Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3800 Conversion - Looking for a good mechanic in Florida to make conversion for me

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Conversion - Looking for a good mechanic in Florida to make conversion for me by jackcastro
Started on: 08-04-2012 03:21 PM
Replies: 15 (584 views)
Last post by: jamin on 01-05-2016 10:03 PM
jackcastro

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jackcastroSend a Private Message to jackcastroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,
I have an 85GT auto that I would like to convert to a 3800.
I am looking for a good and reasonable mechanic in Florida, the closer to South Florida the better.
Please PM me information.
Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know closer is easer, but not necessarily better. I would hit-up the usual 3800 shops (most likely will be out of state) and go with the one who has the best reputation AND can do it for a price that makes you happy...

I am sure there are quite a few forum members in Florida that can do the swap for you; but if a problem arises (for whatever reason) it will be hard (or hard"er") to take action against them. Going with a reputable "shop" or business is always your best bet; as a business that specializes in such work wouldn't want to tarnish there reputation and will usually bend quite a bit to resolve a situation...

Just my .02
jackcastro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jackcastroSend a Private Message to jackcastroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much would a turn key swap cost? Any ideas?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turnkey swap harness (mine) - http://reddevilriver.com

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-04-2012).]

Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the reputable Fiero 3800 -related swap shops have waiting lists, and I believe a good ball park figure to look at is anywhere from $6,000 to $10,000 USD. Remember you are taking into account all the parts - and extensive labor - an individual will perform, so those price numbers are not unreasonable.

The knowledge to perform any of the variances on swapping a 3800 engine is very well known - almost beaten like a dead horse. It can be done for a lot less if one is willing to dedicate the time and patience to do it.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 08-04-2012).]

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GT Automotive in Melbourne is well versed in 3800 swaps, and is semi-involved with our clubs up here. I highly recommend talking to the owner, Robert.

http://gtservicecenter.com
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A while back there was a guy by the name of Danny Patton who was doing the 3800 swaps in Florida.. Don't know what became of Danny or if he is still doing them. I saw some of his work and it looked decent. I met Danny at the Daytona show around 2001 and he was advertising for work there.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-05-2012).]

jackcastro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jackcastroSend a Private Message to jackcastroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also met Danny a few years ago. Excellent tech, but lost track of him. He used to live in Orlando, then in West Palm Beach. He used to do also some great fiberglass work.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jack,

I have the ability to do this swap. As you know, I have one myself and am working on another as we speak.
Pappy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jack you have a PM from me

And no I'm not offering to do the swap - Just another option

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 08-04-2012).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man i almost forgot about you Jimmy.

Yeah he learned the hard way , after getting shafted by a so called expert, so he knows his way around the swap and he is close to you.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 08-05-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jackcastro:

I also met Danny a few years ago. Excellent tech, but lost track of him. He used to live in Orlando, then in West Palm Beach. He used to do also some great fiberglass work.

Danny was a talented engine swap tech, fabricator, and custom fiberglass craftsman. He even developed a design for building rag top Fieros. He appears to have disappeared from the Fiero hobby. Its too bad as he had much talent to offer Fiero owners.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I researched this extensively. $6-10k is about right on the money. One thing to know is that the really good people here also usually have a waiting list, so it may not be something that happens immediately.

Regardless of who you choose:
- You should NEVER have to deliver all funds up front
- Get a contract in writing
- Do your research
- See examples of their work. If you are paying someone to do it, it should look like it came from the factory that way... or better.

I've lost count of the threads where people have given someone a ton of money and ended up with a car that's in pieces, a car that barely runs or no car at all. To me $10k is a seriously large chunk of coin, to others it's only a 1 week crack hookup.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT Auto (Under the knife @ Sinister Performance... stay tuned. )
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Daily driver)
'09 G37x w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)

Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Robert Craig - GT Service Center, Melbounre will do a good job. He might take a little longer because it is a sideline for him. but all the comupter work will be proper.

Otherwise there is Dean (Whodeanie) Cain up in Atlanta area.

------------------

Frank Martin
87 GT
3800 s/c - lowered with Held Motorsports suspension - Suicide Doors by Archie
Custom Paint
Fun To Drive Daily Driver

87 Convertible
Sunshine Car

Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jack, you've got a PM - Thanks!
jamin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaminSend a Private Message to jaminEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recent purchased a half-complete 3800 swap for a 1988 Fiero Coupe. And I live in West Palm Beach, Florida. Looking for an updated to this question on people with expertise and willingness help complete the 3800 swap. I believe I have most of the parts, but I'm sure I don't have all of them. Looking for initially a paid consultant who can help me develop a plan to complete the project. And then once all the parts are ready, a shop willing to do the "heavy lifting" to put it together and get it running.

I'm willing to pay well for the consultant with 3800 swap experience to come to my home or I can bring the project to you on a trailer.

Thanks, Benjamin

------------------
Benjamin

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock