Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  getting ready to buy a Fiero GT, what year is best??

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
getting ready to buy a Fiero GT, what year is best?? by adm927
Started on: 08-18-2016 11:01 AM
Replies: 10 (237 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 08-18-2016 12:57 PM
adm927

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am getting ready to buy a fiero gt. I was wondering if any 1 year is better than any other? I am partial to the 87 and 88 years but open to all. So please give me your thoughts? Also besides preference which is better automatic or stick shift? I prefer stick but I have a line on a decent automatic.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85 GT with 4 speed manual or 88 GT with 5 speed manual are the two best GTs.

The 85 due to build quality, performance and only GT with notchback body.
88 GT due to improved brakes and suspension design, even though it's one of those ugly fastbacks. 😉
adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I like the ugly fastback style better. lol
Raymac85

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Raymac85Send a Private Message to Raymac85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The late 86 and 87 GT to my opinion is best. That's when the 5 speed was introduced and the fastback is a head turner. The 88 GT had the new suspension but due too only one year of it there is more aftermarket for the prior suspension. Also get a manual. The automatic transmission Is junk. It's very weak. When you start looking for a GT. Make sure it has decent tail lights. It's getting very very hard to find them in decent shape.

------------------
85 SE v6
86 GT 4.5l v8

InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you plan to heavily mod, suspension/brake wise, the '85 -'87, if you want to restore or only mildy mod I'd look for an '88.
Easy8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get an 87 if you can find one. Has all the motor fixes the 88 has but not the hard to get 88 parts. Manuals are best but the auto will work. The thing to watch for is the tail lights and the 1/4 windows. They are hard to get or very expensive.
adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can get an 87 gt rite now that is very cheap. It runs and drives but the block is cracked and the guy has sealer in it. But the car is complete and I can get it for 300$. however the tail light section is broken. All original other than that. May be a good parts car.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Easy8:

Get an 87 if you can find one. Has all the motor fixes the 88 has but not the hard to get 88 parts. Manuals are best but the auto will work. The thing to watch for is the tail lights and the 1/4 windows. They are hard to get or very expensive.

This is not correct, the V-6 engine upgrade ( internally balanced, lighter pistons) occurred in 1988.

Perhaps you were thinking of the upgrade to DIS that occurred in 1987 to the Duke?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy the best you can afford... 86-88 GTs all look the same (fastback). 88s have updated suspension, brakes and minor engine internal differences.

If you are not familiar with Fieros, I would recommend you not buy something that needs work. A cracked block means replacing engine... sealer will not work... $2K on up, less for used if you can find.

If you want the same level of performance, get an 85 SE (V6), 85GT, 86-87SE (V6) or 88 Formula. These are all notchbacks with V6s (some had 4cyl, so be careful when looking). The only real difference in the fastback and notchback is the extra weight the fastback has Well... and the rear design. Chassis and drivetrain is the same.
adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really want a gt fastback design. I am familiar with these cars. I am a mechanic, and I cut my teeth on some of these back in the day. Always liked them. I do plan on doing some upgrades, and mods in the future. But I do want a driver.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by adm927:

I really want a gt fastback design. I am familiar with these cars. I am a mechanic, and I cut my teeth on some of these back in the day. Always liked them. I do plan on doing some upgrades, and mods in the future. But I do want a driver.

Then sky is the limit... 88s have upgrade suspension and brakes (harder to find also).
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock