Quarter Window Sail Panel Removal/ Shift Plate Reinstall by curyan910
Started on: 08-20-2012 11:46 PM
Replies: 13 (1097 views)
Last post by: Edmonchuck on 05-18-2014 04:59 AM
curyan910

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for curyan910Send a Private Message to curyan910Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone.

I have no clue how to remove a 88GT Sail Panel. Does anyone have a step by step walk through and hopefully plenty of images on how to do this? I found how to remove them on a certain website but later realized is was not for the 88gt body style. It was for the notchback. If anyone can send me the a link or a method to remove them that would be awesome.

Also has anyone found a good way to reinstall the shift plates once the little tabs have been broke off? I am guessing besides being bolted down you could just put some sort of adhesive or caulk on the seat side of the plate to keep it down tight. Has anyone had any luck with any sort of method for doing this?

Thanks everyone
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pappy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the service manual says to use fishing line >20# test attached to 2 handles - Work from rear to front slowly sawing thru the tape - I know I read that somewhere
or
You might have the line already installed so look before you leap

You can also use wd-40 to help keep the material from fusing back together and I would imagine some Goo Gone for clean up
Alcohol also aids in the break down of some adhesives

Good luck
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried the fishing line method but it didn`t work too well for me.
I was replacing my windows so I wasn`t too patient with it either.
I ended up trying to start pushing them from the small end and they started to move before they shattered.
Use a wood or plastic (no metal) scraper to remove the excess tape.
I then used 3M #08984 adhesive remover followed by a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water to clean the surface.
It`s funny that Pappy mentioned the line already being in there because on one of mine it did have some line stuck in the tape.
Would the factory had done that or might that had been an attempted removal at one time?

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 08-21-2012).]

Super Duty Critter

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did my sail windows, prepping the car for paint, and broke one of them. The idea is to get something thin and flexible to poke through the tape that back the window. Then use some fishing line (Spiderwire at WalMart is recommended by many here) to push through the hole. Then you start sawing it back and forth as you gently pull it through the tape, cutting it away from the car. My first one came out easily. The second one was within an inch of being out and just cracked all the way across. Looks like I'll be buying some repops.
curyan910

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for curyan910Send a Private Message to curyan910Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So is there no clips or anything holding the sail on for this body style? From what I read the notchback has clips holding it on, and am unsure if the fastback style has clips also.

And it seems the best advice anyone has is be patient, keep the panels warm so the tape peels better and be more patient with them...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not certain but starter fluid may remove the sail panel adhesive and also allow removal of the old tape without scratching. I just got to figure out if the starter fluid will hurt the windows. I have two sail panels that I want to install but they are about 6 years old and the adhesive tape has dried up. Got to get these things perfectly clean before I install them. Does anyone know what will get the tape/adhesive off?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, they came from the factory with "fishing line" inbedded in the tape. Nice idea but I found on my old GT that the line just broke into peices.

Nolan
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a sail panel off somewhat easy---keep the heat (sun) on it--push GENTLY from the inside top pushing out. GENTLY.I was able to get a gap all the way across the top and GENTLY worked off the window to the bottom edge and used a blade to cut through the tape on the bottom--got it off in one piece--no cracks or breaks!

------------------
Pat Jones

Edmonchuck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdmonchuckClick Here to visit Edmonchuck's HomePageSend a Private Message to EdmonchuckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the old thread bump, but there was a question on this thread that I would like to have an answer too.

Is this quarter panel only held on with tape, or are there other fasteners? The reason I ask is that the tape on the rear of the panel is loosened, and I have to drive back up to Edmonton. I am a bit worried that the panel may fly off, or crack. I'd look at retaping it here, but I don't know how long I would have to wait, and also, I don't want to do something stupid and wreck the window.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, there so old now, its unlikely you can remove one without breaking it. Most have hairline cracks all thru them already from age. My way of removing them, is buy new ones, knock a hammer thru the middle of the old ones and pull out the pieces. Works great.
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Edmonchuck:
Sorry for the old thread bump, but there was a
question on this thread that I would like to have an answer too.

Is this quarter panel only held on with tape, or are there other fasteners? ..........

The GT Quarter Windows are held on with double sided foam tape......No Clips or other fasteners
PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Ya, there so old now, its unlikely you can remove one without breaking it. Most have hairline cracks all thru them already from age. My way of removing them, is buy new ones, knock a hammer thru the middle of the old ones and pull out the pieces. Works great.

But use a pair of GOOD AND TOUGH GLOVES!!!

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

But use a pair of GOOD AND TOUGH GLOVES!!!

Those things are SHARP once broken.
Edmonchuck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EdmonchuckClick Here to visit Edmonchuck's HomePageSend a Private Message to EdmonchuckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all!

The sail panel held for the trip. I haven't tried to replace it yet, but it looks like the break/replace method will be the best method. I did put a small strip of paper near the back of the panel to measure the buffeting, and found it was minimal. The one piece made the entire 2.5 hour drive and is still there... and that is with the notorious crosswinds on that route!

So, ordering new panels and letting sleeping dogs lie until I have to do something.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock