Dawg's performance intakes by Dawg
Started on: 04-23-2010 05:28 PM
Replies: 54
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 03-21-2013 02:03 AM
Dawg

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DawgSend a Private Message to DawgDirect Link to This Post
boink

------------------
You Dream it Up -- I'll Build it

IP: Logged
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent
Dawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DawgSend a Private Message to DawgDirect Link to This Post
Got it

------------------

timgray

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dawg:

What can I say....I'm a multi talented guy.... Yes it is aluminum. Not easy to weld for sure.

Thanks for the compliment.

DG

Are they heat treated so the aluminum around the welds dont crack? I have never been ableto weld cast aluminum and have it not crack within a year of heat cycling and high vibration.

------------------

Best RV, Camper, and Trailer dealer in West Michigan. http://www.cliffstrailersales.com and he's a fiero owner too!

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 09-01-2010).]

Dawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DawgSend a Private Message to DawgDirect Link to This Post
I guess it depends on the situation. If the joint is under extreme stress then maybe. Stress relieving isn't needed for this situation. The "plug" only has to stay in place. Extremely stable. To be honest, I haven't had any problems with these manifolds.

That goes for any other cast parts also. Sure I've had some parts come back cracked at the gussets off and on over the years. But I'm not sure stress relieving would have helped. Could be wrong. Bottom line is it's not commonly done in my neck of the woods. No one wants to pay the added cost.

Besides, if you tried to stress relieve these manifolds you would warp them all to hell. I would have to remachine all the gasket surfaces.

Not going to happen.....

Originally posted by timgray:

Are they heat treated so the aluminum around the welds dont crack? I have never been ableto weld cast aluminum and have it not crack within a year of heat cycling and high vibration.

------------------

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

I did mine attached to the middle manifold and changing to opposite sides and do small sections at a time. If you do it this way when you installed it back you would not put stress on it or have to machine it.
Dawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DawgSend a Private Message to DawgDirect Link to This Post
Good idea.

But I really don't see the need in this case. The upper plenum just doesn't get hot enough to cause any problems. And, there's no stress on the welded joint either. I always put down a nice thick bead of weld with deep penetration. I've had no problems.

The Dawg

Originally posted by La fiera:

I did mine attached to the middle manifold and changing to opposite sides and do small sections at a time. If you do it this way when you installed it back you would not put stress on it or have to machine it.

------------------

Dawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DawgSend a Private Message to DawgDirect Link to This Post
Well, I finally got the chance to put one of my own intakes on my car. Holy **** what a difference. Here's my review from our club site. Keep in mind my engine is a 3.1L with a performance cam and ported exhaust manifolds.

========================================

Ok....the car has been taken on it's maiden voyage and WOW, what a difference. I am amazed how this has changed the throttle response.
More bottom end for sure and that sound....yummy. Sounds more throaty, like it's gonna bite someone.

Top end? That will have to wait till I get everything tuned up. It always seemed like it wanted to go faster before, now even more so.

As far as performance goes, I'm still at the WOW stage.... As I suspected, the performance cam just loves it's new intake. The car seems to pull hard all the way to where I get scared for it's life. Which at the moment is about 6000 rpm. I say about, because my tach is reading too high.

The engine sound up there is fantastic.

EVERYONE with a 60deg V6 should do this, honestly.

Here's the whole thread.

http://www.westcoastfieros....m_posts.asp?TID=2120

I am very happy, it feels like a different car. I almost spun her around today because I'm not used to the thing anymore.

The Dawg

------------------

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2011 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaDirect Link to This Post
PM sent to Damien. I have an upper intake ready to be shipped.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2012 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaDirect Link to This Post
PM sent. Perchance does anyone here know Damien and might be able to contact him and ask him to please check his PM here?

Thank you!
rlndhill

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rlndhillSend a Private Message to rlndhillDirect Link to This Post
I spoke to Dawg in early December 2011 and he advised me that he would be out of pocket until late January 2012. Hope this helps??

Robert
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanDirect Link to This Post
What is the status of this intake? Dawg still doing any?
Dawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2012 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DawgSend a Private Message to DawgDirect Link to This Post
I still do a few a year locally but not much mail order anymore. I don't come this way often.

If anyone is serious about getting some work done, try to PM me here or better yet PM me at West Coast Fieros Forum.

Cheers,

Dawg
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2012 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I have seen this in action, and I can attest to it's quality, and increaseed throttle response. A well needed product for this community.

Tony
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I know that Dawg is not planning on doing these as much as originally, but wanted to offer a "Long Term Test" feedback.

Dawg aka Damian, gave me his first prototype intake, and I installed it and was not really sure how much it did. However I figured hey its got to be better than stock, so I left it on and just kinda forgot about it. Then when I did the swap to the 2nd 2.8 into my 88GT I had to re-do my emissions test so I needed to have my EGR back, and I stuck on his Big Bore Throttle body with a stock intake that I had ported out to match the throttle body as well as the gasket. I did my test and continued driving the car. For those that know me, they know I commute from Surrey BC Canada back and forth to Aurora Oregon USA in my 88GT a lot. To the tune of nearly 2000 miles per month on the car. On my last trip down and back to Oregon I noticed the car was not revving like it used to, and on highway stretches were I wanted to stretch the legs a bit, it was struggling to top 110mph. I know part of it is due to the spare motor is a tired motor. However it was the lack of speed in how quickly it should reach red-line in the first few gears.

Monday I returned to Canada for 5 days for an MRI on my back and during some of the down time, today I pulled off the stock intake and swapped Dawgs back on, and all be damned, it really did pick up some extra high rpm power. At 1/2 throttle is much quicker and at WOT between 4000 and 6000 it is much improved. I don't have to do emission testing until Jan of 2014 and by that time I may be living in Oregon. Aurora Oregon does not have emissions testing, so I can do whatever I chose to the car.

Don't get your hopes up, this is not a Nitrous Kit, or a Turbo Kit or a Supercharger amount of increase, but it looks stock, its always there, won't wear out, and once you bought it, you don't need to worry about it. Its also a mod that will complement other mods like big cam, or ported exhaust manifolds really well. (or of course larger displacement motors like the 3.4 and 3.2 V6 cars) In the end I am happy being the Test Mule for the intake. Its working great.

P.S. Damian, I got into Canada on Monday and am heading back to Aurora on Friday. So if you need anything between now and then let me know. Lisa and I are quickly doing our taxes tomorrow at 1pm, but am free after that.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock