Grand Prix Dash Swap by JCzzle
Started on: 04-17-2012 10:11 PM
Replies: 21 (2411 views)
Last post by: Inferno on 06-28-2015 05:20 PM
JCzzle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first project is finally nearing its end. I'm a rookie at this and learned a lot along the way.

I originally thought it would take a couple of weekends... A year later, I'm ready for paint.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NeoMike

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoMikeSend a Private Message to NeoMikeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
interesting ! might have to come up and look at that sometime
Robbie D

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robbie DSend a Private Message to Robbie DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you have to do any modding to that?
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robbie D:

Did you have to do any modding to that?

I would wager, ALOT. Every dash swap I've seen posted requires alot of work and fabricated parts to get them to fit in there and look right.
JCzzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a reason there's not a lot of threads on the GP dash. It doesn't fit like the firebird dash does.

The GTP dash is about an inch and half too wide to slide in. I had to remove the end caps and glassed in new ends to remove some length.
The front is also too long by around 4 inches so I had to cut that short and make a new windshield vent for the heater. The glove box cover had to also be shortened an inch and the glove box inside had to be trimmed and reglassed to make it usable.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the stock gauges and buttons to work and finally gave up after a lot of headaches. I bought aftermarket gauges and just cut holes on the speedo cluster to replace the originals and wired them up individually using a lot of bullet plugs so I can remove it easily.

It was an impulse pull at the junkyard last year and has been a lot of work. Had I known ahead of time, I would've just gone with the firebird dash but I was already too deep into it to stop.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks very good. Nice job. I would suggest going with a more modern steering wheel from the Grand Prix to complete the look though.
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually the steering wheel works for me, I'd be more concerned about the shifter section. Its a little too boxy so close to the dash. It looks really good though and can't wait to see it painted.
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to paint or have it upholstered?

Nice work so far, I like the 97-03' GP dashes.
JCzzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was actually thinking about getting an aftermarket steering wheel but at this point, I just want to get the dash painted and be able to drive the car again.
I've been trying to find plastic\vynil paint to use with a spray gun but the only real choices I have locally are the krylon rattle cans. I'm looking at making it all flat black.

And as for the center console, I haven't really done much. I got rid of the center skeleton and the trim for the shifter but I'm kinda thinking of just buying those and setting up the shifter and console as stock. It'll be much easier to finish.

Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool JCzzle!! Going to look great!

Jeff

------------------

Mine = 1986/2007 LS4 Fiero GXP
Brides= All stock 1988 Formula

PFF
System Bot
JCzzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got to do some painting and i'm pretty happy with the results. Nothing spectacular but for a novice, it still puts a smile on my face knowing what I was able to build.
Now its time to get it smogged and registered but I'm not looking forward to the 100 dollar fee for not renewing since 2010.

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job...Something to be proud of.

Bob
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice job. Outstanding!
Several years ago PBJ did one of the first dash swaps and IIRC it was a Firebird dash. His dash also came out nice. I'll try to find his dash thread in the archives for comparison.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is just AMAZING !! its defintaly on my list of things to do now !!! GREAT JOB !!!

FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2012 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should have posted earlier. I have a tan gp dash in one of our mockup cars. Working gauges, headlight switch and everything
JCzzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

You should have posted earlier. I have a tan gp dash in one of our mockup cars. Working gauges, headlight switch and everything

I wish I had enough know how to get the stock gauges and switches to work. All my frustrations and delays were from trying to get them to work with the Fiero signals.
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2012 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing that had to be changed were the pots for speed and gas, but those are easily swapped with cavalier gauge pots tgst are compatible. Tach was dead on and the rest was just pin matching
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the neatest dash paint jobs I have seen was on a replica Cobra. The guy used pick up truck bed liner, the kind you paint onto the surface. He simply used the small paint roller that came with the kit. It looked great, textured surface and had a sort of soft feel to it and should last for ever. It would also be a good sound deadner. You can get this stuuf in colors aldo.

[This message has been edited by oldbikeracer (edited 06-05-2012).]

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks nice. Can you post some progress pics?
Edit: I still have my GTP dash leftover.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 06-05-2012).]

blkcofy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blkcofySend a Private Message to blkcofyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
PFF
System Bot
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pics not coming up

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock