Fiero as a Rally car by Austrian Import
Started on: 08-26-2011 10:03 PM
Replies: 28 (4200 views)
Last post by: KentsOkay on 02-20-2014 01:40 AM
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember seeing pictures, incl. the archives of Fieros used as rally cars. Is that still the case?
Are there any members who actively participate in rally driving (Fiero, or otherwise)? How did you get started?

I would like to learn more about the sport in general, and how a Fiero holds up driving rally style.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I could think of anyone off the top of my head that would know 'Fiero' and 'rally' in the same sentence it is Doug Chase.

I think it's been some time Doug has posted here though. He sold the car not too long ago. It was promptly totaled the first time out by the new owner. He also was autocrossing an '88 GT for a while as well, so he knows how to get down both on and off the road.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero is an inherent race car. The balance and weight tell you that.

You do need, however, correct sway bars to give it stability and directed oversteer, but, hey, it is almost ideal in concept.

The big problem is the age. Parts are old. and you need to carry additional parts, especially suspension for breakage.

I'd love to do it but my pockets aren't deep enough.

Arn

------------------

PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a fiero rally car would be cool. About as close as you could get to the old group B rally cars without spending (even more of) a fortune
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for posting the Doug Chase pics. That's really cool. I've always known that rally racing is serious (ab)use to a car, seeing the Fiero mended like that tells me he is a hard core rally driver.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a mid-engined car, it sure did come down hard on the nose!
ThatFieroKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was a really neat video.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ThatFieroKid:
That was a really neat video.

That's Doug Chase's old car. That's the incident that occurred after it was sold and purchased by the new owner(s).
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
and that folks is what happens when you letoff the gas suddenly in a midengine, poor end to that car
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am surprised the body work can even take any beating like that figured the only thing left would be the doors and bonnet and deck lid if it did it.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5:00 on the video has a great shot of the fiero catching some major air.
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieros suck for rallycross
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Fieros suck for rallycross

Don't hit-n-run with just one comment. Please elaborate.
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've run a Fiero in rallycross for a couple seasons.

In rallycross events run in grass or in a field, the first few cars strip off the sod/root structure and it gets somewhat muddy (even when it hasn't rained for quite a while). Once this happens, your tires will accumulate slime.

Front wheel drive cars can sling the mud out of the tread blocks and keep making traction, whereas rear wheel drive cars' front tires just turn into mudballs and slide. With a car with little weight on the front, there's not even very much "scrubbing" action across the tread when the tires slide to get them cleaned off.

Consequently, every place where there's a tight turn, you have to slow down to a crawl while the fronts slide on their skim-coat of mud; meanwhile the front wheel drive cars spin their wheels like mad and keep their tires clean and round the same corner at WOT that you had to slow down for.

Also, the Fiero is not a narrow car. Cars like the EG Civic that have a narrower width excel in the slaloms, since they run a straighter path through the slalom. I regularly got spanked in rallycross by a 4 door, 5 speed, 1.3 liter 4 cylinder Geo Metro sedan.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^ The above is correct. Notice that in the WRC there has never been any sort of RWD vehicle in competition (other than I guess the Lancia Stratos). WRC competition spec have primarily always been 4WD/AWD or FWD, and in most SCCA-ran rallies the cars of choice are actually FWD cars because of not only the above but also how cheap one can find such a vehicle.

I'd imagine trying to accelerate in a Fiero during a rally event must be atrocious.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 09-06-2011).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any other info/pictures of rally fieros?

And yes, I know rwd is more difficult to handle, but that's why it's more awe inspiring when people master it.

Read the story of Bill Caswell: http://jalopnik.com/5497042...at-400k-rally-racers
http://jalopnik.com/5799806...ar-returns-to-mexico
http://jalopnik.com/5815219...wboat-off-pikes-peak
http://www.caswellmotorsport.com/
carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

That was great!
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any more pics/footage?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Google found this when I searched for "rally fiero" //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-1-026431.html
And a few videos of a red and white rally fiero.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a reason you did not see many Fiero's in rallys and even less in victory lane.

I love my Fiero but it would never be my first choice to race or rally. You can make one run but there are other choices that do not need the major changes to make them competitive.

The only type of racing the Fiero in stock form ever did very well was autocrossing as several did win national championships with them. Most were 88's. I am not sure if there is a good class for them now or not but back then you could win with one and not have many major changes. to it.
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd rally a Fiero without hesitation on dry gravel/tarmac/sand stages, but like I said before, there's just nothing to be done when it gets muddy/sloppy/slimy; I was about to fit 3-rib tractor tires to the front of my car at the end of the last season I rallycrossed it, but elected not to since it would bump me out of my classes (the tractor fronts are not D.O.T. approved)
PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

^^^ The above is correct. Notice that in the WRC there has never been any sort of RWD vehicle in competition (other than I guess the Lancia Stratos). WRC competition spec have primarily always been 4WD/AWD or FWD, and in most SCCA-ran rallies the cars of choice are actually FWD cars because of not only the above but also how cheap one can find such a vehicle.

I'd imagine trying to accelerate in a Fiero during a rally event must be atrocious.

actually, before the quattro hit us back in the day, a lot of rally cars were RWD (with the SAAB's and Mini's being an obvious exception). Last time I checked, and yes, that was a couple of years ago, RWD cars dominated the amateur rally and rallycross (actually, several FWD cars have been changed to RWD for rallycross) scene here in sweden. A lot of people were running FWD cars in rallies, but I would say that's mainly because there aren't many viable RWD options (if you want a compact, relatively new and relatively inexpensive car. If you want an expensive car you might as well go 4WD).

vaguely relevant video (as we're talking rallycross):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWbVT8xU6jA

edit to add: I think a Fiero could do well in this type of event (in a 2WD class of course, not against the 4WD monsters in the video), but it would definitely require a different driving style than the front-engined RWD competition

[This message has been edited by PerKr (edited 12-22-2011).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well at least on the hobby level it could be fun. I understand that Fiero's aren't competitive anymore. Once you modify the Fiero, it gets bumped into classes it can't compete in. I'm not sure if the latter applies to rally, but it seems true for SCCA road racing, or Autocross.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found another one:

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

I've run a Fiero in rallycross for a couple seasons.

In rallycross events run in grass or in a field, the first few cars strip off the sod/root structure and it gets somewhat muddy (even when it hasn't rained for quite a while). Once this happens, your tires will accumulate slime.

Front wheel drive cars can sling the mud out of the tread blocks and keep making traction, whereas rear wheel drive cars' front tires just turn into mudballs and slide. With a car with little weight on the front, there's not even very much "scrubbing" action across the tread when the tires slide to get them cleaned off.

Consequently, every place where there's a tight turn, you have to slow down to a crawl while the fronts slide on their skim-coat of mud; meanwhile the front wheel drive cars spin their wheels like mad and keep their tires clean and round the same corner at WOT that you had to slow down for.

Also, the Fiero is not a narrow car. Cars like the EG Civic that have a narrower width excel in the slaloms, since they run a straighter path through the slalom. I regularly got spanked in rallycross by a 4 door, 5 speed, 1.3 liter 4 cylinder Geo Metro sedan.

I for one have never drivin a fiero on a rally course but, I drive it in Michigan winter as my DD with low tread all seasons. There comes a time when you have to steer with the throttle, my front tires never gripped so to make a turn I just had to jab the throttle and point the car where I want to go. So I don't see why you have to slow way down, when you can steer with the throttle and rotate the car around the corner.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
True, but there is so much more to that. Just the throttle will get you into big trouble on dirt roads. - I learned that very quick on day 1, or two of Rally Racing school. - Quite hairy actually.
KentsOkay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentsOkaySend a Private Message to KentsOkayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey gang! First time poster. Has anyone recently put together a rally/off roady Fiero?

My daily driver and "track" car is a '90 Vette. I love it maybe a bit too much, and as such I don't want to do in it all the mad things I want to do. I'm thinking of getting a cheap ($3k?) Fiero and turning it into a poorman's Lancia Stratos. I don't have any racing aspirations beyond amateur rallycross, as such I don't plan on sinking tons of money into besides suspension, tires, and maybe a turbo. Has anyone done such a thing recently? I've seen the Jalapeno kit but other than that my searches haven't turned up much.

Thanks!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock