Should I? by railshot
Started on: 09-01-2016 08:45 PM
Replies: 15 (406 views)
Last post by: railshot on 09-03-2016 09:51 AM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2016 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always wanted a blue '87 GT since 1987!

Should I?

http://chicago.craigslist.o.../cto/5710206930.html
I have not contacted the poster yet, looking for input.... Yeah, I have my '88 GT (and it is a very rare non CJB T-top... rarer than those darn CJB T-tops, of which I only know of 3 non CJB ones ), but this was and always will be what I wanted.

I would love to have bought johnyrottin's, ( //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/073962.html ) but.... a bit too nice for me, and to be honest, out of my price range at the time!
Nothing more special to me than an original blue '87 GT.... very nice car johnyrottin....

Price seem fair?
What should I offer?

Should I just go back up north to the farm, and family that may be able to help me, and hibernate until this Fiero "thing" passes?
Yes, I have a certificate designating this as a disease.... now if only the government would recognize it.

And, I really thought that when we all hit 60 years old, we were issued Corvettes judging by the people I see driving them... where is mine?

Hehhehhhehe....
If nothing else, a post bringing this to the attention of those that may want one..... yes, I am considering it seriously.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2016 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think its overpriced

Maybe offer him a thousand if you have to have it.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2016 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:

I think its overpriced

Maybe offer him a thousand if you have to have it.

Thanks for the input.
I was thinking around the same range or so, and yes, a blue '87 is my true endpoint eventually.
Anyone else have any input?

I would almost trade my '88 T-top for a blue '87 automatic in nice shape!
Edited to add the above 9-1-2016.....

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 09-01-2016).]

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2016 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unmolested, seats look good, and no taillight issues? Awfully hard to pass up. Only bad stuff is the auto tranny and no sunroof (I have an 86 gt hardtop, and an 87 blue gt sunroof, there are times I enjoy the hardtop better, but will be swapping the roof out soon anyway). I don't see much buyer's remorse even at that price, though I would probably try to offer $1500. The tails are worth a third of that in the first place.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2016 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Unmolested, seats look good, and no taillight issues? Awfully hard to pass up. Only bad stuff is the auto tranny and no sunroof (I have an 86 gt hardtop, and an 87 blue gt sunroof, there are times I enjoy the hardtop better, but will be swapping the roof out soon anyway). I don't see much buyer's remorse even at that price, though I would probably try to offer $1500. The tails are worth a third of that in the first place.

So true, but my left knee and Achilles tendon say automatics only from here on out.
Being a real blue '87 GT is what has me interested more than anything.

There is a guy near me in Milwaukee with parts from a fastback, tail lights, deck lid, spoiler, etc. that is asking @1000.00 for everything!

http://milwaukee.craigslist.../pts/5732410430.html

I have to get together with Rodney about this tail light thing soon, or make a move of my own!
No sense wasting 40 years of injection molding experience eh?

Initial cost is quite prohibitive to reproduce the lenses for the GT, but who knows..... I do have the contacts.
I know actual demand will be small, but my passion is still with the GT's, and of course, the Formula's from '88.
Believe it or not, I still prefer the Formula over the GT.

So tempted to buy it all from the guy in Milwaukee just for the tail lights for my '88 GT!
They look almost perfect.
He will not separate.
Sad, but true..... I really hope someone buys these before I do.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All in all, I am fond of 87 blues and really hope this car goes to someone who understands the way I feel about them. I'd hate to see it hacked (my 87 blue is now a deeper metallic blue, thanks to the previous owner ). To me, this car is worth the asking price even if it does need a paint job. I'm one of those guys who does swaps, realizes the money involved, and appreciates an all-original car in the end. You seem like a Pennock's fella that won't let a car like this get ruined. So I compel you to try. This is the car that will go up in value only second to T-top cars, and I feel it's a sound investment, if nothing else. Trans ams from 1987 had a similar situation. It was the ONLY year you could get a Carmine red interior with the ultra-new stylish GTA door panels. These will start picking up like TTA's from '89, and real soon.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All in all, I am fond of 87 blues and really hope this car goes to someone who understands the way I feel about them. I'd hate to see it hacked (my 87 blue is now a deeper metallic blue, thanks to the previous owner ). To me, this car is worth the asking price even if it does need a paint job. I'm one of those guys who does swaps, realizes the money involved, and appreciates an all-original car in the end. You seem like a Pennock's fella that won't let a car like this get ruined. So I compel you to try. This is the car that will go up in value only second to T-top cars, and I feel it's a sound investment, if nothing else. Trans ams from 1987 had a similar situation. It was the ONLY year you could get a Carmine red interior with the ultra-new stylish GTA door panels. These will start picking up like TTA's from '89, and real soon.

Well I just emailed the person and before I do any offering I would like to see some pics of the under side of it.
I really am an all original kind of guy, down to the point where when I take something apart, I try to put the bolts and screws I took out back in the place they originally came from... ocd? lol

Looking at the trunk pictures I do see some rust on the drivers side, and that is a pretty good indication around here that things are worse underneath.
Fingers crossed......
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

I really am an all original kind of guy, down to the point where when I take something apart,
I try to put the bolts and screws I took out back in the place they originally came from... ocd? lol

A little....

I'll make sure I use the original oil pan bolts to reattach the oil pan, but not necessarily in their original holes.

Good luck in finding the car you want.

Other blue Fieros

http://www.reachoo.com/ads/79277021
http://www.autozin.com/1987...al&trmsource=lclfeed

More: http://claz.org/classifieds/vehicles/cars?q=fiero

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-02-2016).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

A little....

I'll make sure I use the original oil pan bolts to reattach the oil pan, but not necessarily in their original holes.

Good luck in finding the car you want.

Other blue Fieros

http://www.reachoo.com/ads/79277021

More: http://claz.org/classifieds/vehicles/cars?q=fiero

Thanks fierosound for the links.. the 2nd one really has my interest even though it is a 5 speed!
It looks like a respray, but if it was originally blue, I would probably have it redone anyways.
I do miss shifting...... just messaged them about it!

LOL, the ocd part actually goes back to when I first started playing around repairing older laptops.
Nobody wanted to work on them, so I got them very cheap, and learned the hard way that not all of the screws were the same length.. so I burned up the very first one by having a screw that was too long hit a power supply connection...... yikes!

Now it is just a force of habit to lay things out the way they came apart... actually not that bad of an idea for anything.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With all the issues - Ac is warm, headlight, paint, tires, rust in the trunk on drivers side, etc

I would offer him $1000, but definitely wouldn't pay more than 1250

Good luck
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

With all the issues - Ac is warm, headlight, paint, tires, rust in the trunk on drivers side, etc

I would offer him $1000, but definitely wouldn't pay more than 1250

Good luck

I would, but look at these pics of the undercarriage....... headlights, done that already, a/c..... another task I have been through recently.... heck, I just spent the day today at a bone yard picking out Pontiac radios.... 3 to be exact..... lol, this is fun, like someone said, the tail lights alone are worth 1/3 of the cost of the car.
I am serious about this and am persuing this like no other GT previously.

I am finding out '88 parts are rare and hard to find, so this is a much easier project for me.
I really do not mind the cost of the '88 parts, it is just the finding them that is out there.
Proper exhaust, brakes, tie rod ends, etc. all one off......

Edited 9/3/2016 to remove stupid beer induced talk about selling mine.

I just may have a Blue '87 GT in the garage soon!

Edited 9/3/2016 to remove stupid beer induced talk about selling mine, that is not going to happen!.

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 09-03-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, talk about a motivated seller! In reality, 95% of our cars all need some work here and there. So I go into a fiero purchase expecting brake issues, headlight problems, etc. However, this particular car's biggest issue seems to be clear coat. Hit the underbody with aerated ATF and leave it be. Hope it goes to a loving home like yours!!
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... looks like the RH tie rod end locknut is about a nut thickness away from the ball joint.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, talk about a motivated seller! In reality, 95% of our cars all need some work here and there. So I go into a fiero purchase expecting brake issues, headlight problems, etc. However, this particular car's biggest issue seems to be clear coat. Hit the underbody with aerated ATF and leave it be. Hope it goes to a loving home like yours!!

I hope so too..... I have entered the negotiation stage somewhat this morning.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it was me, I would pass on the car unless you wanted to buy it just for parts. The inner trunk rust holes are always better on the inside of the trunk than viewed from the outside rail section, so you will have to pull the rear section at some time and do some significant rust repair. There are also other things that just raise some concern as well.

Tie rod jam nut out of place - this is more of an indication that when work was done, it wasn't done with a high degree of precision. What other nuts/bolts were left loose?

Missing one of the front stabilizing supports - same comment from above... :

Orange oil pan... engine has been out at some time.

Then the lift points being used on the chassis just make me cringe, as do the multiple locations of kinked coolant tubes in the pics above...

From the pics on craigslist...
Portions of the car have been repainted - over blue over spray on the mounting bracket for the decklid vents and on truck seal... again more of an indicator of the precision of the work.
Black rear spoiler... another sign of repainting.
Broken ground effect piece at DS rear wheel... it is in an odd place...

So for me when I review this car, lots of things are telling me that it will potentially have more headaches than I want to deal with. Tally up the estimated cost/time to fix them, add that to the purchase price, then shop for a better condition one at that price point. If you find one you will be time and $$$ ahead.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 09-03-2016).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

If it was me, I would pass on the car unless you wanted to buy it just for parts. The inner trunk rust holes are always better on the inside of the trunk than viewed from the outside rail section, so you will have to pull the rear section at some time and do some significant rust repair. There are also other things that just raise some concern as well.

Tie rod jam nut out of place - this is more of an indication that when work was done, it wasn't done with a high degree of precision. What other nuts/bolts were left loose?

Missing one of the front stabilizing supports - same comment from above... :

Orange oil pan... engine has been out at some time:

Then the lift points being used on the chassis just make me cringe...

From the pics on craigslist...
Portions of the car have been repainted - over blue over spray on the mounting bracket for the decklid vents and on truck seal... again more of an indicator of the precision of the work.
Black rear spoiler... another sign of repainting.
Broken ground effect piece at DS rear wheel... it is in an odd place...

So for me when I review this car, lots of things are telling me that it will potentially have more headaches than I want to deal with. Tally up the estimated cost/time to fix them, add that to the purchase price, then shop for a better condition one at that price point. If you find one you will be time and $$$ ahead.

All very good points fieroguru, and I am taking that into consideration with my negotiations.

There is just something about an unloved and abandoned Fiero I cannot pass up.
The time part is why I am buying a couple of Fiero's now, I will have a lot of that in the near future, and am getting things ready to fill that time.

My last two Formula's started out similar to this, and when I was finished with them they were nice drivers at least.... it is a passion with me.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock