Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Chasing Classic Cars Season 4 Ep 10 - Fiero sighting?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Chasing Classic Cars Season 4 Ep 10 - Fiero sighting? by ARKaiser
Started on: 03-18-2012 05:56 PM
Replies: 23 (792 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 12-22-2015 01:31 PM
ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just caught part of this show and I swear that I saw a white GT in the background of a couple of shots. I'm sure that I saw it behind the 442 they were talking about.

I tried to find a site online where I could watch it again and I couldn't find any.

Can anyone confirm what I think I saw?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-18-2012 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DISH canceled Velocity after about a month. I miss that show.

Tony
PePe-LePu_For_2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PePe-LePu_For_2Send a Private Message to PePe-LePu_For_2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It just happened again last night. I spotted a white Formula sitting in the line of cars that Wayne has out in front of his show room. I snapped a shot of the screen with my phone. If I get time later I'll post it here.
PePe-LePu_For_2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PePe-LePu_For_2Send a Private Message to PePe-LePu_For_2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PePe-LePu_For_2

283 posts
Member since Jun 2005
http://www.f40.com/inventor...ntory&filter=current

Looks like he still has it in his inventory! See page 2, the episode is titled Beetle Mania. I don't know the episode number.

[This message has been edited by PePe-LePu_For_2 (edited 11-18-2015).]

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PePe-LePu_For_2:

http://www.f40.com/inventor...ntory&filter=current

Looks like he still has it in his inventory! See page 2, the episode is titled Beetle Mania. I don't know the episode number.

Something's fishy about that car. It has formula stickers on the side, but they have conflicting listing of the year (1986 vs 1988). A quick google search of the VIN shows that it is indeed an 88, but interestingly shows up as "Base" for trim level.

http://www.explorevin.com/v...c/Fiero/1G2PE119XJP2
PePe-LePu_For_2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PePe-LePu_For_2Send a Private Message to PePe-LePu_For_2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good detective work! I think you may have discovered the reason for the low price for such a clean and low mileage example.
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Tony

I switched to Direct TV from Dish - better provider in every way! (Velocity is 281 on Direct TV)
GBglide

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GBglideClick Here to visit GBglide's HomePageSend a Private Message to GBglideEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Velocity on DISH. It's channel 246.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2015 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 8th digit in the vin. # is a "9" which means it's a 6 cyc. In 1988 the notchback 6 cyc. was a Formula.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't the Formula have the GT sway bars, and the base models did not? I'm no expert though.
Phil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2015 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were only 3 models in 88- 4 cyl coupe. Formula and GT. Formulas had the swaybar
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2015 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:

There were only 3 models in 88- 4 cyl coupe. Formula and GT. Formulas had the swaybar

Not sure if you've expressed that quite the way you wanted. All '88 models had the front sway bar. Only the coupe didn't have the rear sway bar.

Right?
Phil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2015 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you are correct
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2015 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I think I figured out where F40 got the Formula.

After seeing the episode 3 or 4 times I noticed last night that the white Formula was in the background of a pole barn durring the Model T "House Car".

Once I saw it I paid more attention to what was going on and the word "cars" was mentioned a few times but only showed Wayne C. haul out the Model T. You can see the Formula with its engine compartment lid up and a couple of guys around it like they were getting it ready to go.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2015 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Tony

I have Dish and I have Velocity.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6001 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Well, I think I figured out where F40 got the Formula.

After seeing the episode 3 or 4 times I noticed last night that the white Formula was in the background of a pole barn durring the Model T "House Car".

Once I saw it I paid more attention to what was going on and the word "cars" was mentioned a few times but only showed Wayne C. haul out the Model T. You can see the Formula with its engine compartment lid up and a couple of guys around it like they were getting it ready to go.

I was just going to say that car was on the collection where he got the House Model T. I would guess he bought more than one car from them..

Best way to sum it up is the Formula and GT had the same WS6 suspension standard.

Mechanically the Formula and GT are the same only trim and body panels are different. Now you get to a 85 GT vs SE 2M6 they even had the same interior but just different body trim. The engine and suspensions are the same.

The truth is most Fieros are not all that different.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 12-20-2015).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2015 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I was just going to say that car was on the collection where he got the House Model T. I would guess he bought more than one car from them..

Best way to sum it up is the Formula and GT had the same WS6 suspension standard.

Mechanically the Formula and GT are the same only trim and body panels are different. Now you get to a 85 GT vs SE 2M6 they even had the same interior but just different body trim. The engine and suspensions are the same.

The truth is most Fieros are not all that different.

If Wayne C. had enough respect to place a Fiero in his front row then he should have at least gave it an honorable mention in the Model T episode.

I've always call the Formula Firebird the poor man's Trans Am, likewise I've always called the Formula Fiero the poor man's GT. OR..... The go fast cars due to less BS. Less BS equals less weight, less weight equals quicker car. Kinda like a 455 H.O. Tempest or a Super Duty Catalina.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If Wayne C. had enough respect to place a Fiero in his front row then he should have at least gave it an honorable mention in the Model T episode.

I've always call the Formula Firebird the poor man's Trans Am, likewise I've always called the Formula Fiero the poor man's GT. OR..... The go fast cars due to less BS. Less BS equals less weight, less weight equals quicker car. Kinda like a 455 H.O. Tempest or a Super Duty Catalina.

You have to keep in mind this is a guy and a show about buying and trading many cars worth millions of dollars not some old sports car worth a few thousand. The T was only one of a couple made and may be worth big money now and was something even I did not know was ever made. On the other hand the Fiero is the kind of car as were some others in the warehouse that many people see jacked up in a yard.

It is ok to be a Fiero fan but you have to remember out place in the pecking order of collector cars. While we have a following we are not in great demand nor are we rare.
To put it more plain we are not a Ferrari but we are not a Cavalier Z24 either.

Wayne is a nice guy as I had the chance to meet him years ago. He is also a business man. He had the car to do one thing Make money and odds were it was part of the deal to get the T. The previous owner was a friend and odds are he may have been helping the family to sell the car too.

While the Fiero is not mentioned on the show so are a lot of other fine cars too. I shows focus has been mostly high priced or very rare exotics and that leaves a lot of other cars out.

As for the second part I do agree the Formula or even in my case the SE 2M6 is the car for those who want performance with out the trimmings be it because it is the cheaper way out or be it you want the bare bones to the path of the most performance. To me they were the last of the gutted car from the factory like so many were in the 60's where they came with little or nothing just to race. You just can't buy that anymore with cars today with standard power everything.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 12-21-2015).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You have to keep in mind this is a guy and a show about buying and trading many cars worth millions of dollars not some old sports car worth a few thousand. The T was only one of a couple made and may be worth big money now and was something even I did not know was ever made. On the other hand the Fiero is the kind of car as were some others in the warehouse that many people see jacked up in a yard.

It is ok to be a Fiero fan but you have to remember out place in the pecking order of collector cars. While we have a following we are not in great demand nor are we rare.
To put it more plain we are not a Ferrari but we are not a Cavalier Z24 either.

Wayne is a nice guy as I had the chance to meet him years ago. He is also a business man. He had the car to do one thing Make money and odds were it was part of the deal to get the T. The previous owner was a friend and odds are he may have been helping the family to sell the car too.

While the Fiero is not mentioned on the show so are a lot of other fine cars too. I shows focus has been mostly high priced or very rare exotics and that leaves a lot of other cars out.

As for the second part I do agree the Formula or even in my case the SE 2M6 is the car for those who want performance with out the trimmings be it because it is the cheaper way out or be it you want the bare bones to the path of the most performance. To me they were the last of the gutted car from the factory like so many were in the 60's where they came with little or nothing just to race. You just can't buy that anymore with cars today with standard power everything.

LOL!

I remember people saying this about my '65 GTO when I bought it for $150.00 in '72. They said my GTO and my buddy's '67 Buick GS 400 were never going to be worth anything because they sucked gas and they didn't have a Big Block Chevy or a Hemi.

Like I've said many times, every dog has its day. I know a guy that paid $11,000.00 for a 300 mile Chevette. If a Chevette and an AMC Pacer can pull in a good buck so will a Fiero.

That's great that you met Wayne, some day soon I'm sure I'll meet up with him too.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 12-21-2015).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LOL!

I remember people saying this about my '65 GTO when I bought it for $150.00 in '72. They said my GTO and my buddy's '67 Buick GS 400 were never going to be worth anything because they sucked gas and they didn't have a Big Block Chevy or a Hemi.

Like I've said many times, every dog has its day. I know a guy that paid $11,000.00 for a 300 mile Chevette. If a Chevette and an AMC Pacer can pull in a good buck so will a Fiero.

That's great that you met Wayne, some day soon I'm sure I'll meet up with him too.

Tell me about values. I had a mint 1970 Monte Carlo, Mint 1968 Chevelle SS and a Mint 1972 GMC Sprint SP all at one time. I made money on each but no where near what I could today.

As for Values. few Chevettes sell for $11K even then a rotted out Chevelle today goes for $11K.

It is all about supply and demand. Right now there is way too much supply and not enough demand for the Fiero. Things will improve but we will remain like the Corvair in the lower end of the market. It is rare for cars to go from zero to hero like the Superbird or the Dino did.

I turned down selling my new Fiero in 1985 for a very clean Dino. I passed because I was afraid of where I would find parts. He wanted $15,000 for a perfect running example. Keep in mind at this time no one wanted them. Well today they can go for $300K to $600k and are still going up.

I also passed on a $16K Pantera too.

Yes I did keep the Fiero for 30 years. So much for my predicting the future. LOL!

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
F.Y.I.: There happen to have been 2 low mileage Chevettes at the auction that day.

The other had 4500 (?) miles in it.

It sold for $11,000.00 as well.

Rick Hendrick's on the road buyer bought it for "the Boss".
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

F.Y.I.: There happen to have been 2 low mileage Chevettes at the auction that day.

The other had 4500 (?) miles in it.

It sold for $11,000.00 as well.

Rick Hendrick's on the road buyer bought it for "the Boss".

Again good for a Chevette but in the big picture $11 K dose not buy much anymore.

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again good for a Chevette but in the big picture $11 K dose not buy much anymore.

No it does not and that is my point about the Fiero.

There have been a few '88 GT's that have sold in the mid to upper 30's, I think there was one that even did 42k. But as a whole there are many between the 10 and 15 range. No, they are not 50 to 60k yet and perhaps never will be but there are people (many here) that see a Fiero as a $2500.00 to $3500.00 car at best. That's where I say they are grossly underestimating what an old "original" car can be worth.

I consider the under 25 grand range "cheap" for a presentable classic car and for that money you could buy a bondo'ed up, tired iron Camaro, Chevelle or GTO that won't be worth what you paid or you can buy an extremely nice, low mileage '88 Fiero GT that will at least be worth what you paid.

Yes, you can't buy much, if anything, good for the money you can currently get for a Fiero and that is why I've turned down a few offers over the years for my black '88 GT.

I will tell you this much, every time I see or hear of one getting modified or wrecked, I know that makes mine worth that much more. You know that out of the 6848 built I think its safe to say that at least 1/3rd of them are gone due to Mura, modifications, wrecks and just plane worn out.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2015 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No it does not and that is my point about the Fiero.

There have been a few '88 GT's that have sold in the mid to upper 30's, I think there was one that even did 42k. But as a whole there are many between the 10 and 15 range. No, they are not 50 to 60k yet and perhaps never will be but there are people (many here) that see a Fiero as a $2500.00 to $3500.00 car at best. That's where I say they are grossly underestimating what an old "original" car can be worth.

I consider the under 25 grand range "cheap" for a presentable classic car and for that money you could buy a bondo'ed up, tired iron Camaro, Chevelle or GTO that won't be worth what you paid or you can buy an extremely nice, low mileage '88 Fiero GT that will at least be worth what you paid.

Yes, you can't buy much, if anything, good for the money you can currently get for a Fiero and that is why I've turned down a few offers over the years for my black '88 GT.

I will tell you this much, every time I see or hear of one getting modified or wrecked, I know that makes mine worth that much more. You know that out of the 6848 built I think its safe to say that at least 1/3rd of them are gone due to Mura, modifications, wrecks and just plane worn out.

It all goes back to supply and demand as cars, condition and the demand set their own price.

Now yes a few sold high but an odd high price from time to time does not set the market. Often just a crazy person over paying.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock