Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Who has the cleanest 3800SC Swap? (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Who has the cleanest 3800SC Swap? by tomanyfieros
Started on: 12-01-2009 04:08 PM
Replies: 116 (6189 views)
Last post by: JCircs on 08-27-2014 01:38 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

I did the same porcess with my blower looked like polished aluminum before i started with eching primer and then paint lots of coats !

and the end result was super clean !

Nice job. That's very simillar to the Earl Sessions (lildevil) supercharger look except he painted his a deeper red. I must credit Earl as being the first to try this approach as he did his about 8 or 9 years ago. Earl was very active back then, but every once and a while, he still shows his car and attends Fieros at Carlisle. Earl still posts occasionally on this forum. IIRC Earl was also the first 3800SC in the 11's or was it low 12's? .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis LaGrua

15143 posts
Member since May 2000

Originally posted by rpro:

As some of you may know, I am now the owner of skitime's 3800sc GT. It's probably about as sanitary as any swap I've ever seen, especially when you consider it was
Photo courtesy of Dave Horst.

Daves swap was neat and clean but ditch that sign. That sign clearly shows the narcissism of the builder. "Supercharged Intercooled" So what! Big f**king deal, lots of us have superchargers and run intercoolers. Maybe the next sign by that builder will say "Look at me I'm great" .
For a car that features a 14 year old (1997 engine), narrow restrictive WCF headers and an ECM with a chip; its performance (or potential) is hardly a Fiero to start boasting about. If you want to feature the customizing, that was well done but again compare this to what V8 Archie is doing and you will see that it is hardly anything to boast about. This is a car that will only impress the amateurs.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

My Car:

My vote as well. This kind of sets the Bar for my plans though that bar is pretty high!
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed... even without the custom flame job that install looks very tight and tidy. Peace

Pete
Hardpact

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HardpactSend a Private Message to HardpactEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Daves swap was neat and clean but ditch that sign. That sign clearly shows the narcissism of the builder. "Supercharged Intercooled" So what! Big f**king deal, lots of us have superchargers and run intercoolers. Maybe the next sign by that builder will say "Look at me I'm great" .
For a car that features a 14 year old (1997 engine), narrow restrictive WCF headers and an ECM with a chip; its performance (or potential) is hardly a Fiero to start boasting about. If you want to feature the customizing, that was well done but again compare this to what V8 Archie is doing and you will see that it is hardly anything to boast about. This is a car that will only impress the amateurs.

Pretty harsh words Dennis!!

my vote is for Fierofreak00's as well super clean and hardly see a wire looks like it came from the factory that way!!!

------------------

BLUE BY YOU!
NYFOC

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hardpact:
Pretty harsh words Dennis!!

my vote is for Fierofreak00's as well super clean and hardly see a wire looks like it came from the factory that way!!!

Agreed... that sign appears to me to be for Car shows and whatnot. It would serve to let uninformed bystanders know just what the hell they were looking at. That swap is as clean as any for the most part and appears to look well cared for despite it's 14 yr old engine. Personally I would be proud to sport a car and engine that clean regardless. Peace

Pete

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, did Dave kick your dog or something? Considering his was done in 2000-ish the engine was maybe 4 years old at the time, and how many 3800-swapped Fieros were running around back then? Seeing Dave's car in person inspired me to do my first 3800 swap, still one of my favorites. Also the topic is "Who has the cleanest 3800SC swap", not "who has the most bad-ass-powerful and doesn't advertise that they have an intercooler 3800SC swap"

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone that doesn't know what a supercharger looks like isn't going to know what the term "supercharged intercooled" means anyway.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Even if it is 10 yrs older it still looks 10 times better than yours. And look who says "Look at me I'm great" Just roll to page 2.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Was it necessary to treat the new owner like this?

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
come on guys !! Lets get back to the thread i love seeing clean installs, and I will have to say I was just at a show this weekend and most guys thought i had put a SC on a 2.8L motor LOL goes to show you that at a car show a sign is nessessary or a build write up placker board because most do not know what they are looking at !
KEEP THE PICS COMMING

I have seen Lildvil at carlisle in 2010 very nice car I took lots of mental notes before i stated my build when he opened the electric dump he has, I had to have it on mine !!!
PFF
System Bot
amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My vote goes to Fierofreakoo's install to! Very clean and tastefully done!

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom
President of Maryland Fiero Owners Club MFOC
NYFOC Member

revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll play...
Latest

Old 1st one
nosrac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I'll play...
Latest

Please show more pics of Driver side dog bone setup.
I need something pretty to copy.

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Well, I happen to be pretty proud of it. Sorry you feel it's an antiquated piece of sh^t. The above picture is ten years old. I don't sport that type of signage when I show the car, but I do liberally display build sheets that describe the dozens of trick mod's that Dave and myself have done over the course of time. This crate motor now has eight thousand miles on it and I'm not about to disturb it because of your dis-satisfaction.

[This message has been edited by rpro (edited 06-08-2012).]

kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like all of them.

------------------

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rpro:

Well, I happen to be pretty proud of it. Sorry you feel it's an antiquated piece of sh^t. The above picture is ten years old. I don't sport that type of signage when I show the car, but I do liberally display build sheets that describe the dozens of trick mod's that Dave and myself have done over the course of time. This crate motor now has eight thousand miles on it and I'm not about to disturb it because of your dis-satisfaction.

. If you go back and re-read, I did remark that the car was neat, nice and well done for the times but in terms of todays swaps and builds that sign seem to indicate that the guy that designed it believed that his accomplishment was some kind of remarkable achievement. It is not. I'm just not impressed with a big sign that boasts of one who was so great that only he could install a 3800 with an intercooler in a Fiero. Lots of guys including myself could do that swap in our sleep. A simple sign that tells of everything in the car and on the engine would IMO say it best.
If you look at the beautiful flame artwork on Jasons valve cover and supercharger; I know the talented individual that did this artistry and he's not putting up any signs saying "look at Da Vinci". He doesn't have to as his talent and work in the Fiero community speaks for itself.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

. If you go back and re-read, I did remark that the car was neat, nice and well done for the times but in terms of todays swaps and builds that sign seem to indicate that the guy that designed it believed that his accomplishment was some kind of remarkable achievement. It is not. I'm just not impressed with a big sign that boasts of one who was so great that only he could install a 3800 with an intercooler in a Fiero. Lots of guys including myself could do that swap in our sleep. A simple sign that tells of everything in the car and on the engine would IMO say it best.
If you look at the beautiful flame artwork on Jasons valve cover and supercharger; I know the talented individual that did this artistry and he's not putting up any signs saying "look at Da Vinci". He doesn't have to as his talent and work in the Fiero community speaks for itself.

You're comparing a 10 year old picture with current ones, and holding it against the original owner while throwing it in the face of the current owner? Not one person in this thread has agreed with your attitude on this man. Maybe you can build a 3800 in your sleep, but could or did you 10 years ago when that pic was taken? Were 3800 swaps commonplace back then? You're coming off pretty badly on this one.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LOL....If you been around the Forum long enough you know I had no like for Skitime and we went round and round in several Threads. With that I have to laugh at your comments Dennis. Skitime did this swap ten years back when clean swaps where un heard of and he is one of the few that set clean swaps into motion. To come in here to bash on his swap to the new owner is just showing your stupidity. If the car will only impress AMATEURS then you must be hell of impressed cause thats about all you are. While you have built a few swaps you have not done anything over the top impressive or had anything impressive move down the track with your builds...
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having seen skitimes car in person i have to say i could care less about the swap its a great swap I was more blown away about how tastefully it was done everything from the paint to the body work and to the interior.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a couple of other pictures of my engine (3800 SC Series III with intercooler and N* TV) on this thread but this is from a slightly different angle.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 06-09-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think Skitime's swap was the most known 3800 S/C detailed swap out there presented here on the forum.

For our Canadian friends, RULOOKIN probably has the cleanest swap on this side of the border. No offence, but this is what I've seen via PFF.
He's got one heck of a clean 88GT plus the engine bay with the 3800 set-up, he's got alot of detailed parts.

Lloyde (FastFieros) had a creative way of hiding all the wires for a "un-messy" approch; clean, "down to the engine" swap.
Forget the issues we learned about him personally, but the guy has / had talent.

I've seen many 3800 swap here over the years, but Ski-time and RULOOKIN are the first 3800 S/C swap that come to mind first.
Plus, they are both built on 88 platforms where they belong.
------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 06-12-2012).]

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I edited my original post to display a recent picture that wouldn't offend Dennis. There are so many awesome swaps in this thread, but I am torn between some of Lloyd's stuff and RULookin for my all time favorites.

[This message has been edited by rpro (edited 06-23-2012).]

Pappy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

that sign seem to indicate that the guy that designed it believed that his accomplishment was some kind of remarkable achievement. It is not. I'm just not impressed with a big sign that boasts of one who was so great that only he could install a 3800 with an intercooler in a Fiero. Lots of guys including myself could do that swap in our sleep. A simple sign that tells of everything in the car and on the engine would IMO say it best.

Hey Dennis do you mean something like this?

"THE COLUSSUS"

Cuz that's the same thing isn't it?

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 06-09-2012).]

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More self important word vomit in the works! It's sad you have such a hard time saying something positive without it.

Edit to add: rpro, You do you bud. If it makes you happy, go for it! Don't let this negative Nancy get you down, Just ignore him like everyone else does.

That is all.

[This message has been edited by katore8105 (edited 06-10-2012).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I consider Skitime's 3800SC built to be one of the top 5 3800SC swaps from an aesthetic standpoint... and here is why.

It was built 10 years ago at a time when people were actually telling him not to do a 3800SC because it wouldn't look nice under his decklid window. Most people consider the 3800SC a good looking swap these days, and Skitime's was one of the pioneers to prove the 3800SC didn't have to hide behind its engine cover.

It was built back before there were many vendor options for bolt on parts so if he wanted to improve the engine's look, he had to build/fabricate/modify it himself. If you are aware of the build, you know that Skitime fabricated just about everything he needed for the swap (except the WCF headers and the intercooler stack), and did so with a very high level of pride in his work and supurb attention to detail on everything's impact on the overall look of the swap. Just look at what he did to the stock steel fuel rail...amazing.

His install was in a car that was just as equally modified and tastefully refined and every part added had his personal tweak.

It has been 10 years and the car is still impressive to look at. It takes a lot of time/effort/dedication in keeping a show car worthy installation looking show car worthy.

His engine swap was built at a time when you couldn't do this:

Look in the archives:
For mounts: Purplereign, Fierox, WCF and others
For a harness: phonedawg, and one other guy from up North who's name I cannot recall
For miscellaneous ready made parts, trans & Throttle brackets, water outlets, etc West Coast Fiero and Whodeanie
For performance goodies: ZZ Performance.
For Programming software : HP Tuners VCM suite
For engines and powertrains: Ed Morad (Morad Parts). Ed's honest and reliable, but check prices first as I've seen some of his engines priced for what a rebuilt 3800 long block goes for.
Axles: need to be made up, Depending on how the engine was mounted and who's mounts you used you will use Beretta, Cavalier, Transport Van . Pontiac 6000, Fiero Manual or even a made up GTP axle. With all axles the Fiero manual outer cv's must be installed at the ends.

Sure there are some more modern 3800SC sways that have continued to raise the bar, but Skitime's swap is still quite impressive.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 06-10-2012).]

helmet1978

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for helmet1978Click Here to visit helmet1978's HomePageSend a Private Message to helmet1978Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the product if my tinkering in the garage a couple years ago:

No fancy painting yet but certainly better than a stock Pontiac engine bay

------------------
http://www.raceme.cc/helmet/

Hardpact

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HardpactSend a Private Message to HardpactEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pappy:

Hey Dennis do you mean something like this?

"THE COLUSSUS"

Cuz that's the same thing isn't it?

Well said my friend !!

------------------

BLUE BY YOU!
NYFOC

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a good looking 3800 SC swap provided by Whodeanie. The picture is not the best because of camera flash issues but the workmanship is very good.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 06-12-2012).]

j bf1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for j bf1Send a Private Message to j bf1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!

Originally posted by exoticse:

Thanks Pete.

The car is currently getting a widebody installed, and it will be torch red.

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I can say is there are some fantastic works of art in this thread. Well done guys. I prefer function over form but I do like it to look clean & well thought out. I'll never have an engine as pretty as 95% of what has been posted in here! Pretty sure I have DH swap covered, but not much else! LOL
PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been a while, but I finally have it in (at least for the moment)...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 11-05-2012).]

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have the cleanest but its not done yet.... ill post pics in about 10 yrs
Fierostarvin

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for bumping this thread, I've been looking for it for 2 days
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's mine I just finished... Not the cleanest over all, but possibly the cleanest stock one... No mods, just removed, and painted/cleaned a bunch of stuff....

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project now tearing up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels, suspension and more! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IanT720

1703 posts
Member since Sep 2010
And belts!
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's bring this thread back from the dead....
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock