Car Cover? by banderson
Started on: 04-17-2012 01:26 PM
Replies: 24 (819 views)
Last post by: CoolBlue87GT on 09-01-2013 07:56 PM
banderson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bandersonSend a Private Message to bandersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know where I can get a car cover made specifically for the fiero. I would like one that is cost effective, but good quality. I have to park my car outside for a while and I like to keep a cover on my car in Iowa weather. Because of this, I am willing to spend a little more on a good one.

Thanks in advance, Brad

------------------
04 Monte Carlo- unfortunately LS 3.4
95 Bonneville SSEi- Series 1- 3.8 Supercharged
85 Fiero GT 4 speed muncie 2.8 Restoring Now
83 Chevy Silverado K-10 - 305- Plow Truck
67 Chevy C-10 Custom Pickup- 3 on the tree 283- Fully Restored
Fiance hates um all except the Monte- of course..
Mechanic at Karl's Chevrolet in Ankeny, Iowa

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one from a 350z fits pretty good if you can't find a Fiero cover. FYI
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you want a custom cover? If so, you can order one made to your specific model. I have one from back in the day and it fits like a glove. I bought it from JC Whitney.... yeah, that long ago. I had to have the year, model, etc, as it was designed to fit what I had (spoiler, etc).
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have one, but i hear that the Superweave from California Car Covers is the best for outdoor storage.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Calif covers are the best. I have them on several cars. The one mentioned dont even let rain or snow in. Kinda pricey, but you get what you pay for. I can put a clean car under one, and take it off a month or two later and its still clean and dry.

When you order one, they get all the specifics for YOUR car to make the cover fit it. Wings, spoilers, scoops and mirrors are all custom. On my Ferrari kit, I even gave them the measurement of where the outside mirrors were so they were perfect.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-17-2012).]

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

I don't have one, but i hear that the Superweave from California Car Covers is the best for outdoor storage.

I had one on my Fiero for winter of 2011, excellent protection from the elements. It did rip though, mostly cause I wanted to gain access to the door to start and let the car run, and a solid block of ice froze on the decklid- I ripped about a 2 finger size hole when I was removed the ice and really tugging at it.
banderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bandersonSend a Private Message to bandersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you- I am ordering one from California Car Cover Company once I get my next paycheck. They look to be pretty good.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
California Cover is just a company selling different types for different purposes. Saying to buy a CalCover is like saying to buy a GM or Ford. Look at their site for details on each type. I have used the NOAH and the Superweave (Weathershiled in other brand). The Superweave is almost like a car garage. I use it with a cheaper Tyvek cover on top to protect the expensive one. Not cheap but awesone protection. Here in south FL I washed/waxed my car and it spent all rainy summer (3 months) under it. When I took it out the car was ready to go to a show without touching it. Very nice product.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes they do all the footwork and you know what your getting. There also great people to deal with if you have a problem. You dont know what your going to get dealing with the manufacturer. To me anyway, its worth a few bucks more to eliminate any hassles. I bought Noah covers for my Corvettes before, and although they were thicker and provided some bump protection, my cars were always filthy when I took them off if it had ever rained on it. All the dirt and water ran right thru it to the paint.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Yes they do all the footwork and you know what your getting. There also great people to deal with if you have a problem. You dont know what your going to get dealing with the manufacturer. To me anyway, its worth a few bucks more to eliminate any hassles. I bought Noah covers for my Corvettes before, and although they were thicker and provided some bump protection, my cars were always filthy when I took them off if it had ever rained on it. All the dirt and water ran right thru it to the paint.

Yes I agree with that. I stopped buying NOAH because of that. They were ok when new but after little time outside dust went in easily.
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there any other car covers you recommend? How about Tyvek?

Which car covers don't take up a lot of space and are easy to use on a very frequent basis? (possibly by a single person)

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
I meant specific car covers, not just the name of a website.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 Tyvek covers. One of them is about 5-6 years old, has been used exclusively outdoors and is just now starting to tear. I get them from Empire for about $80. They have a guarantee, but I don't remember what the time period is. It's at least several years. Order it for Fiero and it fits extremely well whether with or without spoiler. The sides are large enough that you don't need mirror pockets and unless you want to punch a hole and put the reinforcement they supply around the antenna hole, you must remove your antenna.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 10-23-2012).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one I recommended from Cal Car Covers, rolls up to at least 1/2 of what other covers do. Very lightweight too. Mine on the Super Bee will almost fit in a briefcase if you fold and push the air out as you go.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about partial covers, ones that cover the cab, and the GT sails (so they don't crack in the sun)
FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good thread. Was just going tostart shopping for one.

------------------
'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors.
FGTO Build thread ~> Link

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

... and unless you want to punch a hole and put the reinforcement they supply around the antenna hole, you must remove your antenna.

That is the part I always forget about. I really need to do a mod with that, or just delete it. Thank you for the reminder!
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just be careful as the ice can damage the cover/car and the cover can stick to the car when the temps go below freezing and the cover is wet (unless is it waterproof.... not water resistant).
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's one of the things I like about the Tyvek covers. Not much will stick to them except Tyvek ink.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2012 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there partial covers that just cover the cabin and the plastic sail windows on a hot day in the sun? As in something you could just quickly throw on at work?

This is for a California climate, so: sun, salt, rain
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Just be careful as the ice can damage the cover/car and the cover can stick to the car when the temps go below freezing and the cover is wet (unless is it waterproof.... not water resistant).

This is totally true with most covers. However the one from Cal Covers I have on my cars dont ever stick because it never gets wet or even damp under the cover if the car is covered while its dry. I have seen guys using some of the Noah type covers that are padded and soak up water like a sponge, actually pull big chunks of paint off in the winter. I dont mean little chips, I mean foot wide patches.

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Are there any other car covers you recommend? How about Tyvek?

Which car covers don't take up a lot of space and are easy to use on a very frequent basis? (possibly by a single person)

Must be an international company. That is a HSV Commodore hiding under there.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which of California Car Covers would you all say was better for outdoor use ? Not sure which one would packup real small. I know Rodger didn't like the noah.

Superweave , Noah , Stormweave , Ultraweave , Multiweave

I'm in the market for a new one, saw recomended California Car Covers.

I currently have an Evolution lll cover that has lasted about 6 years. It's starting to tear in small places.

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My new cover came yesterday, fit's like a glove

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 09-01-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock