Antenna replacement, how to? by FireGirl
Started on: 08-23-2012 11:27 PM
Replies: 9 (1473 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 09-08-2014 01:12 AM
FireGirl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FireGirlSend a Private Message to FireGirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have finally gotten around to replacing my antenna (which was snapped off when I first got my car). I bought a new antenna not know what to do, did some searching and read about a needing a base, which after looking at things, I'm pretty sure I do....... Anyway, I took off the 4 screws on the top part of my fender and I can pull it back but only enough to SEE the base, I can't really do anything else.. What do I do to take the whole thing off?

And do you think I can get this out with some PB and pliers or would it be easier to order a new base?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to replace the base. The base has a stud that the mast screws onto. In your pic the stud in the base is broken off.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll have to pull it through the little hole in the frame just in front of the big rubber accordian wire cover.

Those three bolts are all it takes to remove the base. It just sits on top of the fender frame.

------------------
Jonathan
23K mile '85 notchie w/ 88 cradle, '87 2.8/Getrag, Air, PW, PDL, PM - Still under construction
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

FireGirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FireGirlSend a Private Message to FireGirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, how do I go about taking the rest of the fender off?
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may not need to. If you can get the interior end of the cable through the door frame, you might be able to pull it all the way out from the angle where you took the pic of your base. You should tie some string or something to the cable before you start pulling so you can use the string to pull the new cable back through the same route.

Jonathan

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You shouldn't have to remove the fasteners on the bottom iof the fender, maybe the wheel well ones though, and the ones on top. Then pull the fender top out far enough to get to the bolts. You can reach the grommet area with the door open if I remember right from when i did mine. You can probably reach behind the radio to unplug the antenna from it without removing it if you want, but removing it isn't too tough either. I think there was a clip holding the antenna wire to the body inside the cabin near where the passengers right foot would "point". Fierostore has used antenna bases for $30. Other used sources may be cheaper.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-24-2012).]

Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't have to remove the cable, it just plugs into the base. It is stubborn so spray it with some penetrant first and then twist it off, don't yank or else you might pull the end apart.

I replaced the base on my 87 and all I had to do was remove the top 10mm and 7mm bolts so that the fender would swing away far enough from the car to reach everything.

[This message has been edited by Alibi (edited 08-24-2012).]

commodore_dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commodore_dudeSend a Private Message to commodore_dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious, which antenna did you go with? Mine is missing the antenna (though does not seem to have any damage to the base), and I'm trying to figure out what the correct stock replacement is - the one The Fiero Store has that does not indicate a GM part number, or the one that seems to be the right GM part number that you can get from lots of parts places (which I have doubts about just because of how many other GM vehicles, including trucks, seem to use the same part)...
FireGirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2012 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FireGirlSend a Private Message to FireGirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by commodore_dude:

Just curious, which antenna did you go with? Mine is missing the antenna (though does not seem to have any damage to the base), and I'm trying to figure out what the correct stock replacement is - the one The Fiero Store has that does not indicate a GM part number, or the one that seems to be the right GM part number that you can get from lots of parts places (which I have doubts about just because of how many other GM vehicles, including trucks, seem to use the same part)...

I just used the Fiero Store's antenna. On the top it says 9-407, antenna mast for GM, Ford, Chrysler. On the side it says Dorman 720-043
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alibi:

You don't have to remove the cable, it just plugs into the base. It is stubborn so spray it with some penetrant first and then twist it off, don't yank or else you might pull the end apart.

I picked up a Formula last year that had the stud broken off the antenna base. With everything else I've been doing with this car, fixing this issue was low on my list of priorities... so I've suffered for the last year with very limited radio reception (no antenna).

I finally decided to fix this, and I was very happy to read the above post and realize that the coax cable did NOT need to be removed from inside the car.

Sure enough, the coax cable just sort of twisted/pulled off the base. Did the opposite to attach it to a good base from one of my parts cars. I've got a zillion radio stations to listen to now!

I love this forum. Special thanks to Alibi for the info quoted above.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock