The official TDI engine swap by bmwguru
Started on: 09-27-2010 12:41 PM
Replies: 246 (35439 views)
Last post by: bmwguru on 08-07-2017 04:31 AM
ccfiero350

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking the VW TDI motor is actually manufactured in Poland?

Looky me, I own page two!
------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock
white 88 notchie, 4 banger

[This message has been edited by ccfiero350 (edited 01-07-2011).]

IP: Logged
JesseM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

The only updates we have so far is that we are still parting out the Jetta to help fund this swap. The axles are not going to be cheap. Once we get a little more of the car parted, we should be starting on the fun part of the swap. I figure it will be a few months before we are really digging into this.
Dave
ps....keep in mind that since this swap is not a customer's, it is not first on the list. Still working on project Midtrbo and another 3800s/c (re)swap that was at Loyde's but never got done.

Gotcha Gotcha, I am also excited about MidTurbo... just don't disappear for to long :]
Boni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoniClick Here to visit Boni's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've no idea where is VW TDI produced, both "diesel" and "VW" are not in my vocabulary but it doesnt matter, if they produce in PL now, there are zylions VW Golfs and Passates and siblings (Seats, Skodas, etc) here. The most popular tuning in PL is 'lets make a few HP more on VW diesel', I think

------------------
Fiero 1985 notch 2.5 automatic
http://boni.smutek.pl/auto

17Car

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool project!
What size wheels are on the donor? I'm guessing 15?
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

and another 3800s/c (re)swap that was at Loyde's but never got done.

Details? Chop Top possibly?
Boni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoniClick Here to visit Boni's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 17Car:
Cool project!
What size wheels are on the donor? I'm guessing 15?

Maybe 16. They came with 15 and 16, last weeks I've lookin (lazy ) for this stuff for fiero, and there are many 16 from Golfs and Jettas. Nice and cheap here, but Im not sure if I like it on pontiac

Other hand, project will be cooler, if engine will be top-powered VW 1.9 TDI. This version is low end - indestructible and microscope mph but pathetic 90HP or am I wrong?

------------------

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Details? Chop Top possibly?

I'll have more details on that in the Haus of Guru thread within the next few weeks. I have a fun game we are going to play while building that car.

As for the TDI, the goal here is fuel economy. I originally wanted to use the jetta 5 speed and swap in a different 5th gear to increase fuel economy, but the Formula and TDI we have are both automatic transmission. I still think we can get great fuel economy.
I do like the look of some of the VW wheels on the Fiero. My VR6 Fiero has GTI rims and I think they look better than most aftermarket wheels, in my opinion.

Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

Boni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoniClick Here to visit Boni's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Economy is great for this TDI, true. And they have best opinions here, compare to higher powered 1.9TDI. Maybe a little to much NHV for me, but when I pay for gas for smooooth oldie V8, NHV of small diesel looks much better FYI - gas price here jump to about 6.3$ per galon (last days we had break thru support level in PLN/liter).

I was near to buy nice cond. 16 rim set from Bora last week, for fiero, but I had doubts. Other hand, there are thousands VWs on these rims here, its boring

------------------

mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
update?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

update?

Still parting out the Jetta to fund the parts needed for the swap. The car is starting to look more like a big skeleton. We need to finish up "Project Midtrbo" and another 3800 swap that will be announced this weekend. After that, we should be in full speed ahead for this swap.
Dave
Ian F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ian FSend a Private Message to Ian FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave,
If all 4 Avus wheels are still available, I'd be interested.

Personally, I really like the RX II's, but they are a tad on the heavy side if the goal is economy.
Ian

[This message has been edited by Ian F (edited 01-28-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ian F:

Dave,
If all 4 Avus wheels are still available, I'd be interested.

Personally, I really like the RX II's, but they are a tad on the heavy side if the goal is economy.
Ian

Congrats on popping your posting cherry.... I wonder how many more are lurking.....
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ian,
Good to see you ventured into my part of the woods.
There is only one rim left. Give the shop a call if you happen to need any other parts.
Dave
Ian F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ian FSend a Private Message to Ian FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably a few, since this thread was linked over on TDIclub. I've been watching it since Dave sent me a link after starting it, since my daily driver is a TDI. That said, I also mainly know Dave through MINI's and his shop/day-job.

[This message has been edited by Ian F (edited 01-28-2011).]

raymondlee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raymondleeSend a Private Message to raymondleeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is right up my alley.

You should really try to get ahold of a 5 speed transmission if possible. those transmissions don't hold up very well. those motor go for well above 250k easily.
any 4 cylinder hydraulic trans will work. 1.8t 2.0 and the 1.9 tdi use the same trans. the tdi's just have a taller 5th gear which will get you above the 50mpg mark. While the motor is out please change the timing belt, they like to snap at 70k.Take out the stupid plasic water pump and install a metal one. I will shut up now.You guys are the experts so you probably knew all of this anyway. I just thought i'd add my help since I am vw addict I love the VR6 fiero you did too. I got that same motor i nmy jetta. I will really shut up now.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by raymondlee:

this is right up my alley.

You should really try to get ahold of a 5 speed transmission if possible. those transmissions don't hold up very well. those motor go for well above 250k easily.
any 4 cylinder hydraulic trans will work. 1.8t 2.0 and the 1.9 tdi use the same trans. the tdi's just have a taller 5th gear which will get you above the 50mpg mark. While the motor is out please change the timing belt, they like to snap at 70k.Take out the stupid plasic water pump and install a metal one. I will shut up now.You guys are the experts so you probably knew all of this anyway. I just thought i'd add my help since I am vw addict I love the VR6 fiero you did too. I got that same motor i nmy jetta. I will really shut up now.

I could build either a manual or automatic VW swap, but our Fiero is an auto, so why change it? My VR6 swap uses the 02J manual transmission. The 01M automatic transmission only has high failure rate when: not being serviced every 50,000 miles; also, most techs don't know there is a seperate differential case and fluid that is normally empty by the time problems present themselves.
The VW's I maintain rarely have transmission issues because I know what to look for and prevent failures....when they can be prevented.
If you look earlier in this thread, the timing belt and water pump have been done, along with the glow plugs and fuel filter.

If you ever get up this way, I'll give you a ride in the VR6. It starts pulling at 1500rpms and keeps pulling all the way to 7500rpms....not a lot of whp, but it just has that european "fast car" feeling.
Dave
raymondlee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raymondleeSend a Private Message to raymondleeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good deal.

judging by your screen name im hoping to see a straight 6 s50 in a fiero after this one.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome idea guru!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the latest.
The donor car has been stripped. There are still a lot of parts listed on TDI Club and VW Vortex for sale to help fund this swap. The next step is to pull the TDI's intake manifold and clean all the carbon. I normally do this every 50,000 miles on my customer's cars. We waited to do this after the engine was pulled to make it easier. Note that the seats were all shot. Cig burns, stains, etc.
Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 03-05-2011).]

tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you gotten to the point of starting on the maint of the engine and trans?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we have been on hold for a bit. I have two more swaps to finish up and then we are holding off on the swaps for a bit to get this project done. Sorry for the delay, but life happens.
Dave
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Following this conversion closely. I've wanted to do this for a long time, I'm just not the guy to pull it off. When you decide to do a manual conversion, we can talk. Although I know it's not needed, good luck and have fun.

------------------
Ron

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to bump this up to see if anything was going on with this project.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph
FOR SALE
GM Tuners

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we hauled the Formula down to the Haus (we hauled it to my house for the winter) to prep it for paint and interior work, but otherwise not much has happened due to the amount of swaps we need to finish. We have two cars left to build and then the TDI swap will be our only project....we are taking a four month "time off" 3800 swaps to allow us to build this car.
Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 06-18-2011).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As Larry the Cable Guy said, Git'r Done.

------------------
Ron

BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BuMp!
fierofury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much would you charge a customer to have this swap done with the jetta 5 speed?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have to complete this one first. We need to finish up Michael's "project cr3810n" first and then we plan to hit this build 100%.
fierofury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good, I'll be watching this thread.
ThatFieroKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2012 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Subscribed and a bump.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2012 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have been working on it lately. The car should be back from paint next week. Ryan did all the prepping to lessen the time spent at the body shop. Then we plan to POR 15 the engine bay and drop the TDI in.
The drivetrain is 100% prepped. The intake got the carbon cleaned last week. The TDI should have the intake cleaned every 50,000 miles. It is a pretty simple job. Here are a few before and after pics...

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 01-23-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2012 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't you love when you can barely stick a pencil through the intake gunk? Can't wait to see the pair mated together. How did you deal with the fuel tank? Clean out the stock Fiero tank and drop in the VW pick up (or however it works)?
Burning Oil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burning OilClick Here to visit Burning Oil's HomePageSend a Private Message to Burning OilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, whats the latest on this swap. Im very interested in what you will do for the motor mounts...ect.
I have been contimplating this same swap for awhile now. I bought an 87 fiero its a complete drive ready car and a 84 fiero that is in boxes. I just bought a 2002 Golf two weeks ago for the donor. I plan on two versions, one being a transverse mount TDI fiero and another being a Longitudinal mount kit car based on the Fiero.
I dicided yesterday to check online and see if anyone had done the same swap before and hit on this post. Anyone know of other TDI in a fiero swap?
I'm getting ready to start on mine pretty soon. Im going to see if there is a giude on how to post pictures here.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been hard to find the spare time to work on this project. The drivetrain is in the engine bay currently, but I don't plan to update the build thread until it is farther along. There are a few issues we ran into on this setup vs my vr6 setup.
the drivetrain is a few inches wider and the 88 cradle is a few inches narrower, so that was one hurdle we had to overcome.
the second issue is we are at an impasse as to the way we both want to do the instrument cluster. I figure once we get a free evening, a few beers, ryan and I will come to a mutual decision. The only thing we have decided is that we plan to use the VW cluster.
Dave
Burning Oil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burning OilClick Here to visit Burning Oil's HomePageSend a Private Message to Burning OilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tring to post a pic of car. Thanks.

Edit, well the picture did not work.

[This message has been edited by Burning Oil (edited 06-24-2012).]

Burning Oil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burning OilClick Here to visit Burning Oil's HomePageSend a Private Message to Burning OilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Burning Oil

39 posts
Member since Jun 2012
Im still pretty new to the Fiero, are you saying the 88 cradle is narrower than 87>? Mine is an 87. Do you have pictures of the TDI in the craddle? specificaly motor mounts?
Airborne29th

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Airborne29thSend a Private Message to Airborne29thEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP!

Any new updates on this? Am rather interested to see if this is possible, I enjoyed reading the VR6 swap before.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
about 80% complete....

ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see things progressing on this project! Anything new on the 2.8 turbo project?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, we took over a year break from this swap to build other Fieros.
we don't build 2.8 swaps....I assume you meant the 3800 turbo 6 speed? That car is finished...just needs test miles.
dave
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock