they were ever made in right hand drive! Anyone know how many were made this way??
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rik:

I had no idea they were ever made in right hand drive! Anyone know how many were made this way??

They didn't - it is an aftermarket mod that they have to do down under. There are a few threads on here on converting to right hand drive (I'm too lazy to search ).

Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think that with the work involved in converting a Fiero to right-hand-drive - and that there in Australia you have to have a RHD car or it can't be registered - that it would probably be worth your time to get as much of the components involved in swapping to RHD as you can get. Looking at AusFiero's older threads, it seems to be quite an involved modification to perform. And if that car still has a good amount of the work done on it then it may help out someone on down the road who could potentially import a Fiero to Australia. I see it appeears you pulled the dash. I also see the flex HVAC heater tubes thrown on there to replace the stock molded piece and I'm guessing there's a good amount of mechanicals done to relocate the wheel and pedals.

It is quite amazing to see something like though. I would imagine not too many Fieros ended up in Australian salvage yards.
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We (Aussie)fit a volvo 240 steering rack making them a RHD

Originally posted by Rik:

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does he want a fortune for the parts?
James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Considering the amount of effort it takes to convert a Fiero to RHD, I would say it's not really worth it unless you are driving it daily. You can put them on club permit plates and drive them as they are in LHD form as long as you fill out a logbook. I think you get about 90 days out of the year you can take it out, at least in Victoria.

My '87 GT has a mix of the original and a Holden Gemini steering rack. Not exactly sure how that works, but it was rebuilt recently and works very well.

Some parts seemed expensive whereas others were a bargain. Might feel like that to us over here though when you compare it to the cost of shipping those bits all the way from the US.

A friend of mine from the Pontiac Car Club of Australia was interested in buying what was left of the entire car, but I'm not sure whether he ended up getting it or not. Will find out soon.
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You didn't happen to snatch that radio did you?
James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did. Don't often see those push button radios so I couldn't leave it behind. The car also had the performance sound system fitted, so I took everything from that aside from the subwoofer which someone else must have got to before me.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh bollocks I completely forgot that I was gonna grab that instrument pod from you!

Still gutting to see a Fiero in a yard in our part of the world though.

------------------

Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James_GT:

I did. Don't often see those push button radios so I couldn't leave it behind. The car also had the performance sound system fitted, so I took everything from that aside from the subwoofer which someone else must have got to before me.

Know if it works? interested in selling it?
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Few years back there was a post (build thread) of them converting their fiero to RHD in Australia.... seemed pretty straight forward the dash is same on each side. I remember he used sprockets and a chain for the steering..
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would take the hood and trunk lids for right price.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would you be willing to grab the front turn signals and pigtails? There was member here a few years ago from down under that was selling them. But, unfortunatly was no longer able to get that type anymore. I would like them if the cost and shipping wouldnt' be too much. Thanks for your consideration. -Jason
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

Few years back there was a post (build thread) of them converting their fiero to RHD in Australia.... seemed pretty straight forward the dash is same on each side. I remember he used sprockets and a chain for the steering..

That was AusFiero's car I believe. He was keeping the standard Fiero rack and front suspension to avoid any geometry changes spoiling the '88ness of his car. I wonder what ever happened to it?
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

That was AusFiero's car I believe. He was keeping the standard Fiero rack and front suspension to avoid any geometry changes spoiling the '88ness of his car. I wonder what ever happened to it?

He is driving it
James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phirewire:

Know if it works? interested in selling it?

I tested it a while ago and it worked great except for the tape deck, which does the usual notorious switching sides before ejecting the tape.

If you're still interested in it let me know via PM.

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

Would you be willing to grab the front turn signals and pigtails? There was member here a few years ago from down under that was selling them. But, unfortunatly was no longer able to get that type anymore. I would like them if the cost and shipping wouldnt' be too much. Thanks for your consideration. -Jason

Hi Jason,

I really would like to help you out, but unfortunately someone else got to them first. I'm sure I've seen them available elsewhere. Can't remember off the top of my head where I saw them available, but I'll let you know if I come across them again.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hows that beast of yours coming along James driving or close to it? My cassette player does the switch over too but the last tape i bought was in the 80s so it wouldn't make the play list over an mp3. I have bought the bits to put an after market radio in just is a low priority and too much variety to chose.
James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

hows that beast of yours coming along James driving or close to it? My cassette player does the switch over too but the last tape i bought was in the 80s so it wouldn't make the play list over an mp3. I have bought the bits to put an after market radio in just is a low priority and too much variety to chose.

It's going well thanks mate. It's on the road and it's a blast to drive. The mechanic did a sensational job getting it all together and I'm really happy with the result. It makes me appreciate just how much hard work and effort it must take for people on here to perform such unusual swaps. I'll be taking some videos of it soon and posting them on YouTube when I get a chance. Still trying to work out what to do with the old engine, seems like a waste to have it scrapped being that it's only done less than 80k miles.

I would have liked to use the tape player with one of those auxiliary input tapes to play some MP3's through, but I'm fine with the CD's for now with the grand prix radio.

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

Oh bollocks I completely forgot that I was gonna grab that instrument pod from you!

Still gutting to see a Fiero in a yard in our part of the world though.

Hey Carcenomy,

If you're still after it I'm still happy to sell it to you. Or have you found yourself a replacement already? Got quite a few parts lying around here in storage, might have to make a list in case anyone in our part of the world is needing any.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hi Jason,

I really would like to help you out, but unfortunately someone else got to them first. I'm sure I've seen them available elsewhere. Can't remember off the top of my head where I saw them available, but I'll let you know if I come across them again.

I would sincerely appreciate you keeping an eye out for me. I've wanted that set for a while now, your pic just jogged my memory. Anything you can find would be appreciated! I may be in contact in the future also, as I am looking for some Aussie only specific parts relating to the Holden l67 (3800 SC) for a future project I'm comtemplating. Thanks again! -Jason

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 is still sitting there 90% converted. Life has been tough for a few years now and it has been on the backburner. I will get back to it one day soon though. Cant stand looking at it and not being able to drive it.
PFF
System Bot
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Carcenomy,

If you're still after it I'm still happy to sell it to you. Or have you found yourself a replacement already? Got quite a few parts lying around here in storage, might have to make a list in case anyone in our part of the world is needing any.

Yeah I am still after it, just haven't had anything like enough money to be buying any amount of Fiero parts recently. Need a full set of stock seatbelts/receivers/bolts for my T-top yet. Was thinking of attempting to use a combination of drilling some holes in the damaged sections, tapping them M3 and screwing it all together with some metal strips then covering it all with JB Weld to get it to stay together. But even with all that patchwork it'll never be as solid as an undamaged original.

I'll flick you a PM when I've got some play money next.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
James_GT the fiero 2.8 makes a great upgrade for the 4 Cylinder Torana that is your market there have been a couple done with big performance gain for the car. Have also seen a hilux with a fiero engine in it for sale but other than 4 cylinder fiero owners target the torana crowd.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would he have enough of the 2.8 left to sell it though?
James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2012 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might not be enough of it left to sell it since most of the parts were transferred to the 3.4 during the swap. Not sure exactly what potential it has here, but I somehow feel it's not worth junking when there are only so few of these engines in the country.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2012 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:

We (Aussie)fit a volvo 240 steering rack making them a RHD

Poor volvo
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2012 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Volvo 240 rack eh? News to me, my '84 had a rack from a Hillman and the '87 has a Japanese rack of some kind.
Ry86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2012 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like those signal lenses. Is that a driving light integrated into them?
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ry86GT:

I like those signal lenses. Is that a driving light integrated into them?

Blinker and parking lights.

MATT 1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MATT 1Send a Private Message to MATT 1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which yard is this in? I need the front to extend the wheelbase on mine.

Cheers, M

[This message has been edited by MATT 1 (edited 08-20-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MATT 1:

Which yard is this in? I need the front to extend the wheelbase on mine.

Cheers, M

Check the date of the post before yours.......I think it's gone.
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, that car was there 3 years ago

I hope they got the dash out of it, someone went through a LOT of time and effort to switch it around to right hand drive. An impressive job, as I see no seams around the map pocket, top of dash or anywhere.....

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-20-2015).]

James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, it's definitely gone now. The last time I saw it there was in early-2012. It was at Imlachs in Clayton, VIC.

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I hope they got the dash out of it, someone went through a LOT of time and effort to switch it around to right hand drive. An impressive job, as I see no seams around the map pocket, top of dash or anywhere.....

You bet I did, and as many other bits and pieces I could afford to carry out of there. I don't know what I'll end up doing with the spare RHD dash, but I couldn't comfortably leave it there knowing how rare it is.

Here's a shot of the interior after I had finished collecting parts. Somebody took the outer door panels, there would've been plenty of other usable pieces on there. Such a shame more of it couldn't be saved. How it ended up at the junkyard with only 72,000 miles is a mystery to me.
James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

James_GT

505 posts
Member since Dec 2008
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm curious if you have to reach all the way over to the left hand side to pull the hand brake. I see no evidence that it was moved to the right side.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2015 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

I'm curious if you have to reach all the way over to the left hand side to pull the hand brake. I see no evidence that it was moved to the right side.

Spoon

Yes, it was moved to the right hand side. I haven't seen any RHD Fieros with it still in the original location, it'd be impractical to say the least.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2015 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I deal with many American car owners in Australia and it is amazing how much work some cars are to swap. But most are done very well and are often hard to tell they were not factory.

I have found the guys on the west coast can get away with no conversions. I guess the laws are either different or just not as enforced according to the guys I have asked. I get many Chevelles and Camaro's in the west that are still LHD and I wondered why they never changed things per the photo's they sent me.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2015 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even the fuse box was moved to the right side.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 08-23-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock