Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Aftermarket radio install kits. Post pics and info please (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Aftermarket radio install kits. Post pics and info please by skitime
Started on: 02-05-2007 09:33 PM
Replies: 64 (5018 views)
Last post by: Shho13 on 08-15-2015 11:11 AM
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are considering installing an aftermarket radio, not in the red GT, but our white GT. There are tons of choices of radios but I would like to see pics of what radio mounting kit you used. There are several possibilities with Scosche brand mounts. So please post pics and list the model radio install kit you used. Thanks

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 02-05-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87GT_97114

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT_97114Click Here to visit 87GT_97114's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87GT_97114Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a kit from these guys on my '89 Bonneville. Quality parts, good instructions, reasonable prices.

http://www.installer.com/kits/

I don't have any pics right now, I'll try and get some tomorrow. The Bonne has the same type GM 1.5 DIN radio as Fiero does.

------------------

'85 Indy clone 4.9
'78 Toyota longbed, parts runner
'89 Bonneville daily driver
'87 30' Kit Classic TT, living in it.

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just get something from crutchfield and no worries... they send a kit and a how to sheet right to you. i would get pics but my deck will be out of the car soon... i'll try to get one before i put my laptop in.
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was hoping to see some install pics. Some of the mounts have a open compartment below the radio. I was hoping one of these would work.
timmer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here are a few
#1 http://www.partsexpress.com...roduct_ID=6642&DID=7
The rest that i will put up will have to be modified a litle bit to work but if you are a lil handy than it's ok .
#2 http://www.partsexpress.com...duct_ID=117740&DID=7

3# thisa will fit with a lil modding as well http://www.circuitcity.com/...ccd/productDetail.do

you can alson check on the listings for any others you might find interesting

[This message has been edited by timmer (edited 02-06-2007).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mount from www.humount.com with a Pioneer MP3 headunit with flip-down front.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 02-06-2007).]

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a mutlipurpose kit for the fiero that lets you flushmount the radio. You have to remove the metal tab at the back of the skeleton for the radio to fit though. It's rivited in to the plastic. Most kits for the fiero stick the radio out about an inch, you might have to ask around for this kit.

------------------

85SE
From: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada (yes, the town is named Paradise!)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEClick Here to visit 85SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Skitime,

Here's a pic that shows (kinda) the headunit mount in my car. It's from American International, the brand sold here in Canada by Canadian Tire. Left over kit from an old Cavalier I had.

http://s21.photobucket.com/...current=DSC00002.jpg

The radio sticks out about an inch and also makes it near to impossible to properly mount the trim plate. It's about a $20 kit, and you get what you pay for I guess. I can take a closer pic if you'd like.

I'm planning on buying one from humount.com this winter to upgrade.

HTH
Andrew

------------------

Now only mostly original 85 coupe with 42k miles ;)
http://www.unmentionable.ca

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
odd.. me and Alex got a cheapie from local Pepboys.. flush.. easy install directions w/pics.. and trim plate fits fine!

did have to rip out that STUPID metal peice though.. i hate that thing.

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 02-07-2007).]

domesticgal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for domesticgalSend a Private Message to domesticgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Mount from www.humount.com with a Pioneer MP3 headunit with flip-down front.

wow that looks great!!! Did you paint the red part in yourself? (Im looking at the site right now, and it shows it in black)
swisscheese

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its illuminated! You can have it in red or blue.
PFF
System Bot
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got one from humount.com as well. I love it! It is great. He made this one custom and will do it for anyone. It was done pretty quick and he sent me a picture before he shipped it so I knew what I was getting. Hook up is very simple and it looks sick.

-Tim
Torquenstein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TorquensteinClick Here to visit Torquenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to TorquensteinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agrees with Yellowstone and TD37! The humount.com kit is proabably the best mounting piece I've ever seen or used. The best part about it is proabably the way it still looks like a factory mounting piece.

Here's a couple of pics of mine. Although they really don't do these things justice.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Torquenstein (edited 02-07-2007).]

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody has a pic of that metal piece?
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i've gone with the pioneer gm sized radios the last few projects. fits right in.
jack_ink

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2007 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jack_inkClick Here to visit jack_ink's HomePageSend a Private Message to jack_inkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How hard is it to hookup the lighted humount one? I like it but hows the light get put in? just asking before buying?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2007 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just do 2 things.

Get a Flush Mount plate. Don't get the one that pushes the radio out, it looks really goofy and makes CD swaps a lot more difficult than it shoudl be.

2nd, buy a complete harness adapter, then carefully solder all the wires from the head unit to the adapter, then shrink tube all the connections. It makes radio install a 10min job rather than a 2hr job.
fastback 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2007 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastback 88Send a Private Message to fastback 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IThe lights come already installed just hook up pos. and neg wires when you install your radio. I have one and they look GREAT!!!
You will not be disapointed.
Torquenstein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2007 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TorquensteinClick Here to visit Torquenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to TorquensteinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jack_ink:

How hard is it to hookup the lighted humount one? I like it but hows the light get put in? just asking before buying?

They're LEDs and they come with the faceplate. Just a matter of putting them to the power wire and viola...done!

------------------

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2007 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
get a humont kit dave..he does great work and can customize it to your liking...tim...
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2007 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have looked into this faceplate before, and if i recall it says that you need to remove a stop in the back so that the radio can go back far enough, is this true? If so how hard is that to do, and what is recommended for the job. Also the plastic skeletal structure of my center counsil has some cracks and broken parts, i have looked through the boneyards and they are all in worse shape then what i have, so right now the only thing that holds my radio in is the trim piece arround the vents. Are the counsil skeletal structures sold anywhere? Could i just use the trim arround the vents to hold the flushmount radio plate in like its holding the aftermarket adapter that holds the radio in now? It makes me mad that the person that owned my car before me was careless with the radio install on a piece that is so hard to come by!! Thanks. To touch on what Capt Fiero said, he is very correct that it makes it harder to change CD's, and it does look kinda goofy, sorry i dont have any pics though.
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2007 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have removed that "clip, support" thing in the back on about 10 different Fiero's. Best way for me to get it done, is a long, 18" flat blade screw driver a hammer. You push the screw driver into the base of the clip with the handle well outside the radio pod and smack the handle with a hammer. Usually one or 2 good smacks and the rivets pop free.

It was only used to support the OEM style head units which are about twice the weight of a modern deck.

Torquenstein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TorquensteinClick Here to visit Torquenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to TorquensteinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

I have removed that "clip, support" thing in the back on about 10 different Fiero's. Best way for me to get it done, is a long, 18" flat blade screw driver a hammer. You push the screw driver into the base of the clip with the handle well outside the radio pod and smack the handle with a hammer. Usually one or 2 good smacks and the rivets pop free.

It was only used to support the OEM style head units which are about twice the weight of a modern deck.

Hahaha, I was wondering if I did the right thing by taking it out "by force and God's wraith". Thanks for reassuring me of that.

------------------

domesticgal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2007 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for domesticgalSend a Private Message to domesticgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

hmm....Thats what I figured, but I took my car to a stereo install shop anyways.

Great, so now I know I paid 60 bucks to have some guy knock out a little plastic piece. haha.
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the replys. I have a few good ideas working in my head.
1984_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984_fieroSend a Private Message to 1984_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is what i custom made .....i decided that i wanted to keep the stock look so i moved it to here .....(guess where it is)
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

i put the most noticable one at the bottum -daniel

[This message has been edited by 1984_fiero (edited 02-11-2007).]

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1984_fiero:

here is what i custom made .....i decided that i wanted to keep the stock look so i moved it to here .....(guess where it is)

i put the most noticable one at the bottum -daniel

So what is in the orginal location?

1984_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984_fieroSend a Private Message to 1984_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the stock radio is in the original location ......what is your openion on the location of my cd player?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

White GT !??

Hmmm any ski-time like mods happening to this one ??
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1984_fiero:

the stock radio is in the original location ......what is your openion on the location of my cd player?

unique and different...I however feel that it would be awkward to use in the location, especially while driving (you also lose some of the precious storage space inside of the car). On a plus side - the low lifes would never expect it to be located there (unless they look there after breaking in).
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have any pics of the cheaper install kits?
eg http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBay...0040786147&rd=1&rd=1
I dont want to spend that much.
PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by swisscheese:

Its illuminated! You can have it in red or blue.

And green. I have this same plate but I had them make mine to light up in Green.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JimmyS

4666 posts
Member since Apr 2006

Originally posted by Torquenstein:

If you notice in this pic. The red light shines between the faceplate and the radio. If you do not like the way it shines there, all you have to do is use a piece of Black Tape on the bottom edge of the faceplate where the housing is for the lights.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 327
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2007 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok here is a suggestion for you Dave and one that will probably go best with your fussiness.
Modify an original non 88 face plate by plastic welding the stereo hole flush.
Then cut the right size hole in the new face plate. Maybe even a hole for an afternarket dash pocket as well.
Then smooth the new face plate with plastic filler and get it nice and flush.
Send the original 88 face plate (with dot matrix) to a photo imaging company that specialising in automotive stuff.
They will be able to match the dot matrix and photo-image the new modified piece as a dot matrix one that looks original.

You will then have an aftermarket stereo that looks like it is really meant to be there from the factory.

These guys in Australia do that type of work. I am sure others in the USA do to.
http://dashboarddoctor.com.au/custom.html

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 07-06-2007).]

88 Obsession

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2007 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 ObsessionSend a Private Message to 88 ObsessionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no idea how you guys are getting your HU's to fit flush! I'm hitting the duct work and a whole bunch of wires so I can't get my unit flush. I have a Apline 9820 CDA. I had it installed and the installer showed me all the stuff that was in the way. I'm at a loss....................
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to take out the old radios rear support bracket to get the new unit to sit flush. I is held in by two rivets. Just pop them out and you will be set.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
85 Fiero GT
86 Fiero GT
88 Formula T-Top C+C # 1239 of 1252, Build Digit 26,224 of 26,402
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2008 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TD37:

I've got one from humount.com as well. I love it! It is great. He made this one custom and will do it for anyone. It was done pretty quick and he sent me a picture before he shipped it so I knew what I was getting. Hook up is very simple and it looks sick.

-Tim

TD37, How close is the brushed steel Humount in person to the "brushed steel" design of the Fiero HVAC surround?
In the pictures (with the flash) it looks totally different. - Is it the same in person?
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2008 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

Also the plastic skeletal structure of my center counsil has some cracks and broken parts, i have looked through the boneyards and they are all in worse shape then what i have, so right now the only thing that holds my radio in is the trim piece arround the vents. Are the counsil skeletal structures sold anywhere? Could i just use the trim arround the vents to hold the flushmount radio plate in like its holding the aftermarket adapter that holds the radio in now? It makes me mad that the person that owned my car before me was careless with the radio install on a piece that is so hard to come by!! Thanks.

The console skeleton is notorious for cracking. As far as I know, nobody makes a replacement. I wish they did. I'd buy one or two and I don't even own a Fiero currently. It's tough to find one in decent shape although they're out there. Don't be mad at the previous owner. These things just become brittle over time. I've had 4 Fieros and all of them had a center skeleton in less than perfect condition. As a matter of fact, I've broken a few myself and I'm very gentle on cars.

As far as using the trim panel to mount the stereo...I kind of doubt it. It's not really that strong. You would have to plastic weld a piece in place to fit the aftermarket stereo which would make it that much weaker.
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2008 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Canadian Tire Version , painted in outerbody color .

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TD37, which Pioneer stereo do you have?

I think we have a pretty similar model. (can't tell exactly from the pics.)
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock