Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  84 Buick Century with 4.3 V6 diesel, possible future swap.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
84 Buick Century with 4.3 V6 diesel, possible future swap. by chetw77cruiser
Started on: 07-15-2012 10:47 PM
Replies: 15 (1054 views)
Last post by: dratts on 08-26-2013 03:31 PM
chetw77cruiser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well today was an interesting day. I acquired an 84 Century with the 4.3 V6 diesel and th125c transmission. This vehicle has been sitting since 01 but it still started and ran enough for me to drive it home. I am surprised that it even started let alone drove. Smoked a bit but I attribute that to the 10+ year old fuel. Sometime in the future I plan to install this into one of the 85 SE's that I have in storage and make it into the econo-car. Fuel is going to be cheap considering I am already making bio-diesel for the farm in small batches. Curious to see what kind of mileage I can get with this engine swap. I may even look into swapping an Isuzu in place of the auto and maybe even a light turbo to bring power back to sea level rating. Living at 8000 feet does have an effect on engine power.

This could get interesting. I will keep everyone posted.

I know, call me

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds interesting, and a unique project. I would get rid of the 3-speed though, for at least a 4-speed, if not a manual.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Sounds interesting, and a unique project. I would get rid of the 3-speed though, for at least a 4-speed, if not a manual.

A manual would seem to have too low of gearing for a diesel, no?

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be an awesome swap.

I've heard the 4.3 diesels were overall more robust than the 350's. Personally i like the th125c, overall reliable transmission.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow one that till runs.

There are not many of them left today for a reason. Might want to check part supplies before you get too far along with it.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read through that topic earlier and that is why I am here now. I plan on doing a few modifications to the engine, mainly for longevity when facing a turbocharger. Mainly strengthening the lower end and the clamping force of the heads. The previous owner stated that he was able to attain over 40 MPG on a regular basis with the car before he retired it/couldn't drive. Curious what I may be able to get in a Fiero.

I will need to go into the engine and freshen it up a bit. Several years (10+) of sitting is not the best of mechanical equipment. I do know the Stanadyne DB2 injection pump needs some work. Idle is good, but anything over 1/2 throttle and it starts to miss and smoke. Hopefully this is just a fuel issue from the old fuel on board. Otherwise it starts up without a problem and settles into a decent idle after a few seconds.
Four_hundred_86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh my friend so many projects... I like the aspect of a highly fuel efficient diesel in a fiero. truthfully I think there is still something to the economy side of the economy box sportscar. Tell you what I definitely know someone willing to put in some serious road test time on it. So I say shoot for Walden to Kansas City 1.5 tanks? that would almost be cheap enough for my broke ass. Good luck my friend and lets see those tools finally get dirty!

------------------
Honestly, What is a "stock" Fiero?

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will make one comment that there are members here that consider older 350 chevs to be old truck motors. A diesel is more of a truck motor than a v8 without a turbo it would just be a disappointment. It is not a modern motor it is as old as what you have this is not an upgrade. Please put your efforts into a modern diesel if you must have an alternative fuel. Do not do this swap for anything other than the fact you cannot obtain any other motor. I can appreciate anyones work i am not the kind to knock you down but if you want performance you can do so much better. Even if the year was 1984 i don't see any more performance or efficiency to be gained for the swap. If it is a matter of no choice then it isn't a terrible swap you can still do worse but i just must ask why?
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why?

Because it's there.

Do it.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

I will make one comment that there are members here that consider older 350 chevs to be old truck motors. A diesel is more of a truck motor than a v8 without a turbo it would just be a disappointment. It is not a modern motor it is as old as what you have this is not an upgrade. Please put your efforts into a modern diesel if you must have an alternative fuel. Do not do this swap for anything other than the fact you cannot obtain any other motor. I can appreciate anyones work i am not the kind to knock you down but if you want performance you can do so much better. Even if the year was 1984 i don't see any more performance or efficiency to be gained for the swap. If it is a matter of no choice then it isn't a terrible swap you can still do worse but i just must ask why?

Sure. I don't understand why anyone would fix up a 56 Chevy, either. After all, any new car handles better and has more modern technology throughout. Who needs that old junk. That's called sarcasm, BTW. If I had the money, I'd try to stuff an old nailhead Buick into a Fiero. Can you imagine the visual hit if you could get a Ford flathead in there?

PFF
System Bot
Michelhaugh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done this swap.

What do you need to know?

Rick M.
865-945-8932

aka DieselFiero

P.S. Be sure to leave your phone number if you leave a message!

[This message has been edited by Michelhaugh (edited 08-25-2013).]

Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like an interesting swap. I would like to put a diesel in a Fiero but I wasn't sure what Trans axle would bolt up to what block. I look forward to the progress.

Ben
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go for it! Put whatever motor you want in your car. That is the true spirit of Fiero ownership!
chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the offer and the encouragement, unfortunately the engine had either a bad head gasket of cracked head. With that, there will be no diesel anytime soon due to the car being sold for more than I purchased it. Now I can concentrate on swapping in a modified 4.9 with 5 speed. Two running 4.9s and a 4.5 Allante engine make this decision easier than the diesel 4.3. I know someone that can make a new cam, not a re-grind, making cam choices a non-issue.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:
Sure. I don't understand why anyone would fix up a 56 Chevy, either. After all, any new car handles better and has more modern technology throughout. Who needs that old junk. That's called sarcasm, BTW. If I had the money, I'd try to stuff an old nailhead Buick into a Fiero. Can you imagine the visual hit if you could get a Ford flathead in there?

My first car was a 49 ford with a 53 flathead engine. The adapter is the only issue I see. Well that and the fact that it is a 6 volt setup. That car had more room around the engine than anything I've had since. Flatheads forever! I beat that car all through high school and it never let me down.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock