Dash Speaker Recommendations. by Stainless1911
Started on: 07-18-2012 09:31 PM
Replies: 19 (941 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 09-28-2013 10:51 AM
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im putting together a radio for the Fiero, and wanted to know what would sound good, really good, for a dash speaker. I have Kenwood 4x10s in it now, but they aren't anything to get excited about.

I'm looking at these now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pr...&smid=A36NY6MO5E7I8U

------------------
I have a 1987 Fiero, 4 cylinder 5 speed. With an 88 engine.

[This message has been edited by Stainless1911 (edited 07-18-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed these and could not be happier JBL P560C 5.25" 2-WAY COMPONENT SPEAKERS. For the money you can't go wrong.

------------------

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087461.html

Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did you get a 5 1/4" Speaker in the dash?
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like this.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122103.html

With an adapter plate you can mount up to a 5.25" speaker in the 4 x 10 opening. Depending on the magnet size of the speaker you may need to heat up the corner of the HVAC duct on the drivers side and dent it in a little to clear. You also might have to trim the 4 x 10 hole a little bit for the speakers basket, but not much (less then 1/8th inch per side) but that depends on how deep the speaker basket it.

**There is a diagram I can PM you that you can print out to use as a template to make the adapter plates yourself. Credit to Fierosouund for supplying the diagram to PFF must be mentioned though, Thank you Fierosound!** Personally the seperates will provide the best sound, although the 4 x 6 plates you posted about will supply really good sound also.

Edit: ** IMSA GT beat me to my edit !

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-19-2012).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a copy of the file that Fierosound created to make the template. Let me know if you need it. You simply print it out on a piece of paper and trace it on your material to make the speaker plates.

Edit to add.....I should read a little better. KHW already offered you the file

2nd edit......He edited his post to reflect mine

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-19-2012).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Like this.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122103.html

^^^^^^^^That is exactly what I did, ^^^^^^ They sounded real nice with the amp in the Monsoon head unit but when I added the amp they really came alive....

Originally posted by Khw: With an adapter plate you can mount up to a 5.25" speaker in the 4 x 10 opening. Depending on the magnet size of the speaker you may need to heat up the corner of the HVAC duct on the drivers side and dent it in a little to clear. You also might have to trim the 4 x 10 hole a little bit for the speakers basket, but not much (less then 1/8th inch per side) but that depends on how deep the speaker basket it.

**There is a diagram I can PM you that you can print out to use as a template to make the adapter plates yourself. Credit to Fierosouund for supplying the diagram to PFF must be mentioned though, Thank you Fierosound!** Personally the seperates will provide the best sound, although the 4 x 6 plates you posted about will supply really good sound also.

Edit: ** IMSA GT beat me to my edit !

------------------

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087461.html

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 07-19-2012).]

Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, thanks I really would like that template, if someone could send it, I can make one easily. A 5.25 would give me many more options for speakers. I have a 12 going in the front of the car, and maybe 2 12s going in the back, so bigger speakers in the dash would be a benefit.

Any ideas on what to do to add another rear speaker? I have 4x6 infinity reference speakers in the spot behind the seatbelt mounts, but I cant seem to find a place for another. I dont want them in the headrests.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
File emailed to you.
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you.

I measured across the approximate point where the center of the speaker would be in the dash, it was 5 1/4". That tells me the speaker would be very very close to being too big.

Are there pics of the speaker installed?
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was the first time I made some but it was just temporary. I can't find a picture of the second set with the seperates in them .

It is a tight fit, but they do fit.
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. that is really close.
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is enough room to install more speakers with a clever template with 2 levels.
Iamlost22185

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Iamlost22185Send a Private Message to Iamlost22185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Can someone send me the File for that. I would like to change my speakers out.

NormanTorino1971@gmail.com

Thanks Thomas
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Alpine 6x9 2-ways under the dash firing up thru the speaker openings. 80w rms/channel amp. Sound is terrific, no sub required.
It takes a bit of duct modification, but is well worth it.
Four_hundred_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did you do that olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car has Pioneer 4x10s and my wife's has Kicker 4x10s, they sound good to me.
The rear speakers seem more important from my experience.
I have Kenwoods in back. Just picked up some Infinities from a junk car for my wife's.
As usual depends on the nomimal output power of your player and the optimum power of the speakers too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-27-2013).]

xquaid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xquaidClick Here to visit xquaid's HomePageSend a Private Message to xquaidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! Great thread!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Four_hundred_86:

How did you do that olejoedad

Pull the dash, remove the defogger/vent ductwork, mount speakers to underside of dash (trimming opening for speaker to fit the 6x9), cut and melt the ductwork for magnet/basket clearance, remount ductwork, reinstall dash.

Cannot see them, looks totally factory when grilles are installed in dash.
Four_hundred_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Pull the dash, remove the defogger/vent ductwork, mount speakers to underside of dash (trimming opening for speaker to fit the 6x9), cut and melt the ductwork for magnet/basket clearance, remount ductwork, reinstall dash.

Cannot see them, looks totally factory when grilles are installed in dash.

Fantastic thank you sir!
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Iamlost22185:

Hey Can someone send me the File for that. I would like to change my speakers out.

NormanTorino1971@gmail.com

Thanks Thomas

File sent.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock