Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  split my thumb in half removing a transmission seal...(Warning, gore pics inside)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
split my thumb in half removing a transmission seal...(Warning, gore pics inside) by Shill
Started on: 04-14-2012 04:01 PM
Replies: 16 (745 views)
Last post by: Khw on 03-18-2014 10:49 PM
Shill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happened last night, decided to change the bandage and clean it up a bit today and took some pics.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Before you ask, no, it didn't hurt. Really I didn't feel a thing, i went into shock shortly after. Odd feeling I haven't had in a while. Couldn't feel a thing, someone rubbing ,my back actually hurt worse than my thumb at the time. Couldn't hear or understand what anyone was saying, i was white as a ghost, too dizzy to stand up straight, An hour later I was freezing cold. Was rinsing it off only moments after it happened, and I could see the bone, got done rinsing and stuffed it into a cup of peroxide, not much if any blood came out after that point.

Anyways, car may take a bit longer than expected to finish after this incident. Hopefully I can find some buddies to assist so that I may drive it to work on monday.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouch!

Looks like you need to spend ten bucks on a seal puller tool.
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy Smokes Spence...

Did you go get it stitched up?

Jeff
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, did you name the car?

That went all the way to the bone?
It doesn't look nearly that bad from the pics. Did you go to urgent care or have a doctor look at it? Last June I had a similar injury to one of my fingers. I couldn't tell at the time, but it cut the nerve and I've lost feeling from the incision to the tip of my finger on that side. If you didn't have a lot of pain, you may have nerve damage. Be sure to get it checked out. Nerve damage can heal well but it has to be repaired early on.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 04-14-2012).]

newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Relatively speaking, we humans are soft, squishy, and easily damaged. Luckily we heal. Take care.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took a chunk out of my finger with a chop saw today.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

FireGirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FireGirlSend a Private Message to FireGirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nah I just took him to Walgreens. He's fiiiine
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Took a chunk out of my finger with a chop saw today.

Let me clarify my previous statement: We heal but don't regenerate.

I hope you didn't loose too much of yourself.

Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, no doctor visit, just started a new job, and have another month and a half until i am eligible for benefits, which I hear is full coverage and I only have to pay about $40 -$50 per month

Anyways, no insurance and figured it would be a few hundred dollars for a visit. Went to Walgreen, the pharmacist suggested some wound closure strips. which is what I did, then got a splint and wrapped it up real good so I didn't smack it again while I finish up my car. I do have a discomforting pain now, with the occasional spike of pain which feels like someone just drove a nail through it for a few seconds and then it goes away. I sure hope I don't have nerve damage, but eh **** happens. I am really hopeful that I don't get blood poisoning as another Fiero member said to watch out for, as if that happens and I don't get ti treated in time I can lose my thumb.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newin55:

Let me clarify my previous statement: We heal but don't regenerate.

I hope you didn't loose too much of yourself.

It's still functional so it can't be too bad. It sucks that there is no skin to lay back over the cut.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Booo! I thought I was going to see bone or something! Cmon stop teasing

Hopefully it heals quickly, I've had the tips of 3 fingers halfway severed at once- its a great feeling
PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
like my drill sgt use to say....drink some water and walk it off.....then again your legs could be broke and he would say drink some water and walk it off.... it seems that drinking water will cure anything and walking it off was just added so you would stop telling him how much of a wussy you were. lol nice war wound though

[This message has been edited by Niterrorz (edited 04-15-2012).]

1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shill:
I do have a discomforting pain now, with the occasional spike of pain which feels like someone just drove a nail through it for a few seconds and then it goes away. I sure hope I don't have nerve damage, but eh **** happens.

Sounds like you did suffer some nerve damage. I slashed my foot open and cut my planters nerve. When I step wrong (or if anyone tries to tickle my feet) a sharp tingly pain hits suddenly. Does it feel similar to that?

------------------

Thank for the sig. Bobadoofunk
1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe (Juliet) in restoration
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe (Bella) in restoration
1990 Black Buick Reatta (Noir)
2002 White Chevy Impala base(Haylie)

87FieroSport

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was searching transmission removal without taking out the cradle so I could swap a 4T60 without removing the cradle.

Time to Gravedig!

I was removing the dash in a parts car I had, and I removed the interior A pillars and all;
The dash fell down on the passenger side, jousting my finger up until the roof of the car splitting my middle finger in half from tip to nail.

Same outcome, didn't feel a thing, saw blood streaming down and went into shock from loss. Woke up two minutes later in the bathroom with a sink full.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has to be said ----"Should buff right out".
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did that when I had my hand crushed and blew the ends off 2 fingers. But mine hurt like hell and sent me int shock. The doc explained that hands have the most nerve endings in them, and instead of severing them a crushing injury just pisses them off. They did manage to put the fingers back on, but they're a little shorter and don't work as good. By the way, the worst part was waking up in the ambulance. Those things have NO suspension in them at all.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it hurt... But really in the scope of things it's not that bad. I've been party to and seen worse. A freind of mine was pulling a tranny and ended up with a 4" long gash on his arm that took a bunch of stitches. I was building a speaker box holding 2 peices of wood together while I secured them with a screw gun. I had planned to cut the long screw down and use a angle grinder to grind it fluch. Unfortunately my finger was in the wrong spot and I went in the print side and out the nail with the screw. That hurt all on it's own but unscrewing it to get it out and my finger unattached from the board was a ***** .

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock