Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Finally a member of the 1988 GT club (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Finally a member of the 1988 GT club by qwikgta
Started on: 04-22-2012 12:51 PM
Replies: 86 (5361 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 12-19-2016 05:30 AM
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2013 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, I don't know how I missed this one.
IP: Logged
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so Sunday I went out and picked up a few belts to test out the tensioner. I put on the second one and I got a good fit, but I had an issue. The pulley was too small to lift the belt up past the waterpump. So at the waterpump I had the belt rubbing against itself (in opposite directions). I felt this would lead to belt wear so I went back to the parts store and got a few bigger pulleys. Then the issue I had was that the pulley was not able to clear the bolt head on the tensioner. I tried a few different bolts and no joy. So I decided to scratch the whole thing and start again.

This time I used a new Ford 3.8L pulley off a T-Bird. I had good luck finding both the spacer and bolt (correct thread on end and thicker bolt for the main body) in my parts box. Then I had to make a small metal plate to act as a stop for the tensioner (to clock it at the correct position). Big issue with this design is that the new tensioner works clockwise vice the old one that was counter-clockwise, so I had to put it on the other side of the engine. Now it's attached to the front head vice the alt bracket. The belts I had were the wrong size so back to the store for new belts, and after trying a few I found one that fit. What a bunch of work for something so small. If this does not cleat the hood, I'll cut up the damn hood before I do this all over again.

I did save everything from the first try in case I have no other option but to revert back.

Cheers.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 02-14-2013).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001
I needed another vacuum source and as it turns out I had an extra hole in the intake at the "Removed" canister purge control valve. I built a bracket with a brass vacuum bung and installed it after painting. I found a 180 degree rubber hose and then grabbed a new rubber hose /w end and installed it on the manifold. I am going to find another 180 degree bend rubber hose for the end and instll a small portion of a hard line between the two. This will work for now, but i'll fix it soon.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 02-14-2013).]

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

I used Dayco part#89014. It is a larger Idler pulley that solves this issue as it is 109mm and use a 80" belt.
I did get some belt sequel when the RPM dipped below 750 rpm but I fixed that right up by upping the idle with my DHP.
I have a large cam so I needed to up it anyway as the idle would not stop hunting until I did.
There is also a 131mm pulley Dayco part#131087 that may work even better.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:
I used Dayco part#89014. It is a larger Idler pulley that solves this issue as it is 109mm and use a 80" belt.
I did get some belt sequel when the RPM dipped below 750 rpm but I fixed that right up by upping the idle with my DHP.
I have a large cam so I needed to up it anyway as the idle would not stop hunting until I did.
There is also a 131mm pulley Dayco part#131087 that may work even better.

From what I can tell my issue is with the tensioner bolt hole. its tapered in like a V and the issue I had was that a bolt with a bigger head contacted the pulley, and I could not get a pulley large enough to clear the bolt head. I'm not sure if the pulleys I tried were the numbers you listed. I am 99% sure that what I have now will work, and I if I need another inch or so clearance I can run a 79.5" belt.

I am running a 80.5" belt on it now and I do have the extra flex in the tensioner if needed. A 79" was too small, and if the store had the 79.5" or 80" id have used it, but they only had a 80.5" on the shelf. I'll keep an eye out for a smaller belt and keep this one in the trunk as a back up. I can also clock the tensioner downward another inch or so if I need to, so as it is now I do have some room to flex with. But if it clears the hood as is, I will not touch it again.

My goal with this three day weekend is to tape/loom my harness and then start working on the car to get it ready for the install. I want to run the fuel lines and drop the tank (new pump) with the engine out so I have the extra room.

Rob
unboundmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2013 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

well, got some work done on the swap today Got a box of parts in on Friday, and also got back my exhaust mani's all ceramic coated. Put on the last bits and now I can start the harness.

made up a rig to put the hole in the firewall in the right spot. This rig will help me run all the wires and I hope it will help in making the harness the correct length.

Also started cleaning the engine bay. I removed all the insolation, and all the crap I wont need for the swap. Lots of the rubber was dryrotted, but the good news is 99.99 free of rust.

I hope to work on the harness this week, but I may not get to it until next weekend.

Cheers

That is just beautiful...

And I agree keeping the original look and color scheme. Great job

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 02-16-2013).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
finished the loom. hope to drop the gas tank and install the fuel pump, new hose and finish up the supply/return lines. Then it will be time for install......

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
changed the location of the CC servo. I didn't like the old spot. This gives it a better angle on the cable.

almost done with the engine bay. I removed all the unused brackets and now i just need to hit a few small areas with some more chassis black POR.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2013 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the first step in selling the car is making it a roller. So Sunday I spent the day putting the motor in, the suspension on and then getting it back on the ground. Its not the correct time to put the motor in, I still had a few things I needed to do, but if I'm going to sell it, it needs to be able to be moved. I may still work on it from time to time, but I don't plan on putting any more money into it. I do have a lot of parts for it, some will go with it, some will not. If I get it running, i'll ask more for it.

for future ref, the hose from the evap to the top of the intake was not used

for future ref, the hose from the evap to the top of the intake was not used

I have to cut a little around the dog bone so that I can clear, but that was the only area that has any interference.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 05-06-2020).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much are you selling it for?
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2013 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 09-01-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what happened to the she Hulk? I see her in the background jacked up and ready for the trans swap. A F23 could get er done with minimal $$$. A F40 NOT so much.

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:
So what happened to the she Hulk? I see her in the background jacked up and ready for the trans swap. A F23 could get er done with minimal $$$. A F40 NOT so much.

Yea, I was under it checking out the leaky seal, I was hoping to find the bearing/seal I bought months ago, but after a week of looking for it, I still can't find it. Now I just need to get the wheels back on and get her on the ground. I have a club meeting on Saturday, and I plan to drive her one last time before the new trans and full suspension/brake upgrade. Stay tuned for more info on my HT motorsports tubular control arms, QA1 coil overs, dropped spindles and 13" Wilwood kit.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to get this thread near the top. I will start updating it soon.

F40 swap done in the Green car (LS376). Plan to update that thread too.

Rob
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice build. Nice thing about the 3800 NA is it gives good power and excellet fuel efficiency. Question about your exhaust. Where did you get the manifolds coated and how much did it cost. Wondering if and why you removed the factory welded heat shield from the crossover? I would think you could get the whole thing coated as is (maybe I am wrong)? and the bay would be cooler with it? Not being critical, just wondering how you came to the conclusions you did.

Thanks in advance

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 08-23-2013).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.

I got the ceramic coat done local. I have a Powder coat guy about 3 miles from my house. He does all my PC/Ceramic. I removed the heat shield because I wanted a good look at the same time. I may wrap the crossover if it causes a problem, but it looks so damn good as is.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. Long overdue, but to be honest I have nothing to report. I have built and installed the axles, but that is about it. I also picked up a few body parts that I will need. Got a new trunk lid to replace the one that came with the car (it had 10 holes in it from different spoilers).

My main reason for not working on it was the fact that I had to drop some serious coin to put a F40 in my other car. Once I got the LS376/F40 all figured out I was driving the car all summer/fall. Plan is to get this one up and running this spring. I need a few 50+ degree days so I can go out and put some time into her.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 09-01-2014).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well, its back up for sale. I hope it goes to a good home. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...065196.html#lastpost

just don't have the time or energy to put into it. I don't want it to just sit and rot in my driveway.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SOLD, thanks for the interest

Rob
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2015 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob has been a great help an I am finally getting around to getting this swap done on my 88GT, so I am hijacking this post for a while.

I am sticking with the stock fuel pump and will upgrade later.
The throttle cable does not fit very well, I have seen a lot of pictures with zip ties for mounting. Is there a better way?

Is there an intake hose that works or will I need to build something?

I am sure there will be more questions later
Chris
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the great information here! The physical engine swap was straight forward but everything else has been an adventure. Hoping to hear back from Ryan soon and send my ECU in for reprograming. I am still a long way from mounting all the electronics inside. The hoses, O2 sensor and fuel rail stuff is on order.

Decided I could not build from this.

So I am coping many of you and have opted to keep the trunk so there are more parts on order.

Ran into a problem with the throttle hitting the deck lid and that the intake would hit the deck torsion bar. Today I installed a Rodney strut and have a bruised finger to show for removing the torsion bars.

Tomorrow it is off to Pick & Pull
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris, I cut down the linkage bracket to make it fit under the strut, but i think West Coast Fiero sells a modified bracket to fit. Also, great choice on exhaust. The exhaust part I had for you is similar to the one in the picture. I was only going to use the very end of the bracket (at the motor) and weld on to that. Picture looks like you have the exhaust all figured out. Only things left when I had it were the plumbing (fuel, coolant, A/C) and the finished electrical. At the time, I only had 4-5 wires to finish, and they were the ones on the body of the car (harness to body). If your car is alreay an automatic, then it will be easier. Read about the TCC lockout/lockup because that still needed to be run. One thing I never got to tackle was the transmission lines. If you have an auto car then this will be easy, but my car was a 5 speed so it didnt have the trans cooler lines run. Also, you need to source the trans cooler to trans line ends (at the trans). Again, if your car is an auto this may be an easy thing for you. I'll try to get out there on Thurs-Fri if you good with that.

http://www.westcoastfiero.c...s/hardware/index.php

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 12-29-2015).]

SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rob! Thursday or Friday would be great. You are always a great help.

I got down to pick and pull today and retrieved another bracket so that is all sorted now.

Had to replace the oil dipstick it was a casualty if installing everything.
Installed the spark plugs after turning the engine over. I will be seeing what the options are for wires. The plug next to the alternator has limited space.

The current list of things to finish looks like
Mount the coil pack
Ignition wires
Plumbing fuel - parts on order
Coolant system - parts on order
Finish the electrical
Transmission Pan
Transmission lines
O2 sensor
Exhaust - parts on order
Build the dog bone
Intake hose - parts on order
ECU - sending this week
Mount the Electrical inside the car to include the ECU
Vacuum piping for everything

That is the list for now I hope I am covering everything.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used on oil stick off a 3800 camaro, because its longer and lets you reach it without having to dig in the back for it.
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rob I will be looking for that Oil stick on my next trip to the yard, for now it is the stock one.
I do plan to you the stock exhaust flange now. The ebay part was not what I had hoped
Got the fuel line stuff from Summit, but forgot to order the flaring tool. Guess they will look pretty for a few days.
ECU is off to Ryan and the transmission pan is mounted.
The rain has slowed me up but I am not in a hurry.

The current list of things to finish looks like
Mount the coil pack
Ignition wires
Plumbing fuel - more parts on order
Coolant system
Finish the electrical
Transmission lines
O2 sensor
Exhaust - parts on order
Build the dog bone
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More done today.

Transmission lines completed, I will do a steel braided set later.
Coolant hoses installed, the drivers side did not fit well so some modifications were needed.

This is were I think the coil pack will go.

Need to make a bracket now.
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some days are harder then others. Failed on the Dog Bone construction but will try again tomorrow.

There is a better place for the coil pack but I need different wires an to strip all the sound deadening material off the engine compartment bulkheads.

Summit came through with fast shipping on the flaring tool. Could not get the new lines to flare. After some colorful motivational speaking I realized the OEM lines were about half as thick in wall thickness. Seams that a lot of the new stuff makes up for material quality by doubling the wall thickness. Flaring tool worked like a champ on the old lines.

Chris
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally finished building the Dog Bone

Ryan sent the computer back today!

The list is getting shorter

Finish the electrical
Exhaust - parts on order
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long day with the welder

Some of the other work

SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After chasing a couple of wires, clogged fuel rail and fuel injectors. IT LIVES
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Are you coming to the meeting tomorrow?

Jim
PFF
System Bot
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep but don't know if I will be all reassembled by then.
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am stumped. I have a squeal at idle that I thought was the alternator or the belt, but when I remove the oil cap the squeal goes away. The engine runs terrible but the squeal stops. I am sucking a lot of air in through the crank case at Idle. I have replaced the PCV valve and O ring.

Thanks to qwikgta I finally got the car running smoothly after swapping to the throttle body the computer was programmed for.

Took it out for a short test drive
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's good news how late did the meeting last?
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2016 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So a series 3 engine with a series 2 throttle body doesn't equal working PCV system so for now I bought a cheap oil cap and mounted a filter to it.

The catalytic converter needed more of a heat shield

And I needed to move the brake line away from the heat.

Welded up a couple of quick exhaust tips to keep the boys in blue happy until I can make some better stuff.

Ran like a champ today, but the brakes need some attending to.

[This message has been edited by SSN669chris (edited 01-19-2016).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris, when I was setting things up, I was not sure what to do with the PVC. I made that "loop" hose from the top of the intake to the side because one was a source of vacuum and the other needed vacuum. BUT... that may not have been the correct setup. I didn't get that far with the build to see if that was a good idea or not. I do remember that I was looking into all the sources of vacuum and what needed vacuum when I sold it.

Rob
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is running much better. 3rd gear seems to be an issue not sure yet if I will be learning to rebuild a transmission next. I have worked through some of my self-induced bugs (did not install a thermostat for one) and driven the car more I stated to get a P0134 code. Turn out it is another self-induced bug, it seems the 2004 O2 sensor and the 2003 for the Grand Prix are not the same, so if you wire the car for an 03 use an 03 senor.
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After much effort in trying to prove otherwise the transmission is toast. The Fiero is back in the air and the tear down starts tomorrow. I was able to get my hands on a transmission rebuilt 3 years ago, the fluid was in good shape with no bad smells. For 300 it is worth a shot.
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2016 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started to disassemble today at 1600. The new transmission fluid was already dark and smelled burnt. Up to disconnecting the cradle from the frame, done for the night.

Chris
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2016 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So cradle out and back in. Tomorrow I will fill the fluids and light her off again. Found a couple of things along the way, glad I caught them now but I did not get through relocating the coil pack.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock