Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Looking for input on my next fiero project..... (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Looking for input on my next fiero project..... by Pete Matos
Started on: 02-22-2012 11:29 AM
Replies: 88 (3480 views)
Last post by: Pete Matos on 11-11-2013 02:32 AM
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Donnie,
Thanks for the idea man, I am kinda tapped out right now and don't have the cash for a new 02 sensor to even check it. I drove it around a bit yesterday and put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank along with some fresh high test gasoline. I drove it at 35MPH for awhile hoping the computer would reset or something and it might clean out but no dice. The darn battery is also giving me issues as I keep putting it on the charger for awhile and then it will start and run but it will fail to start after a time or two. May have to get a new battery for it here too... The car has a shimmy in back too when driving it down the road it kinda bends around turns some which I attribute at least in part to the bad motor mounts. I need to get some new ones in here but I was hoping to sort the engine problems first. Again the car is only in decent shape and it looks okay but it has its share of neglect issues that is for sure... Here is a picture I snapped yesterday after I put some gas in it. It was nice to see it outside of the shop at least for a little while.... Peace

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics I could not hold steady for some reason LOL

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

IP: Logged
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first one drove me nuts working out the little bugs in it so I can understand your frustration. Does it throw any codes? Do you access to a scanner. I was lucky and have a buddy with a scanner so he helped me a lot. If all else fails post something in the tech section with all the symptoms it has and I'm sure the gurus here can help. Phonedawgz and bloozeberry helped me a ton on my little problems.
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Donnie,
Thanks for the idea man, I am kinda tapped out right now and don't have the cash for a new 02 sensor to even check it. I drove it around a bit yesterday and put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank along with some fresh high test gasoline. I drove it at 35MPH for awhile hoping the computer would reset or something and it might clean out but no dice. The darn battery is also giving me issues as I keep putting it on the charger for awhile and then it will start and run but it will fail to start after a time or two. May have to get a new battery for it here too... The car has a shimmy in back too when driving it down the road it kinda bends around turns some which I attribute at least in part to the bad motor mounts. I need to get some new ones in here but I was hoping to sort the engine problems first. Again the car is only in decent shape and it looks okay but it has its share of neglect issues that is for sure... Here is a picture I snapped yesterday after I put some gas in it. It was nice to see it outside of the shop at least for a little while.... Peace

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics I could not hold steady for some reason LOL

Pete

I have a bosch v6 o2 sensor, give me shipping and its yours. (Selling my fiero)
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Phirewire,
That is a very kind offer man....most appreciated. Sorry you are selling your Fiero I know when I sold my 86GT awhile back I missed the hell out of it LOL... PM me your info and I will get you a PayPal or something in the morning..... Thanks man....

Donnie,
I don't have a scanner and with the battery going dead every little bit it never has given me any codes yet....I did pin the connector when I was timing the motor but I was kind of all intent on doing that operation I have not done it again yet. Got some paying work to do tomorrow in the shop so the Fiero needs to sit for now. Some TIG work came my way yesterday LOL....PEACE

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah if the battery keeps going dead you might be losing any codes that have tripped. Next time you drive it maybe throw a battery tender on it until you get a chance to pull codes. Hopefully its something simple. Good luck with it for sure.

Edit forgot to mention someone was looking for a custom front nose emblem and I remembered you made some on the cnc before so suggested they pm you to see if you were still making them.

[This message has been edited by donnie072003 (edited 01-06-2013).]

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay guys I have a LITTLE update here. I have been slowly working on the fiero as time permits. I have done quite a bit of cleaning up of the engine bay and I am STILL trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with the motor. It runs as I said but it just runs crappy and surges and misses a lot. I have replaced quite a few components trying to find the culprit and I would LOVE to have it running smoothly. Also I told you guys I had to remove the factory decklid support rods as they were both worn out and not enough to hold up the factory decklid let alone with my new wing on there. Of course Rodney Dickman's struts are an option but I chose to roll my own here and I received a nice pair of gas shocks I ordered online about ago. Right now I am trying to figure out where and how to mount them to make it easiest and cleanest looking while doing the necessary job.

Also I FINALLY managed to get the car registered for the road!! I was kinda excited about putting the plate on it as up until now I have only been able to drive it around the neighborhood and whatnot. It still runs like crap, it does not look that great, honestly it is kind of a piece of **** right now but guess what.....IT"S MY PIECE OF **** !! LOL I am working on her here tho and the car has a lot of potential. Actually when I came out of the DMV today(actually the courthouse) there is a rather large hill and some steep stairs to get down to the parking area and I got a good look from an above angle of the car and I kinda felt pretty good about it. That is right up until I got in and remembered the car is running shitty and the drivers side door panel is in the garage getting rehabbed.... Oh well it was a moment right!!

I am now driving the car to pick the kids up from school and while they still say it is kind of a poo poo car mostly inside it they enjoy popping out the roof and listening to the radio. It still has those shitty tall tires in back that not only look like crap but cause the rear end to kinda sway around corners. I am TRYING to find a nice deal on a set of 18" wheels and tires for her but all of that is secondary right now to getting it running good. I sure wish some of you fieroGURU's were local to me so I can get a second set of eyes on it. Oh well I will mess with it until it says uncle I guess. I am going to be rebuilding the headlight motors here soon so I can reinstall them into the car. Right now I cannot drive it at night and that is a bummer. Oh well it is what it is, for what I paid for the car I am pretty pleased overall. Still lots to do on her here but I am slowly pecking away at the mountain. Peace

Pete

------------------

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Small update...

Been working on the GT awhile now and managed to get some time today to tinker. I removed the two brackets that hold the decklid vents in place and fabricated some 3/16 inch steel inserts for the corners and Tig welded them in place on the brackets. This allowed me to finally be able to drill and tap them so I can install my new dual gas shocks for the decklid. I used the security screw location on the upper half of the decklid hinge for the other mounting point. Removed both hinges and drilled and tapped them for the 5/16-18 shock ends. Then I was able to finally install one shock and try the fit. With some luck and adjustment it fit nicely and the decklid vent can be mounted and clear the shocks travel. These shocks are quite stout and the placement of them makes them just about right. When you first open the decklid it does not feel that there is any support too much and then once the lid opens say 20 percent open you start to feel the shocks start to push. Right now there is no wing on the car as I removed it today so I could take some better pics of the wing to sell it easier and also clean up the decklid a bit. You actually do have to hold onto it a bit without the wing on there but the wing I am putting on there will most likely be heavier than the stock one so that is probably just right. I can tell you one thing tho it sure as hell is nice to be able to open the decklid and have it STAY OPEN LOL.... No more stupid prop rod pipe rolling around in the trunk anymore looking like a fool trying to hook it to one of the wing nuts or whatever is available. The struts look nice and this picture I took is just a mock up and test fit. I still want to remove both decklid hinges and clean them up and repaint them and I have to shoot some paint on the strut tower brackets too...

I STILL have not figured out what is wrong with the motor. It runs as I said before but it just sounds like it has a miss almost and I have checked most of the stuff I can think of. I have not installed the nice O2 sensor in it that I got from a kind member here. Also the damn engine mounts are pretty shot on the car. If anyone here is doing a motor swap and has some factory GTv6 mounts that they do not need in good shape I would be willing to buy them for a reasonable price. I need to get the engine situated properly and then I can work on the cradle a bit. Oh well I am also working on the window alignment. The drivers and passenger side windows are horribly adjusted. They both basically close OUTSIDE of the window gaskets. Amazingly they do not leak inside the car but I want to get them adjusted properly so they close and the windows work properly. Still lots of work to do but I really want to get the car running right so I can move onto the fun stuff like doing some bodywork and interior work on this thing. Peace

Pete

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well fellas,
It has been some time since I posted in this thread. I have been really busy with other things. Most importantly I have been in the midst of a retrofit of a Cincinatti Vertical machining center. That has been a challenge and has taken up most of my spare time since I started it a couple months ago. well it made its first parts last week and this week it made its first paying parts. Nothing earth shattering but it is nice to finally be getting money from it rather than putting money into it for once LOL. Either way the GT is still here and I have been trying to work on little things here and there. It STILL runs like crap but it does run. Have not messed with it since the last time and still have no real good ideas about what could be wrong with the motor. I am hoping to be able to spend some more time under the hood trying to get it sorted out but we will see.

I have also been thinking about some new ideas for custom Fiero parts that I can machine on the Cincinatti. The machine is VERY precise and way more powerful and accurate than my last CNC that I made all those cool emblems on. That was fun but this in another animal entirely LOL. The parts I made today for a customer were out of some square steel tubing and while my last machine cut steel okay this one made it look like it was cutting paper LOL. I spent a TON of cash trying to get this monster breathing with a new faster more powerful control system so I hope to be able to start paying myself back with it now. I know my wife would appreciate it LOL. I do not make anything for brakes or suspension unfortunately as I do not have adequate insurance for such liabilities and I have turned away customers quite a few times that wanted those kinda parts. I hate to but I gotta be realistic. Anything else that is legal is fair game tho. The Fiero is a lot of fun and I hope to get to the point where I can make some cool stuff for it now and start enjoying the cars some more.

I still want to lower the car here but I was waiting for my custom wheel purchase to happen. I have already pretty much picked out my wheels but they are expensive and I am saving my pennies so it may take awhile LOL.

I did manage to install the headlight gears and rebuilt the assemblies with the aluminum CNC machined gears but for some reason I think I have an electrical problem because they do not work the same on each side. Again not much time recently to mess with it. Hoping to get more time soon here and get to it. I hope you all are doing well and just saying hello to my local Fiero Friends. Peace

Pete

------------------

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well guys.... I am unfortunately having to put this car up for sale. I havI e done a lot of work to it but I just don't have the time nor the cash to do what I really want with it. It runs and drives and I have some parts for it like some decent taillight lenses etc. It still needs a good bit of work to be finished but there is a LOT of potential there. The seats are in nice shape but the dash has some cracks. Gonna post it in the mall here in a bit. Looking to sell or trade it. Thanks and peace...

Pete

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock