fiero no go! any ideas??? by gtk8
Started on: 04-11-2012 10:34 PM
Replies: 24 (575 views)
Last post by: 92wastheyear on 08-08-2013 08:12 PM
gtk8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtk8Send a Private Message to gtk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I have an 87 gt fiero with the 2.8. I bought the car about 2 months ago and it has been a headache. The guy i bought it from lied about a lot of stuff being new. We have it running and at idle it seems strong but I took it out for a test drive and its so sluggish! You cant even tell when it is floored cuz it goes nowhere. It has a new engine in it but it sat for a year. We have replaced the plugs, wires, throttle position sensor, distributor cap, & rotor button and set the timing. Any ideas???? We are thinking it may be a fuel issue. I put like a 1/4 tank of gas in it when I got it cuz it was about out so I dont know if it could be bad gas still or maybe fuel filter?? help please!!! I just wanna drive my car! lol thanks a lot! -k8

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you set the timing did you have the ECM in diagnostic mode by jumpering A to B on the ALDL port ?

You should have posted this in TD&Q where the motor heads hang out !

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 04-11-2012).]

VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check fuel pressure. Should be about 35-40 psi.

Sounds like your on to something with that.
nyranger6830

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude this sounds exactly what i was going through just recently! Do what Mike Gonzalez said!!!! Fixed mine all up!

Tony

------------------
Fieros......Gotta Love Em!

Dawn: My 86 GT!

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If not any of above as already mentioned or you've already checked all that stuff then does the exhaust smell of rotten eggs?
If so then cat if blocked.
Had same issue with mine, slowly got worse until it wold not even move under it's own power. replaced cat and it's been great ever since.

Easy way to check is remove the O2 sensor from the ex system(put something there like a plumbers fire proof blanket to prevent exhaust from burning wires etc) and try it. Noisy as hell but if it improves then that's your problem!
------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 04-11-2012).]

VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

If not any of above as already mentioned or you've already checked all that stuff then does the exhaust smell of rotten eggs?
If so then cat if blocked.
Had same issue with mine, slowly got worse until it wold not even move under it's own power. replaced cat and it's been great ever since.

Easy way to check is remove the O2 sensor from the ex system(put something there like a plumbers fire proof blanket to prevent exhaust from burning wires etc) and try it. Noisy as hell but if it improves then that's your problem!

This guy does have a point.

My 88 Formula sat for some time before I bought it. The Squirrels filled my converter and muffler with nuts.

Mine would not run at all.

I took the EGR valve off and it ran. I took the exhaust off and found the nuts.

Like the guy said, it will be noisy without the EGR valve on it!!!

[This message has been edited by VikingRedBaron (edited 04-11-2012).]

gtk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtk8Send a Private Message to gtk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome thanks a lot guys!! i will try to check it out tomorrow!! The cat was clogged so we hollowed it out already (forgot to mention that in my original post) but i kno something built a nest in the exhaust because a bunch of stuff kept blowing out when we first started it. After we did that and put the exhaust back on it has good flow and no crap is flying out but is there any chance that the muffler could still be causing the problems and needs replaced? I planned on replacing it soon but I am working on a tight budget with having 4 vehicles right now. I bought a fuel filter and im gonna replace the fuel lines tomorrow cuz after looking at it the lines are rusted and the filter is pretty beat. Thanks again I will let ya know! -k8
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a hundred more reasons to cause it. Everything from exhaust to faulty switches.
gtk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtk8Send a Private Message to gtk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the exhaust off and its still doin the same thing so thats not it. Hopefully the fuel filter and new lines fix it
brownc00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brownc00Send a Private Message to brownc00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stop throwing parts at it and do some diagnosis. Check the fuel pressure first. Do you have a check engine light on? What is the code it is throwing?
gtk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtk8Send a Private Message to gtk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car sat for a long time. everything I bought for it so far needed to be replaced. The plugs were bad the wires had holes and the check engine light was on because of the throttle position sensor now its not. It wouldnt even stay running before I did all that.
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you Properly set the timing ? It makes a big difference if it is in diagnostic mode or not when you set it.
gtk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtk8Send a Private Message to gtk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I didnt have a book then so I didnt know
gtk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtk8Send a Private Message to gtk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

gtk8

23 posts
Member since Feb 2012
Thats the first thing im gonna do today and hlpefully it starts running right. Thanks
cunninghamsean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cunninghamseanSend a Private Message to cunninghamseanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the timing does not fix it but it seems to idle and rev fine at stand still, jack it up and make sure all the wheels spin free. I had an 88 that sat for a long time and one of my calipers was sticking it ran great but had no get up and go.

Sean
gtk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtk8Send a Private Message to gtk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I would update this post since i kinda forgot about it. Well the problem I was having should be fixed now and I'm slowly getting the car back together. I got side tracked with getting my Cavalier ready for shows last year, bought a TrailBlazer, and I just bought an 85 fiero gt notchback too that has 98k miles on it and runs great but needs A LOT of body work. But anyways...I am hoping to get the 87 back together in the next week or so. Because of all the problems we were finding (mostly caused by stupidity of the previous owner) we decided to tear down the motor and found a severely bent pushrod. He had everything way too tight!(thank u again previous owner!!) It has since been replaced and I'm almost done repainting the plenum and valve covers red because the loser painted them orange for some reason and didn't sand them first so i could literally blow most of the paint off with the air hose....what a mess. I can't wait to get it running again so i can work on finally getting it painted. The 85 is a blast to drive but the cops aren't a fan of it lol first time I took it in town I got warning for "driving like an idiot" (his words) and somehow I tailgated a car even though there was no one in front of me....? explain that! Lol he just pulled me over cuz of how it looks and I really can't blame him, its pretty hideous right now. Ill get some pics posted soon!

------------------
87 Fiero GT Fastback
85 Fiero GT Notchback
02 Cavalier 2.2 ECOtec
04 Trailblazer

amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are you located at?

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom
President of Maryland Fiero Owners Club MFOC
NYFOC Member

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just in case you didn't know, you can download the service manuals from here; http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php
gtk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtk8Send a Private Message to gtk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Western md. And too late I bought one already lol but thanks!

------------------
87 Fiero GT Fastback
85 Fiero GT Notchback
02 Cavalier 2.2 ECOtec
04 Trailblazer

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you haven't timed the car, yet, just so you know. The illustrations of the ALDL port shown in most service manuals have the image upside down to what it's installed in the Fiero. The two ports you want to connect are the lower two on the passenger end of the ALDL. With those connected, you will also get the check engine light flashing out any trouble codes.
gtk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtk8Send a Private Message to gtk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
K thanks ill keep that in mind
PFF
System Bot
gtk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtk8Send a Private Message to gtk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://i139.photobucket.com..._20130806_084250.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com...08-06-08-14-05-1.png

My newest 85 fiero

http://i139.photobucket.com...08-06-06-59-34-1.png
new jasper engine in my 87 gt torn down with bent pushrod replaced

http://i139.photobucket.com..._20130808_113442.jpg
Pic of all 4 of my cars

------------------
87 Fiero GT Fastback
85 Fiero GT Notchback
02 Cavalier 2.2 ECOtec
04 Trailblazer

[This message has been edited by gtk8 (edited 08-08-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtk8:

My newest fiero

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 08-08-2013).]

gtk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtk8Send a Private Message to gtk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what? that image isnt showing up?

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtk8:

what? that image isnt showing up?

It wasn't initially

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock