Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What should I use to glue the front emblem back on?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What should I use to glue the front emblem back on? by TheDigitalAlchemist
Started on: 07-02-2012 03:14 PM
Replies: 13 (408 views)
Last post by: TheDigitalAlchemist on 07-20-2013 07:22 PM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the emblem slipped off the black backing - what should I use?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SkyeBologna

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkyeBolognaClick Here to visit SkyeBologna's HomePageSend a Private Message to SkyeBolognaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used JB Quick on my. It's a faster drying version of JB weld.
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Household "GOOP" adhesive works very well for adhering automotive trim pieces and it dries clear.
Automotive "GOOP" is also available, but I don't think there is any difference from the household "GOOP" other than the price.

------------------
Now new owner of a Black TTop 88 Fiero GT and owner of a Silver 88 Fiero GT. Also a second time owner of an 85 Fiero GT. Bought my first fully loaded Red Fiero GT new in 1985. Fiero's are Fabulous, Fix'em and have Fun! Note, Avatar picture is Mr. Bean (not me, ha ha).

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the quick replies - I was going to use goop, but wanted to ask here... Just bought the 3M stuff off 'the eBay"

+'s awarded to all - wheeeee!

take care!
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I"m too late but throwing 2 cents in because I feel good someone mentioned using the "Goop". that is what I used to reattach mine yesterday. description on the 3M tube looks very similiar to Goop.
firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glue
Fierosmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosmithSend a Private Message to FierosmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the above sound like good/great adhesives, the only thing I would do in addition is to scuff up the back of emblem and mating surface of the "badge holder".

I'd use a medium grade of sandpaper, like 220 grit.

This gives the "glue" a little more bite to grip with.

Jim

------------------
The only thing more Fun than Driving a Fiero, is Learning how to Work on one...

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had very good luck utilizing the double sided 3M trim tape for emblems. So far more than five years with zero issues. That is how the original emblems and letters were attached and some of mine were installed for more than 20 years until they were removed for paint and/or restoration.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 07-04-2012).]

Olderthandirt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OlderthandirtSend a Private Message to OlderthandirtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
45 years ago we were used 3M emblem & trim adhesive, never had any problem with it. The produce has stood the test of time.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Double sided 3M trim tape for emblems is more than enough. You don't want something too hard as sooner than later you may need to put a new one to keep looking nice. After 5 yrs I needed a new one for the new paint job and the 3m was easy to remove.

PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just use silicone sealer.
FireGirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FireGirlSend a Private Message to FireGirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was told to use epoxy. Cleaned off the back side, its only been a week but its still there
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, I was able to take the whole emblem off the car today (I noticed it was loose) - What should I use to reattach the emblem?

(The center peg was cracked off, but the side peg is still there)

Thanks

edit: I used a two-part epoxy, that should do it...

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 07-20-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock