Re-creating the Fiero frame by lou_dias
Started on: 07-25-2012 10:48 AM
Replies: 170 (17799 views)
Last post by: FieroLost on 04-06-2016 11:13 PM
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's too bad it's not actually a 3d printed supercar.. still cool though.
IP: Logged
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bozzie:

I've heard of people using the cradles from other cars and swapping them in complete. One person used a cradle from a Grand Prix with the suspension as well. I wonder if the impalas with a aluminum cradle could be adapted. I'm sure the axles and hubs are much stronger than the fieros .

I know a guy w/ a Cadillac subframe w/ N* motor and trans still using the Caddi suspension on the rear of his Fiero. So yes, it can be done. Every time I see one of those AL sub-frames in the bone yard, I stop and look at it for 10 min or so just thinking of how I could make it fit. They are so sweet.

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 06-25-2015).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tesla Model S is almost all aluminum, there are some steel reinforcements and the bumpers are plastic.

The stamped sections for the sides of the car are really light, I can lift it with two fingers.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/inside-tesla-52912
retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2016 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, this is the thread that never dies. Anyway, I just read today that there will be a brand new 2017 DeLorean, with modern improvements to the construction, suspension geometry, all new modern engine, and updated creature comforts. As an added bonus, 2017 parts will be completely compatible with existing 1981-1983 cars. It got me thinking about the Fiero and in particular this thread again. If only we had the public interest that DMC does...
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exactly!

Some should start with the cabin section ... because to me, the rear section needs to be remodeled to just accept the engine cradle [and possibly suspension and brakes] from the GTP and/or G6 ... so that those drivetrains are drop-on.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the full story on the DeLorean resurrection for any interested. DMC is taking advantage of a provision in the latest highway bill to allow low volume replicar manufacturers to bypass crash testing, but they still have to meet current federal emissions standards. I should also note that while the current DMC has some of the original tooling and millions of NOS parts, they still had to reverse engineer a few things via 3d scanning and CAD, not to forget that they are also taking liberty to modernize some stuff using the measurements from their scans. Rumor has it they are developing a new cradle to accept an LS3, but they arent admitting anything yet. http://www.newdelorean.com/blog/
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if they'll build a factory in Ireland and scam the UK government out of millions before going under again like last time?

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

I wonder if they'll build a factory in Ireland and scam the UK government out of millions before going under again like last time?

Maybe, but the new DeLorean is actually quite stable, and to the original company's credit, the car was built by the same people that brought you the Titanic. The new company is based in TX and has been supplying DMC enthusiasts with parts, sales, and service since the '90s. I just brought it up to say that it can be done. For what $$$$$$, I don't know, but if anyone should make an attempt at resurrecting the Fiero or any other car for that matter, DMC would be the ones to take notes from. I can think of a few others, maybe Singer and Icon, that would also be good to copycat on reverse engineering.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The key for the Delorean is that they are sitting on millions of dollars of parts and lets face it the road worthy cars are not using them up fast so a new model will be a good way to unload the parts. The law change is what made it possible.

Updates had to be made as some of the supplier parts are just not available anymore.

The original engine sucked then and even more today so a better engine is required. The LS conversion have been popular so why not do if from the start and add a Chevy 4.3 V6 too. They both will fit.

No one is going to reproduce the Fiero unless there is someone with a large supply of NOS parts. That is the only reason this one is happening.

The key to the Deloreans stiffness and strength is the back bone suspension that was designed by Lotus. That is the best part of the car. The body is mostly crumple zone.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Tesla Model S is almost all aluminum, there are some steel reinforcements and the bumpers are plastic.

The stamped sections for the sides of the car are really light, I can lift it with two fingers.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/inside-tesla-52912

Most cars are like this anymore. The use of Aluminum on the more expensive cars is more extensive but Boron Steel is used on the cheaper cars but does the same job. The new Cadillac Omega uses both in a new way to give light weight and the most strength. That is why the CT6 even larger than the CTS is about the same weight.
FieroLost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLostSend a Private Message to FieroLostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned earlier, without the molds to produce the drive-able chassis, reproducing the Fiero is a Lost cause.
This community should maintain focus on preserving and/or improving the one's we have now.

BTW the Delorean chassis is very simple X-box type backbone, and does not require die molds to fabricate or stamp the sheet metal.
The Fiero required 273 separate stampings to be spot welded together to form the driveable chassis.

Good Luck
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave