Started on: 06-20-2012 11:16 PM
Replies: 67 (3125 views)
Last post by: smartaxel on 09-30-2013 08:43 PM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.racertrust.org/Properties/Property_List

Fiero Assembly Plant http://www.racertrust.org/P...p_Pontiac_Fiero_1121

This property includes a 1.4 million-square-foot building, the former Plant 17 Fiero Assembly Plant, and a parking lot on 43.1 acres of land along Baldwin Avenue. An adjoining Powerhouse was previously purchased by DTE Energy. The property is located just southwest of the larger GM Pontiac North Campus in a heavy industrial zone, and is approximately one mile north of Downtown Pontiac. Infrastructure at the site includes electric, water, sanitary and storm sewer.

Fiero Powerhouse http://www.racertrust.org/P...iero_Powerhouse_1116
The Fiero Powerhouse, part of the former Fisher Body Plant, was purchased by DTE Energy through a ground lease, though the RACER Trust retains ownership of the 14 acres of land at the site. The property is located in Pontiac along Baldwin Avenue, near the larger GM Pontiac North Campus.

found from the story http://jalopnik.com/5919294...whats-left-of-old-gm
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1.4 million square feet? hmm...might be able to squeeze a little go-cart track in there.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought the plant was slated for demolition?
fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Assembly Plant is Under Contract
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This plant has been idle since 1988? Is it still in usable condition?
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will buy it and store MR2's there.
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

1.4 million square feet? hmm...might be able to squeeze a little go-cart track in there.

really though, how cool would it be to have an indoor track that uses fiero bodies inside the fiero plant. I'd go.

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fred will buy it

Rick B
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

Fred will buy it

Rick B

I LOL'ed

Why would anyone buy the LAND the Fiero Powerhouse is on, if DTE owns the buildings on the land? Similarly, if the Fiero plant is 'under contract' does that mean you'd simply own the land and not have use of the actual factory?

Here's a thought: The Fiero Store is a multi-million dollar a year business, they could move operations there, and start a Fiero repair business, maybe give factory tours with a little gift shop at the end (I think the factory used to have one?) THAT would be cool!
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is all the machining tools, parts bins, and everything that was told to the press?
"everything is probably un-touched since that last day of work (Aug 16 / 1988)"

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

Four_hundred_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say that is unlikely most of the tools have probably been moved and or purposed for other means. although i am certain there is all kinds of fiero bits lying around probably a few discarded body panels wheels bits and pieces nothing monumental by any means but enough to make you smile. After the plant was to go on shutdown permanently it was likely that most everything useful was sold off to competitors and or re purposed the molds and copyright stuff along with any prototype stuff were likely destroyed... trade secrets less someone get the molds and start making unauthorized fieros
PFF
System Bot
paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been at the plant several times in the last 4 years. Beleive me there is nothing there. I have some of the trash barrels, FIERO signs. Grand award sign 53"X96" which I was able to obtain last year. Would post a photo, but my pip will not post. I could e-mail someone and they could post it . The article about the sale of plant #17 and other GM closed plants was in the Detroit News 6-20-2012 section C Business & Autos.

Ron T.

Historian
owner of Indy #305 on Indy Pace Car list

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O (My Indy on right / #1 IMS)

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Here's a thought: The Fiero Store is a multi-million dollar a year business, they could move operations there, and start a Fiero repair business, maybe give factory tours with a little gift shop at the end (I think the factory used to have one?) THAT would be cool!

The Fiero Store is owned by Leader Industries, which is not solely a Fiero parts supplier. I doubt they would spend that kind of cabbage just to cater to the Fiero fanatics. Not to mention, The Fiero Store just moved to another facility.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2012 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
Why would anyone buy the LAND the Fiero Powerhouse is on, if DTE owns the buildings on the land? Similarly, if the Fiero plant is 'under contract' does that mean you'd simply own the land and not have use of the actual factory?

For the same reason you'd buy an office building where all the offices are under contract already. It's called an investment. You spend money expecting to make a return on it.

EDIT: Oh, and "Under Contract" as it mentions on the listing page probably means someone has put in a contract to purchase it, and it's likely to be sold soon. That's how real estate sales work.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 06-22-2012).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just interesting to know... I wonder if any old signs are about or whether every bit of pontiac is gone.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Supposing money wasn't an issue, what's the legality behind someone buying the plant, somehow restarting production (I realize the molds, machinery, & so on are no longer in it & even if they were the issue of maintenance blah blah blah) & selling the car. With Pontiac as a company being closed, & the car now nearing 30 years in age, I'm just curious about complete reproduction, or rather restarting production. I'm sure someone still owns any copyrights, but with time those too will expire.
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that area, when I used to smoke, I'd get almost all of my weed within a couple miles of there. It's not the best area, bring your pistol. There is a tiny little car sales place about 1/2 mile from there, it had a Fiero on the roof since they were new, I don't remember if it's still there. The plant is only a couple miles from the Great Lakes Crossing mall as well.

Oh, and you might want a 4x4 to cope with the road quality in the area.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-22-2012 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Supposing money wasn't an issue, what's the legality behind someone buying the plant, somehow restarting production (I realize the molds, machinery, & so on are no longer in it & even if they were the issue of maintenance blah blah blah) & selling the car. With Pontiac as a company being closed, & the car now nearing 30 years in age, I'm just curious about complete reproduction, or rather restarting production. I'm sure someone still owns any copyrights, but with time those too will expire.

GM will forever own the trademark until such a time as they sell it off, or just decide to stop renewing it; neither of which is particularly probable anytime in the reasonably near future.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

Fred will buy it

Rick B

That's where the future Fred Bartemeyer Fiero Museum should be.
Caulkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaulkmanSend a Private Message to CaulkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My brother worked at the Fiero plant when it was shut down. He brought home a bunch of VIN plates that were scheduled for production use but when production stopped he found them in a scrap bin.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes all the stuff in the plant of any value is long gone.

GM used the plant for storage and some other tasks but never production. This plant has a rich history even before the fiero.

Pontiac will renew the name for many years to come. GM has kept up recent names and also gone back to collect many of the names in the past. This way they can control their use and image. Also if they ever consider using them again they will have first rights. Not saying I ever expect the Fiero to ever come back again.
PFF
System Bot
deadwood

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deadwoodSend a Private Message to deadwoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting pic -

http://updates.jalopnik.com...inally-sold-remember

------------------
'86 Fiero 2M6

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Phone calls placed to Rick Marcicki...I'll see if we can get some cooperation as far as looking for "stuff" from the plant.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 11-02-2012).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

johnyrottin

5464 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Just got off the phone with Ken Pennington from the dismantling company. They are currently working out details for plant disassembly with the city of Pontiac. I spoke with him about two points:

1) Saving any Fiero related memorabilia that they can find (I even offered to fly up there and join them in a walk through looking for "stuff" to save)
2) Possible last gathering of Fiero club members and enthusiasts at the plant prior to disassembly (great PR for their company in the media)

Strangely enough, Jim had a Fiero in his early years! I promised him we would pick him up in a Fiero to bring him to the event should we be able to organise it. Awaiting phone call from Rick for timelines and inputs.

Your thoughts?

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 10-31-2012).]

fiero67

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats awesome... wish i lived closer! If this works out.. I hope A LOT of pictures will be taken!
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Just got off the phone with Jim Pennington from the dismantling company. They are currently working out details for plant disassembly with the city of Pontiac. I spoke with him about two points:

1) Saving any Fiero related memorabilia that they can find (I even offered to fly up there and join them in a walk through looking for "stuff" to save)
2) Possible last gathering of Fiero club members and enthusiasts at the plant prior to disassembly (great PR for their company in the media)

Strangely enough, Jim had a Fiero in his early years! I promised him we would pick him up in a Fiero to bring him to the event should we be able to organise it. Awaiting phone call from Rick for timelines and inputs.

Your thoughts?

I can drive there, it's less than 20 miles and hold things they find or even a truck full of bricks for future distribution.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tim Seagraves just gave me a call and he loves the idea. He is personally going to go by and look around for any Pontiac or Fiero items. He likes the idea of a gathering for us so we can visit the factory one last time. He also liked the idea of saving bricks from the factory buildings for us. Also, thanks for the offer to grab and store items. That may come in very handy!!!

Tim is going to work through some PR details and get back with me on all this. Most importantly he will work through some dates. This may end up being a very quick to throw together gathering. If this comes to fruition we will need two things: a good showing and some vendor participation!
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone can collect the bricks, put me down for one. We'll work out the cost details.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on when that happens, I would drive there for the event
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

If anyone can collect the bricks, put me down for one. We'll work out the cost details.

Me too. I wish I still had buddy passes to fly out if an event happens. It's just a check of a drive

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770
"SE" Stormtrooper Edition
Rescued, resuscitated and reversibly modified! (I'm so not done yet!)

Poly all round & Black Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45 on 18x8 (47 offset w/ 8-9mm spacer) 1.5 coils cut off 1984 WS6 springs
Rear: 265/35 on 18x8.5 (45 offset) Coil-overs w/ 10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

Everything is the previous owners fault!

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Michigan is home for me, so it won't take much to get me to come. Just let me know when. I will even drive the convertible up in the winter if I have to. Definitely save me a brick as well.
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to attend! I was just there this summer, feel free to send him these pics, or any of the others of Fieros at the plant over the years.

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.freep.com/articl...Lapeer-based-company

GM's former Pontiac plant sold to Lapeer-based company

The trust charged with selling or redeveloping 89 properties General Motors shed in bankruptcy said today that it had sold a Pontiac plant.

The Revitalizing Auto Communities Environmental Response Trust (RACER) sold the 1.4 million-square-foot Fiero Assembly plant to Lapeer-based North American Dismantling Corp., which has already bought two other former GM plants in Pontiac.

The buyer has struck a tentative deal with an unidentified company that wants to move 30 to 50 workers into the space after it’s been renovated, according to a news release.

The RACER Trust, which has completed 20 sales of former GM properties, said the 43-acre Fiero site could have a new user before the end of 2013. The trust has a fund to conduct environmental cleanup at the former GM sites. The Baldwin Avenue plant is located a mile north of downtown Pontiac.

“This is a tremendous piece of property, and it will be well-suited for economic growth once we make some needed adjustments to the infrastructure, removing portions of the building that are simply no longer usable,” NADC President Rick Marcicki said in a statement. “Our purchase of this property paves the way for new long-term jobs here, and we’re excited about the future here.”
fiero67

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

I also will pay for a brick from the fiero plant!!!! If a list is to be made, please put me on it!!!!!!!

FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always wondered where they parked the cars when they came off the line?

I drove around the place when we went to the 25th show but besides the employee parking infront of the plant and the small parking on the side that was used for storage, I don't see where they could of parked the lines of freshly built cars.

The local firebird/camaro plant we had here and the solstice plant in Delaware had huge lots filled with fresh cars.
paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was in the plant this summer. The large award sign that I got last year is the last piece of FIERO memrobilia in the plant I did a complete walk through. Have talked to security and said all FIERO items are gone. If I hear anything about the plant being destroyed I will post. I have the article that was in the Detroit News about the selling of plant #17 and others. I know plant #25 was being destroyed. Will post a photo of the grand award sign when I can get PIP to work on my new computer.

Ron T
Historian
Indy owner #305 and parts car #244 destroyed!

------------------

paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

paced84

915 posts
Member since Sep 2004
If plant #17 is destroyed, my plan is to number a brick and take a photo at the plant so one would know it is from plant #17.

Ron T.

------------------

[This message has been edited by paced84 (edited 10-31-2012).]

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My phone somehow double posted....by itself while in my jacket pocket... yikes!

Happy Halloween!
------------------
1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770
"SE" Stormtrooper Edition
Rescued, resuscitated and reversibly modified! (I'm so not done yet!)

Poly all round & Black Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45 on 18x8 (47 offset w/ 8-9mm spacer) 1.5 coils cut off 1984 WS6 springs
Rear: 265/35 on 18x8.5 (45 offset) Coil-overs w/ 10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

Everything is the previous owners fault!

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 10-31-2012).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2012 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I'm able to collect the bricks, I'm not looking for a profit. I'd just want to cover the shipping costs. I will take pictures of me loading at the plant and unloading at my house. I'll do the best I can to not break any bricks during the loading and unloading process but I can't wrap every one in bubble wrap. If there's a specific brick or bricks in the pile that's at my place I'd do my best to send it.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2012 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We can have them available at meetups as well.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock