Best way to fix/replace headliner? by Gohan77
Started on: 04-13-2012 05:03 PM
Replies: 16 (1491 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 09-28-2013 01:14 AM
Gohan77

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohan77Send a Private Message to Gohan77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My headliner isnt in great shape and some of the edges are coming undone and its needs to be repainted (apparently the previous owner tried to). What would be the best thing to do? replace it, remove it and leave the bare roof or try to repair it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well your headliner shouldnt be painted unless they replaced it with a fiberglass one, and even then i dont believe many people would paint them. you need to get headliner fabric and spraycan glue. coat both the headliner and the fabric and press it on. im sure there is a better write up on here than what i just told you but i would take the paint off first or the fabric migh tnot adhear very long.
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gohan, we redid our headliner pretty easily. Ours was trashed and in several pieces. I fiberglassed it all back together and glued some new headliner material on. Super easy to do. Search youtube for Buddycraigs videos and find the headliner one.

Super easy job...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120201.html

Or you could bring your car to OOB and we could do it in the driveway??? Hint hint hint! hehe.
Gohan77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohan77Send a Private Message to Gohan77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome. Thanks! I'd like to get together with fellow maine fiero owners. i made a topic yesterday but got no answers. i have a large driveway and plenty of space for working on it. It'dbe nice to have a fiero buddy to help when things go wrong lol
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With a spray gun of glue and a yard of fabric, I can do one in 1-1 1/2 hours easy. Fabric is at any of the big fabric stores like JoAnne. Its usually around $5-$8 for a yard. Standard width is 54" .. just wide enough for a car headliner. Theres a bunch of write ups on replacing it in here.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gohan77:

Awesome. Thanks! I'd like to get together with fellow maine fiero owners. i made a topic yesterday but got no answers. i have a large driveway and plenty of space for working on it. It'dbe nice to have a fiero buddy to help when things go wrong lol

Whered you post this mystery thread? Which topic section? Link it here or send me a pm with the link? Buddy!

Gohan77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohan77Send a Private Message to Gohan77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gohan PM sent!! Hit me up on the cell number I pm'd ya, text/pic/call all good. Awful nice day here at the beach...hint hint.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2012 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the spray glue adhesive often fails ,but should be OK in maine
a car out in the Sun a lot should have liquid nails construction adhesive
you apply it with the credit cards in offers you get in the mail
if your headliner is getting raggedy the liquid nails adhesive will help keep it togther.
it is far more versatile than the thin spray can stuff
I did one on an 88 Fiero coup that sat in the sun for 4 years ,you apply it thin and smooth
it with your hand as you go,,this is the best way if you are working alone...
...I just buy felt at the fabric store,,some wal marts have fabric division
I did my present 86 GT in red felt,,I experimented with cutting & patching?/
with felt you can make a mistake & repair it,,the repair not noticeble
I was going to fast ,made mistake in my cuts ,but it came out O.K.
many of my add ons,improvements are amaturish because mt fingers have been crushed,,but My headliner looks great,you do not have to be
any sort of artisan to use the liquid nails ,..I also covered the speakers with felt

if you use the spray have some liquid nails handy to help give better HOLD..fabric less likely to drop
red felt will fade if exposed to sun ,you have to protect with window sunshade or replace frequently
liquid nail,constrution adhesive will cover up holes, rips,splits,gouges that spray ahesive can not,
you can experiment by install a piece of cloth on cardboard.

& have to be redone..
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't believe I've ever seen anyone else suggest this (and I may be shunned for doing so!), but what would it be like (on a non-sunroof model) to remove the headliner completely and to glue the fabric directly onto the underside of the roof?

So why would I even think of doing that?

I autocross my '84 and while wearing my helmet I have very little headroom (as I'm 6'3"). I removed my headliner last fall because of the material hanging down. The headliner "board" is in sad shape as well, and up to this point I've just left the whole thing out.

Would it be so very bad to forget about the "board" and to just glue the fabric to the car itself?
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no headliner.. looks great without it.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The J&S fabric (thats what the OEM fabric is called) conforms pretty easily into nooks and crannies. I forget what all is inside the Fiero roof without the backing board, but you should be able to make it pretty nice just on the roof itself except in a T top or sunroof car.
Gohan77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohan77Send a Private Message to Gohan77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In case you guys arent aware, but i do have a sunroof.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I forget what all is inside the Fiero roof without the backing board, but you should be able to make it pretty nice just on the roof itself except in a T top or sunroof car.

I suppose one problem might be the fact that the underside of the roof probably gets pretty hot in the sun, resulting in whatever glue was used getting gooey and letting go. The fiberboard (when normally used) wouldn't get anywhere near as hot.

Seeing as how I'm in the frozen north, it might still work here...
xquaid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for xquaidClick Here to visit xquaid's HomePageSend a Private Message to xquaidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done 2 headliners. First time I used 2 cans (about $15) of high tack spray adhesive. Second time I used $2.00 worth of Elmers White Glue! Both are holding up strong (pun intended)!

Here is my write-up!

Enjoy

------------------
Reinventing Gym Education
Founder - www.fitnesspatterns.com +
www.gymgym.us

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want it good as new just do as above.

Get the fabric from Jo Ann Fabric or similar shop as it is very cheap. Then use the proper adhesive for interiors from 3M and read the instructions. You spray it on and only need a lite coat on the cloth and shell. Lay it in with a set of second hands as once It sticks it is not coming out and then trim and install.

This is one of the cheapest and easiest restorations projects you can do on a Fiero for less than $25 so don't trailer park this one out and make a mess of things. It is a chance to return something to as factory condition so easily.

Sun Roofs an T tops just need a little more trimming.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I removed the head liner backer board. I have never been able to get the material to stick right in the past. So this time I put a layer of glass cloth down and gobbed on the resin. I trimmed it with a razer knife while it was still a little pliable so it would be easier to clean up with my die grinder.

The board cleaned up and roughed up.

And then the head liner glued in. I used Dap Contact glue http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com...775311.1280.1280.jpg applied with a roller to both the board and the fabric. I applied the glue twice to each surface.

I'm, changing the interior color. I plan on using SEM interior paint on the plastic. I will need new visors.

------------------

Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock