Fiero parts value going down by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 08-26-2016 11:11 AM
Replies: 30 (752 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 09-02-2016 07:19 PM
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are parts not worth much of anything anymore? I've been trying to sell my 87 GT body (front & rear bumper covers, fastback clip and deck lid + extras) for about a year now and as soon as I say $200 POOF! I never hear from them again. Am I asking too much? The last person I even said I'd throw in some fenders and possibly a hood but still they never got back to me. I think I paid 100 for my Formula bumper cover a couple years ago and it needed work. IMO the front GT bumper cover is worth close to the 200 as it's perfect. Just needs to be sanded and painted like the rest of the parts. I'm not looking to get rich but am not giving them away either.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not from what I have seen. You may need to ship things though. Larger stuff is usually harder to sell. The market is always small for a car as unique as this.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I threw out a bunch of body parts. No value unless you are close to someone. I couldn't even sell a complete T top kit.
Buck531

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Buck531Send a Private Message to Buck531Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I paid $40 for my GT bumper that had cracked pain on it. Hit it with my palm sander with 80 grit and threw a few coats of primer on it.

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know someone that needs a GT bumper. Will point them to this thread.
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think there is a change in demand.

I've been around Fiero's since the late 90's back in the day the cars were everywhere and everyone wanted a fastback or aero bumper to put on their coupes. An Aero car in a junk yard was a hot commodity and would be stripped right away.

All of those cars are gone now and very few people are left with cars they want to tinker with to that extent. Much of the owners who have stuck around are older and appreciate the coupes and the fastback as they are.. and much of the current owners like myself are long time owners who've accumulated parts over the years and who already have spare bumpers, hoods and fenders. We would also probably prefer spending $500 on a whole parts car then $200 on a fastback swap that probably won't be easy to ship.

I very rarely buy used parts from classifieds as private sellers seem to think their parts are worth more than they actually are. Sometimes you don't have a choice though. These cars are at an age where they aren't people's first cars anymore and if something breaks they can shop around and get a good price because they tend to linger untouched in the junk yards for months and parts cars are still easily found.

None the less I think $200 is a good price for your kit, I think it's just the sheer size of the parts that is probably the issue. You will need to find someone with a truck and trailer who wants to travel or is local to pick all of that stuff up.

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 08-26-2016).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
I couldn't even sell a complete T top kit.

When were you selling this? Of course you would have to ship...

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

I know someone that needs a GT bumper. Will point them to this thread.

Yep its usually about advertising /visibility, and then willingness to ship, or buyer to travel.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Few years back. Wasn't going to ship. Sold off the parts and scrapped the frame.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:
We would also probably prefer spending $500 on a whole parts car then $200 on a fastback swap that probably won't be easy to ship.

I tried to sell the whole thing and nobody was interested. Even tried to give the roller away for nothing because it was rust free but couldn't do that either. Finally got tired of it being in the way and junked it. Forgot to pull the gas tank though DOOH!

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:
I think there is a change in demand.
Much of the owners who have stuck around are older and appreciate the coupes and the fastback as they are..

I agree. I've got a Formula and a 88 Base coup and would never think of putting the rear clip on either. And since nobody wants to pay for the parts themselves then I can only imagine adding shipping to the cost would make them too much to bother with. Guess I should have left the parts on the car, scrapped it all and been done with it. Nothing a saws-all and a 6 pack cant fix!
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a big demand on parts used.

Now for some selected NOS parts you can get some real good money.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Myself I don't understsnd throwing parts away. List and relist on craigslist, its free. Even if its 3 years later someone will probably buy. I've sold stuff that way.

Stuff like clips and panels, well usually a person has to wreck theuir car to need them, or want a panel to mod, you never know when that kind of thing will happen.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-26-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Years back Fiero's were popular with young people who wanted something sporty looking at a low price. That generation remembered when Pontiac's were still being sold and had some familiarity with the mid engine Pontiac Fiero. There was loads of activity, good demand for parts and the fix em up hobby was going strong. Today the only used parts that will sell are for repair of existing cars. . The young people today migrate more towards the imports. The OP is correct in that demand for used Fiero parts has gone away. The only parts worth a few bucks are the Fiero GT tail lights, the 4 and 5 speed transmissions and T top parts. The body parts are " a dime a dozen" . You can even buy a GT front nose facia for $50-$100 and wings for even less. Good times if you are a Fiero owner.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It all depends on your location and how many Fiero enthusiasts are around you. It all comes down to supply and demand, especially since they are larger parts. You are asking $200 for everything you listed? That sounds like a steal to me. I just bought a rear clip from someone and had to drive around 100 miles each way to pick it up, and I could really use a GT front bumper so I don't have to mess with filling the gouges on the one I have. I paid $130 for just the fastback clip shell, but it was the only one I could find reasonably close at the time.

I know I have a bunch of parts stashed in my garage that I have listed for sale numerous times with no bites, I have no use for them but they are too nice to just throw away and I know someone could use them, but I would really like them gone.
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

It all depends on your location and how many Fiero enthusiasts are around you. It all comes down to supply and demand, especially since they are larger parts. You are asking $200 for everything you listed? That sounds like a steal to me. I just bought a rear clip from someone and had to drive around 100 miles each way to pick it up, and I could really use a GT front bumper so I don't have to mess with filling the gouges on the one I have. I paid $130 for just the fastback clip shell, but it was the only one I could find reasonably close at the time.

I know I have a bunch of parts stashed in my garage that I have listed for sale numerous times with no bites, I have no use for them but they are too nice to just throw away and I know someone could use them, but I would really like them gone.

PM me if you need a front bumper. I have one that is reconditioned and like new. BACK ON TOPIC
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They take up space and if left outside, they degrade. I knew a junkyard that had hundreds of take off body parts from a kit car company. Most of the panels were left outside and over time they were deformed by snow, ice and the sun. Useless parts now. Prices were always too high, so they sat on them. I needed the space. Ii offered them for free..... no takers. I cut and tossed.

Originally posted by 2.5:

Myself I don't understsnd throwing parts away. List and relist on craigslist, its free. Even if its 3 years later someone will probably buy. I've sold stuff that way.

Stuff like clips and panels, well usually a person has to wreck theuir car to need them, or want a panel to mod, you never know when that kind of thing will happen.

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2016 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't give away a good 2.8, good 3.1 (or 3.4, I don't remember), a huge amount of other motor and body parts. I finally gave away a good Formula (missing a few parts I needed). The only part I have left is a good set of notchback tail lights only because they're in really good condition. I'd give those away if someone came to pick them up. I work nights and sleep days so getting to the post office/FedEx/UPS is difficult which is one of the reasons why I don't ship stuff.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2016 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

You've proved my point. The demand is just not there. Fiero Jon has about 12 parts cars that have been sitting there for years. At one time, he made his living off selling Fiero parts. Now it just a small sideline for him. The restoration craze is largely over. We are now in the maintenance and repair phase

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2016 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my opinion the market for these cars is just heating up. Until now they were just considered affordable used cars. The 80s car market is beginning to grow.
But the fact that parts don't sell right away, especially if priced too high for the area, not listed long enough, or in the right places, doesn't change. Some people list a part for $300 for 3 months, then tell 3 people they are tired of it laying around and 0are giving it away free, a week later they dispose of it.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2016 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Restoration people want like-new parts. There isn't a whole lot of new parts for the Fiero (OEM). Come on... can't even get taillights, seat covers, floor mats etc... the parts that wear out are not easy to replace with new. I am talking restoration quality parts.

Fiero people are cheap, just like Corvairs... these cars will not demand high prices and neither will their used parts. There are still too many old fieros laying around for parts.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2016 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Restoration people want like-new parts. There isn't a whole lot of new parts for the Fiero (OEM). Come on... can't even get taillights, seat covers, floor mats etc... the parts that wear out are not easy to replace with new. I am talking restoration quality parts.

Fiero people are cheap, just like Corvairs... these cars will not demand high prices and neither will their used parts. There are still too many old fieros laying around for parts.

But your point seemed to be people don't buy those parts. I would think not having new available means they will. Yes the owners are cheap, because the cars are cheap, that's why many of the owners have the car.
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2016 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it am restoring a fiero, why would I buy someone's used, scratched denominated taillights when I already have a set?

But your point seemed to be people don't buy those parts. I would think not having new available means they will. Yes the owners are cheap, because the cars are cheap, that's why many of the owners have the car.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2016 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much getting off topic it seems.
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2016 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If it am restoring a fiero, why would I buy someone's used, scratched denominated taillights when I already have a set?

Everyone has different standards of what they consider "restored" or what is an acceptable part, and it sometimes depends on the condition of the part that is being replaced. If your tail light has a giant hole in the lens then a slightly scratched one doesn't look too bad anymore does it? Also I have talked to people who consider their cars "finished" or "show cars"and thought to myself really? That is what makes me leary of buying a sight unseen part, it could be described as good condition, but the buyer may have different standards than the seller. I know I've bought a couple parts that were supposed to be in good condition and been very disappointed, thinking this is worse than the one I already had.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2016 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Off topic? Not at all.... I have sold MANY fiero parts over the years and prices for used have gone down. NOS have increased. It isn't worth buying and parting out a fiero anymore, unless it was a really nice fiero.

Pretty much getting off topic it seems.

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2016 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been listing and relisting for a year now and no takers. And yes, all for $200 OBO. The bumper covers I'll probably keep but the rear clip & deck lid are going to go away one way or the other. As mentioned before, these take up space inside the garage and go to **** outside.
Edit, here's one of the original posts from over a year ago...https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/072211.html

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 08-30-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2016 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

I've been listing and relisting for a year now and no takers. And yes, all for $200 OBO. The bumper covers I'll probably keep but the rear clip & deck lid are going to go away one way or the other. As mentioned before, these take up space inside the garage and go to **** outside.
Edit, here's one of the original posts from over a year ago...https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/072211.html

It's a good deal at that price. Where else is it listed besides PFF?
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2016 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I only have so much space to store the stuff - after a few years and no one wants it then I just toss it. Of course there is always that person in the local group that wants it after I tossed it, but you know what you had your chance.

I pretty much only have space for the spares I need for myself, never mind everyone else.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 08-30-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

I only have so much space to store the stuff - after a few years and no one wants it then I just toss it. Of course there is always that person in the local group that wants it after I tossed it, but you know what you had your chance.

That's my point, if only 10 people hear about it, only 10 people had their chance.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on the part. Sure a fender is a dime a dozen, but try getting 88 parts like suspension, beechwood interior, seat covers, etc.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds like a deal to me. its all about timing and location. way too much $$$ to ship all that, you need a local buyer.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock