I've been putting off making this build thread for a while now, but I keep getting asked to make one. It's pretty much done by the way, I just don't have any final pictures yet.
A little bit of basic information first:
I am a severely time-stretched full-time college student and full-time web developer/designer, somehow we still got this done over six or seven long weekends. This is NOT AT ALL a quick and dirty swap. We did what was necessary to swap the engine. I'm sort of OCD about how things look and fit and function.
This car is an '88 t-top coupe.
The engine is from a '99 Bonneville SSEi.
The transmission is an NOS Isuzu transmission (don't use this. Making it work is terrible, the cables (at least on this swap, with the factory trans mounts) want to be exactly in the middle of the air intake ducting.
The swap uses stock mounting of all accessories, as well as stock belt sizes.
The battery is not relocated. When I do relocate it, I plan on moving the coil pack to that location, because it looks incredible.
The ECU is in the stock Fiero location. It was programmed by Sinister Performance (excellent company) and the harness was made by FIEROFLYER (it is of good quality and works well).
Ryan at Sinister - awesome job on the ECU, useful threads and posts, informative and helpful website.
Everyone else - this is a great community. I got a lot of ideas and motivation from looking at build threads (although we ran into a lot of problems I've never seen)
My dad, Shawn Mealey - dropped the engine, loaned me cash, helped out like crazy. Couldn't have done it without him.
Jacob Barkell - welded up my exhaust and brackets, did an awesome job. He also does a lot of BMW stuff, namely M42 swaps into 2002's. Link soon.
The guy I borrowed the compressor from - couldn't have sandblasted my parts without it, and they would have sucked. Sorry, can't remember your name, whoever you are.
This is the first round of shots - here goes.
The empty engine bay:
The Fiero up on stumps (hey, they held trees, they can hold a car):
The old engine outside the car:
The whole cradle assembly. Looks pretty cool, in my opinion:
The new engine, from a 1999 Bonneville SSEi (note that ridiculous bracket on the front:
New engine again:
Pretty epic shot of the new engine and its recipient:
We built this mount because the oil filter adapter was in the way of the typical mount location (all the other ones I've seen have used the bracket directly under the engine). Now the oil filter is one of the easiest to reach in any car I've seen. No more stupid cartridge filter from the duke! It is basically a dogbone, removing the need to low-mount the alternator. (Note, we run the P/S pump outlet to the inlet, forming a loop and making it effectively an idler):
Conventional back bracket, uses '79 Dodge 318 V8 mounts, cheap and highly recommended. Mounts using bolts from A/C bracket, has more than enough clearance.
After blasting, I painted all the brackets:
Exhaust parts, all mandrel bent, C6 tips (which aren't on yet):
Sandblasted and then painted suspension links:
Poly bushings, I highly recommend them. The don't squeak if you use liberal amounts of lithium grease, and they look pretty cool.
A small shot of some of the parts we used. If you're making a budget for a swap, take your unexpected/misc. costs amount and multiply it by about five. Maybe more.
*I've put on some stainless fuel hoses instead of the rubber, and will be relocating the coil pack soon. Stay tuned.
[This message has been edited by Fiero1K (edited 03-22-2012).]