86 fiero parts fit 87 fiero gt??? by adm927
Started on: 08-22-2016 01:29 AM
Replies: 8 (278 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 08-22-2016 05:07 PM
adm927

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2016 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking at possibly getting an 86 v6 parts car and a 1987 gt fiero that needs an engine and a drivers side door. I will want to put the door from the 86 on the 87 gt. Will it fit? I also intend to use the engine from the 86.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2016 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't go just by what I say... but my opinion is that you're good to go. I suspect that anyone else who chimes in will agree.
Fastfiero1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2016 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastfiero1Send a Private Message to Fastfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your best bet is to look carefully at the 86. If the 86 is a GT, I know there were some late built ones that were basically early 87's. The easiest way to tell if it is a GT car is whether it is a 4 or 5 speed (if it is a manual) or to look at the headlight motors. if the motors are like the 87 then it is a late build and pretty much identical, if the motors look different then it is an early 86 and more like an 85. Also there were some changes to the 2.8, you can spot the early ones by having a "Fiero" sticker on the top plenum (if that is still original for the car). The late ones should have the word "Fiero" actually engraved into the metal like on the 87.

As far as the doors I don't think it matters other than making sure the guts are identical otherwise you will be swapping internals. For the engine, early and late have some slight differences but I do not know all of them specifically.

------------------
Fiero's Owned:

1987 Coupe 2.5 5spd May 99 - June 03
1987 GT V6 5spd July 30 2012 - Current

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2016 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will be fine.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2016 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastfiero1:

As far as the doors I don't think it matters other than making sure the guts are identical otherwise you will be swapping internals.

Door swaps are pretty much universal. I put an '84 door on my '88 and the everything was a match including the wiring harness connectors for the power windows/locks and the power mirrors.

The only difference I am aware of is the '84 doors require use of an '84 outer door panel since the method of attachment along the top is different from the later years.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2016 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...if the motors look different then it is an early 86 and more like an 85. Also there were some changes to the 2.8, you can spot the early ones by having a "Fiero" sticker on the top plenum (if that is still original for the car). The late ones should have the word "Fiero" actually engraved into the metal like on the 87.

But does it make any difference with swapping the engines? I don't think so.
adm927

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2016 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the good info folks!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2016 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engines are the same. There are some attachment differences between manual and automatics, like flywheel/flexplate, coolant crossover pipe, heater bypass nipple that screws into the water pump, and engine wiring harness.

Manual uses a flywheel, automatic uses a flexplate. The 86 chassis utilizes a pipe nipple that screws into the water pump for the heater bypass hose. The 87 has a pipe plug in it's place. Plug and nipple are interchangeable because the pump is the same. Automatic and manual equipped coolant crossover pipes were different. Use the appropriate one for your engine.

While the engine is out, replace the exhaust manifold studs with the Saturn exhaust manifold studs. Just for future ease.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2016 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12810 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Your best bet is to look carefully at the 86. If the 86 is a GT, I know there were some late built ones that were basically early 87's. The easiest way to tell if it is a GT car is whether it is a 4 or 5 speed (if it is a manual) or to look at the headlight motors. if the motors are like the 87 then it is a late build and pretty much identical, if the motors look different then it is an early 86 and more like an 85. Also there were some changes to the 2.8, you can spot the early ones by having a "Fiero" sticker on the top plenum (if that is still original for the car). The late ones should have the word "Fiero" actually engraved into the metal like on the 87.

As far as the doors I don't think it matters other than making sure the guts are identical otherwise you will be swapping internals. For the engine, early and late have some slight differences but I do not know all of them specifically.

All 86 and up GT's were fastback design. Early 86GT's were available with 4-speeds. Late 86GT's had 5-speeds. If it has the old style headlamps with relays mounted on the side of the headlight mechanism, it's an 86. No exceptions. The 2-wire second generation motors did not appear until the 87 model production year. This applies to the 86 and 87SE V6 Notchbacks, too.

Virtually everything on a Fiero is interchangeable across all model years. I said Virtually, not Universally. There are a few exceptions, mostly applying to the 84 and 88 model years.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock