Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Plasti Dip... Experimenting with paint schemes on my Fiero... (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Plasti Dip... Experimenting with paint schemes on my Fiero... by Synthesis
Started on: 06-22-2012 08:30 PM
Replies: 63 (4769 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 03-06-2014 03:09 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This stuff is great...

I've always wanted to do a true two-tone paint scheme on the Fiero, and finally decided to bite the bullet...

I painted the car following the vision in my head so I could finally see what it looks like...

I used three cans of Plasti Dip. I still need one more to even the driver's side out some, but over all, it looks good.

What do you think?
Click for huge pics.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, three cans did all of that?

A lot of the Corvette guys have been using plasti-dip for stripes and experimenting. Works great!
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Three cans did everything from the back of the front fenders around the bottom and back. The hood, roof, nose and decklid were already done.
jake88fm2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jake88fm2Send a Private Message to jake88fm2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like how you left the red.
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And then this stuff peals right off right? Might be something to look into If I can't properly paint my hood I'm making or my IRM scoops before I head off to school this fall.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Big Paul:

And then this stuff peals right off right? Might be something to look into If I can't properly paint my hood I'm making or my IRM scoops before I head off to school this fall.

Yep. Peels right off.
The more coats you put on, the better it looks, and the easier it is to peel off..

Too thin a coat, and it peels off in small chunks. A lot of thin coats, and when you go peel off, it comes off in a large sheet.
Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if they sell a color that would match 86 GT black really closely. I just want something that will look decent until I can find the funds to buy an air compressor, and won't be hard to revert back
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's the greatest thing since PB Blaster to come in a rattle can.

It comes in Red, White, Black, and Blue. You can custom order colors from the website.
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of our service writers did his whole truck with this, looks real good, been on for almost 2 years now. for some good info check out the site dipyourcar.com

dan
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
That was the paint scheme I had on my old 88 (except the black top you have).
I re-painted the lower half from the trim line down black. The top half was factory red. That was my favorite paint scheme...

That looks really good.

-Dave
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where do you buy it? I would like to do some experimenting with it.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the MN club show... You can find spray cans at Lowes, home depot, etc....
Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ace has more colors than home depot, its not in the paint section though
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neat paint scheme... Looks familiar . Looks down at the bottom of this post, LOL. However, I ended up not going that way and then sold it last January.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 06-24-2012).]

Darksyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love plasti-dip! just did all the chrome on my x5. rims are next up. The stuff works great. Sweet spot seems to be 5 heavy coats. Heavy enough to look glossy but not run.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Driving home from the after-show cruise to The Finish Line cafe, I had a truck pull up next to me on I-94 and honk. I looked over to see the passenger giving me two thumbs up...

I can only assume the new paint scheme is the source.

Khw, I've never seen that photo before. Very nice... I always thought the Notchback lent itself very well to this "wedge" style paint scheme.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Khw, I've never seen that photo before. Very nice... I always thought the Notchback lent itself very well to this "wedge" style paint scheme.

I actually had painted it that way, but the white area was white primered. Seeing the blue and white together like that reminded me to much of a police car. Red and black on the other hand, looks pretty good . So, I ended up painting mine the same scheme as FieroAdams. It still needed the rockers from a GT and few other things to finish it off when I sold it, but it was getting there.

Leukay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeukaySend a Private Message to LeukayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excuse my noob question, but I'm assuming that this is only a temporary thing to see how you like the look of a possible future paint job. Am I correct in my assumption, or can this stuff be used as a pretty permanent modification?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Leukay:

Excuse my noob question, but I'm assuming that this is only a temporary thing to see how you like the look of a possible future paint job. Am I correct in my assumption, or can this stuff be used as a pretty permanent modification?

You can leave it on indefinitely... You may need to touch it up from time to time, but I spoke with a guy yesterday who's had his whole Dodge truck painted in this stuff.. It's been on there for 2 years, and he says he's never had to touch it.

Avoid high pressure car-washes (Touch free) and the kinds with the spinning wheels if you want this stuff to stick. A good hand wash is more than adequate.
Darksyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Avoid high pressure car-washes (Touch free) and the kinds with the spinning wheels if you want this stuff to stick. A good hand wash is more than adequate.

only if you use a cpl thin coats. If you stick to the 5+ heavy coats it will be fine. I've been through delta sonic 4 times so far with no issues. Also a cpl guys around here have had their rims painted for a cpl yrs with no issues using delta sonic. So it all depends on how well it is adhered.
Godzilla

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodzillaSend a Private Message to GodzillaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i cant realy tell in the pics, does it come out matt or gloss?

------------------

lrn2internet

The Redbull Fiero

'86 SE v6
PFF
System Bot
Darksyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its a matte finish unless you buy the plasti-dip glossifier for your top coats.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hate using spray cans. (Okay, I suck at spray painting.) I wonder if this stuff can be rolled on like lots of people have done with Rustoleum paint? I wouldn't mind trying this on my hood and decklid.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I hate using spray cans. (Okay, I suck at spray painting.) I wonder if this stuff can be rolled on like lots of people have done with Rustoleum paint? I wouldn't mind trying this on my hood and decklid.

Dipped, brushed, sprayed... Could probably be rolled if thinned suitably... It dries very fast.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Could probably be rolled if thinned suitably... It dries very fast.

Would love to see the results if someone has done this.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eventually I will be doing this to my Vette and Fiero.
Depending on who gets the body work done first.

I assume your paint was in good shape, mine has to come off the car so I will also have the joy of sanding all the blue off the Vette before I can do it but the Fiero is in better shape and I just have some spots to fix.
Does it level and fill ok? Or should I plan on a coat of primer.

Looks like a Large car package would be under $400 and there is a sprayer in the package (Wagner) so you don't have to mess with the cans.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Eventually I will be doing this to my Vette and Fiero.
Depending on who gets the body work done first.

I assume your paint was in good shape, mine has to come off the car so I will also have the joy of sanding all the blue off the Vette before I can do it but the Fiero is in better shape and I just have some spots to fix.
Does it level and fill ok? Or should I plan on a coat of primer.

Looks like a Large car package would be under $400 and there is a sprayer in the package (Wagner) so you don't have to mess with the cans.

The areas I covered with plasti-dip were pretty good and still shiny. Just a quick wash and then a spray once dry.
I am about to test it on the primered surfaces (decklid/spoiler/hood/etc)...
It levels and fills great. You don't need to prime... It bonds very well to even a smooth painted surface, and then just peels off.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
www.dipyourcar.com

Lots of info and DIY video
deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if that stuff would work on dashes and door panels...

------------------

Darksyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deceler8:

I wonder if that stuff would work on dashes and door panels...

If you would have went to the link posted above, you would see that it indeed does work on the interior.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This stuff is great...

I've always wanted to do a true two-tone paint scheme on the Fiero, and finally decided to bite the bullet...

I painted the car following the vision in my head so I could finally see what it looks like...

I used three cans of Plasti Dip. I still need one more to even the driver's side out some, but over all, it looks good.

What do you think?
Click for huge pics.

That's pretty cool... sort of reminds me of B.A.'s van on 'The A-Team' (I mean that as a compliment...)
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Playing with the Plasti-Dip again... This time on the Aurora...

The Olds has chrome trim that surrounds the windows, and chrome badging...

Not anymore.

As of tonight, the chrome trim is blacked out, as are the badges...

Photos incoming as soon as I finish peeling the tape off.
Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car looked totally awesome in person at the show last weekend. This stuff is the neatest thing since Silly Putty.

So I take it the Aurora is running ok then?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Comparison shots...

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 06-28-2012).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The funny thing is that BMW charged a couple hundred for 'shadow line' trim... you just did it for six bucks.
Darksyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

The funny thing is that BMW charged a couple hundred for 'shadow line' trim... you just did it for six bucks.

having the sport model saved me from having to do that lol. I did everything else that was chrome however. Still waiting on my new black/white roundels to match.

(excuse the instagram pic)

My Username Is

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My Username IsSend a Private Message to My Username IsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread just changed my life. I have a van that I'm looking to do something with and this is the ticket. thanks for sharing, now to do some planning.
Darksyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gonna pick me up 4 more cans of black and some glossifier to do the rims this week.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by My Username Is:

This thread just changed my life. I have a van that I'm looking to do something with and this is the ticket. thanks for sharing, now to do some planning.

A-TEAM VAN?
84se2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On a side note us Canadians can't experiment with Plasti-dip. Cheapest place I found it was home hardware @ $22.56 a can :O . Yellow for some reason being on $16 a can. Absolutely absurd prices.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock