It finally runs!!! by 2703adam
Started on: 08-13-2016 08:24 PM
Replies: 3 (180 views)
Last post by: tshark on 08-14-2016 07:56 AM
2703adam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2703adamSend a Private Message to 2703adamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, after owning my 88 gt for 4 years, I finally decided it was time to stop letting it sit and work on it. The previous owner was in an accident in 1998 and the car had not been run since. Since I've had it, I've done the following:

Repaired front end from the damage (involved cutting off the front two feet of the frame of a parts car and doing the same with my car, then welding it all back together on my car)
Replaced master and slave cylinders as well as the clutch line
Cleaned gas tank and put in a new sending unit and fuel pump assembly from the fiero store
New Egr tube, valve, housing
oil change (of course)
had injectors flow tested (all of them were 100% clogged) so they were cleaned and flow matched
New intake gaskets from having injectors out
couple of new vac. lines
new fuel filter
got some used tires on it so i can move it around
had to replace the ignition switch due to not having a key
new radiator tube and thermostat
Replaced the A/C blower

There are probably a few more things, but that's just a basic list as they just came to my head....

So last weekend I fired it up for the first time and it ran good!!! I even drove it around my yard some. I did notice that it's idling at about 1400 rpm, but I still have the IAT sensor disconnected, and possibly a vac leak somewhere, plus the intake tube and filter housing was still off....

This is my list of things left to do:
Brakes (they look good as far as the pads and rotors, and they currently work good, so I'm going to change the fluid and bleed it first and see how they are after that because the fluid looks nasty)
reconnect head lights (I have to solder a new plug on the wiring harness, but I picked one up from Pull a part last week and plan on doing that tomorrow)
I'm debating painting it while I still have all the front end body panels off, or just putting them back on and driving it like it is for a while (it needs paint bad)
New headliner and deep cleaning of interior
replace windshield washer arm (already have new one, also planning on doing it tomorrow)
new front windshield
new dew wipes/window weatherstripping? on both windows
eventually repair A/C (the belt is off of the compressor, so I assume it doesn't work, also, the lines were disconnected when I repaired the accident damage)
I kept the original plugs and wires just to see if it would run, so I may replace them too, but my car only has 65K miles on it, so we'll see
I also need to get a matching set of door locks and trunk lock with the keys (I had to drill out the trunk to get it open, and I never had keys to the doors)
I'll eventually need to find someone who has a GT front bumper with round molding that wants to trade with me. My bumper has the ribbed molding, so it doesn't match the rest of the car (it came off the parts car. my original bumper was not with it when I bought it)
Probably suspension bushings as well

This is not a comprehensive list, but it's a general idea. I'm not about to take the car on any long trips, so I'm sure I'll find little things come up that need to be fixed, like relays that are bad, etc, but it's more like a project log for myself.

Over all the car is in pretty good shape. The power windows, mirror, and trunk all work, I haven't tried the power locks yet... The interior is in really good shape, aside from just needing to be cleaned, but my long term goal would be to get Amida's interior kit for it. Really, that's about it. I'll keep updating this thread as I get more done to the car, but mostly so I can have a record of everything I've done. I'll try and get some pictures of the car maybe tomorrow, oh, and if anyone has any of the things I need from the to do list, I may be interested in purchasing some things, so PM me please.

Hope I didn't bore you!
-Adam

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have the aero front bumper, you can get the rounded arrow trim pieces from the Fiero Store.

Check your headlight module while the front is apart.

Any good locksmith can make you a new key from the locks--or re-key them for you. Personally, if I ever replace my locks, I'll upgrade them. The '80's keys weren't very good, IMO.

If you have the steering column out, treat the intermediate shaft for rust, and be sure to tighten those problem bolts for the column.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 08-13-2016).]

2703adam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2703adamSend a Private Message to 2703adamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot about the headlights, I rebuilt those already.

Yeah my Dad mentioned something when he was over about having the locks re-keyed. That would be great, then I'd only have to buy one new one for the deck lid.

On my bumper, it's like there is 2'' of ribbed molding made into the bumper just in front of the tire. I'll get a picture of it in the morning.

------------------
Check out some of the things I make

[This message has been edited by 2703adam (edited 08-14-2016).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There should be 2 speed nuts holding the arrow trim in place. Or maybe one each. I don't remember.

Not the headlights. The headlight module. It's in the driver wheel-well. If your headlights work great, just pick up a working module next chance you get.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 08-14-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock