Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What is behind the drivers side B pillar panel?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What is behind the drivers side B pillar panel? by railshot
Started on: 08-16-2016 06:58 PM
Replies: 15 (457 views)
Last post by: railshot on 08-17-2016 01:05 PM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This seems a little to dumb to post in technical section, so here goes.
Never had a B pillar panel off, so maybe not that dumb......

88 GT, automatic.....

Reason I ask, is that I have been chasing a knock / thump, just behind my head, when going over relatively large bumps in the road.
Almost like a rattle, but a bit heavier.
Thought I had it today with a very loose air filter housing, but that was not it.

Anyone with pictures of what all is back there that could possibly be loose?

I do plan on taking it off and replacing the speakers soon, but I am really curious as to what all could be in there knocking to get in or out?

Much appreciated,
railshot
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel door cable? It might be loose and banging around.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ARKaiser:

Fuel door cable? It might be loose and banging around.

Thanks ARKaiser for the reply, but this just sounds a little heavier than that.
I was really excited when I found the air filter housing not mounted properly today, as that is about the "weight" it sounded.

Anything else back there in that area?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not much their or near by...
Seat Belt retractor and guides and bolts to attach all.
Handle for gas cover
Speakers
part(s) of rear clip
"Bolt" for door latch.
plastic vent "screen" near bottom of B pillar

Near by...
Air "muffler"/water trap for engine has 1 bolt but made of plastic.
V6 air cleaner
EVAP can
Front mount of cradle
Gas fill pipe and hardware

load noise could be loose door latch or seat belt.
SB retractor only attach by 1 bolt. Most SB bolts are T50.

Could be in engine bay and just hear it on B pillar.
or frame has problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

not much their or near by...
Seat Belt retractor and guides and bolts to attach all.
Handle for gas cover
Speakers
part(s) of rear clip
"Bolt" for door latch.
plastic vent "screen" near bottom of B pillar

Near by...
Air "muffler"/water trap for engine has 1 bolt but made of plastic.
V6 air cleaner
EVAP can
Front mount of cradle
Gas fill pipe and hardware

load noise could be loose door latch or seat belt.
SB retractor only attach by 1 bolt. Most SB bolts are T50.

Could be in engine bay and just hear it on B pillar.
or frame has problems.

Much appreciated theogre.
Guess I will have to dig into it this Saturday to see.

I really could not visualize much being in that area on the interior, that is why I was looking at the engine bay today and found the air filter base not locked into the frame, but the bottom tab just dangling on the outside of the frame.

Time to shop for speakers and start taking it all apart.
It would be a hoot if my speaker was loose!
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The door latch "bolt" (striker) at the rear of the door is a common thing if you have a higher milage fiero or just
the striker bolt is now undersized due to wear. Realistically, the door is hopping up and down over bumps making
a heavy thumping noise. I replaced my door hinge bolt with a bigger diameter bolt. Its Help ! # 38421.

I installed this upgraded striker bolt, and the noise is gone. It lifts the door up a bit so you don't have the "thumping"
noise from big street bumps.

I will be doing this upgrade to my other 88GT soon.

Hope this helps...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks fierogt28 for those numbers. You saved me a search.
I was reading about this fix for the doors in some older posts, and it is on my Saturday to do list for both sides.
Could be the cure!

While I am at it, I will be taking the drivers side door apart to do the other dew wipe, passenger side is done already, and fix the loose exterior door handle.

At least I know what that noise is.... now, the t-tops are a whole nother ball game with rattles.

Worst comes to worst, I will purchase all new seals for them if I can find them.

Ah, the pleasures of owning a one off 28 year old car.

Anyone have any replacement speaker suggestions?
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bit the bullet and bought the fiero store's door panels with speakers, and their rear wall speaker panel. Having replaced the stock speakers once already, this option gives you easy access for future speaker options and replacement. Something worth considering, as the B pillar speakers are pretty disappointing anyway. Not to mention I never need to remove my dash speaker grilles and risk cracking a good dash.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about your specific noises, but my fastback clip was transplanted onto what used to be a notchback car.
It creaks and thumps as the car moves and flexes.

Since the T-tops theoretically compromise the roof section, perhaps the noise is part of that structure. (Perhaps where the T-frame is riveted in?)
Does it do it with the T-tops removed? Maybe it's just the glass bumping against the opening.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

Thanks fierogt28 for those numbers. You saved me a search.
I was reading about this fix for the doors in some older posts, and it is on my Saturday to do list for both sides.
Could be the cure!

While I am at it, I will be taking the drivers side door apart to do the other dew wipe, passenger side is done already, and fix the loose exterior door handle.

At least I know what that noise is.... now, the t-tops are a whole nother ball game with rattles.

Worst comes to worst, I will purchase all new seals for them if I can find them.

Ah, the pleasures of owning a one off 28 year old car.

Anyone have any replacement speaker suggestions?

Ohh, just 2 things...
The door striker bolts are originally for a Ford. You'll need to pull off the plastic sleeve that is on the bolt.

And 2nd, you'll also need to adjust up and down the striker bolt on the mounting hole for perfect functional fit.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look underneath at the water rail support bracket. A rusted or broken support can allow the end of the rail to bump the underside. Is the fuel filler tube solidly mounted?

Is the bump coming from upper, middle or lower part of the car?
PFF
System Bot
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Look underneath at the water rail support bracket. A rusted or broken support can allow the end of the rail to bump the underside. Is the fuel filler tube solidly mounted?

Is the bump coming from upper, middle or lower part of the car?

Thanks fierofool,
The sound is almost directly behind my head and to the left.
Possibly the door, possibly anything as sound seems to get transferred easily with the space frame.
Very solid car with only minor surface rust, but I will be looking under it to see what I can see.

I really do not like working on a car someone else has had apart already, you never know what was and was not done.
I found the air filter mount loose as a goose, but that was not it.
Might just have to take everything off and put it all back on again to find the noises.......

Someone else has had the engine and transmission out, so who knows what was not bolted down properly.
Already found several missing screws in just what I could see!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe the roof panel slightly moving against the rear panel at the seam.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Door, subframe, exhaust, suspension, engine mount, rear side cover.... lots of things can cause rattles that transmit into the cabin
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sail panel inner trim piece, engine vent, loose speaker or oversise speaker that couldn't be properly secured.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK guys, you talked me into it!
I am just going to disassemble the whole dang car and put it back together again!

Hehehe!

Seriously, thanks for all the input!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock