Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  1 of 4 Americans don't know ... (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
1 of 4 Americans don't know ... by Wichita
Started on: 02-14-2014 01:40 PM
Replies: 70
Last post by: TheDigitalAlchemist on 02-18-2014 05:20 PM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
The test is flawed. One question had no universal correct answer.
Click to show
IP: Logged
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

One question had no universal correct answer.

Nope. Sex is not the same as gender. Sex is solely genetic, while gender involves personal identity. Of course, most adults identify with their biological sex, but some do not.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-15-2014).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Personal identity from what input?

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I actually had to google "cisgender". That was new to me.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:
Sex is not the same as gender. Sex is solely genetic, while gender involves personal identity.

Three of four Americans don't know that, . Kidding, I don't know that fact to be true. Play off the thread title.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Personal identity from what input?

Self.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Self.

Self--That indicates non-sociological or no social environment input.

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Self--That indicates non-sociological or no social environment input.

Self identification. I'm using the conventions from cultural anthropology: It doesn't matter what others think you are. What matters is how you see yourself, or the broad patterns of gender-specific behavior you display.

There may be different conventions, e.g. in psychology, sociology, or other social sciences, that I don't know about.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-16-2014).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Self identification.

Ahh, self identification. I had to look that one up. It means vanity. There was a picture of Napoleon, Hitler, and Nobama, .

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 02-16-2014).]

Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post

Nitrogen, like all of the other gases in the atmosphere, behaves according to the Ideal Gas Law: pv = nRT (at least at reasonable temperatures and pressures).

Nitrogen expands with temperature just the same as oxygen, or any mixture of the two, or dry air. The presence of water vapor in air (or in nitrogen, for that matter) can be problematic, though, since it is condensable at ordinary ambient temperatures and pressures. Actually, that is the primary advantage of using nitrogen rather than locally-compressed air: the bottled nitrogen is "dry" ... i.e. guaranteed to be free of water.

Thanks, interesting reading. looks like as you say the benefit is mostly because it is dry and moisture in air is what makes it expand more, and it is not a lot.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Several of these questions will have different answers if you agree with evolution or creationism.
Getting them "right" is opinion and shows how well general public school teachings can be regurgitated.
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

Several of these questions will have different answers if you agree with evolution or creationism.

This was a science quiz, not a philosophy or theology quiz.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-16-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Riiiiiight!
Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantDirect Link to This Post

Nope. Sex is not the same as gender. Sex is solely genetic, while gender involves personal identity. Of course, most adults identify with their biological sex, but some do not.

Even sex is non-binary. Hermaphrodites are naturally occurring. (Rare, but naturally occurring.) It's also possible to have both fully functional. It's also possible to be born with two fully-functioning penises. (Link: Reddit ask-me-anything with a man who has that unique situation. Some links behind that link may be NSFW.) It's also possible to be born with no genetic sex at all. Biologically speaking, even sex is not a 'this or that' answer.
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
... 3 out of 4 avoid them ...
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

This was a science quiz, not a philosophy or theology quiz.

If you say so.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
no, not if marvin says so, even though he's right in this case.
the test is based on silly little things like astronomy and chromosomes and subatomic particles, and has nothing to do with gods or systems of ethics. the only reason some people object to it is because it contradicts a literal interpretation of an oral tradition composed by shepherds who believed they were superior to everyone else because they were "chosen" by one of those same gods.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:
the test is based on silly little things like ...

... a regular joe blow's opinion. It wasn't "one out of four scientists" don't know. Was it even a knowledge test ? Or, was it a fund raiser ?

One in three respondents said science should get more funding from the government.

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

no, not if marvin says so, even though he's right in this case.
the test is based on silly little things like astronomy and chromosomes and subatomic particles, and has nothing to do with gods or systems of ethics. the only reason some people object to it is because it contradicts a literal interpretation of an oral tradition composed by shepherds who believed they were superior to everyone else because they were "chosen" by one of those same gods.

It's funny.... For 30 years I used to think that, now I'm not so sure. My education, training, and even my logic is based in science. I'm not saying that the answers are wrong, I'm just saying that several questions hinge on the belief of evolution. That's all. In my mind, these particular questions are not based in fact, but opinion. It is a theory that has been put together based on observations and testing, but not proven. Evidence of that is that the theory changes every so often (even within our life time). Hence.... thinking that what we were taught in school was "fact"? Is it? How much of it can be proven?
Science is an experiment. I live it every day at work and at home.

Just my two cents....
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

It's funny.... For 30 years I used to think that, now I'm not so sure. My education, training, and even my logic is based in science. I'm not saying that the answers are wrong, I'm just saying that several questions hinge on the belief of evolution. That's all. In my mind, these particular questions are not based in fact, but opinion. It is a theory that has been put together based on observations and testing, but not proven. Evidence of that is that the theory changes every so often (even within our life time). Hence.... thinking that what we were taught in school was "fact"? Is it? How much of it can be proven?

Not that you're wrong in what you say but to me, it's about probabilities. And if you assign an equal probability to the creation theory and the evolution theory then logic doesn't have much to do with it, in my opinion.

Of course it can be said in class that the evolution theory is a scientific theory with an explanation of what that means. And it can be said that then there are some that believe... (pick your creation myth).

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 02-18-2014).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:
Not that you're wrong in what you say but to me, it's about probabilities. And if you assign an equal probability to the creation theory and the evolution theory then logic doesn't have much to do with it, in my opinion.

Can you logically explain A Missing Genetic Link in Human Evolution and the fact that the evolution theory stopped happening ?
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post

Can you logically explain A Missing Genetic Link in Human Evolution and the fact that the evolution theory stopped happening ?

Heh, stopped happening?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:
Heh, stopped happening?

Well, if we evolved from apes, logically the same evolutionary process would still be occurring.
Perhaps, when God created man, He turned the evolution faucet on for just a bit ?
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Science is an experiment. I live it every day at work and at home.

Just my two cents....

Right along with electric theory and atomic theory, some how the concepts behind these theory examples work in observation.

It just so happens that evolution theory is the pesky little scientific theory out of so many, that happens to be the one that many religious people disagree with by saying it is just a "theory", yet they don't give any credence to any other scientific theory, just evolution.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Well, if we evolved from apes,

We didn't and no-one who has dedicated any time to the evolution theory would say that. We share common ancestors. We actually share common ancestors with all living beings on this planet, you just need to go back in time far enough.

Originally posted by cliffw:...logically the same evolutionary process would still be occurring.

It is, it's just a very slow process and difficult to observe in real time.

Originally posted by cliffw:Perhaps, when God created man, He turned the evolution faucet on for just a bit ?

So now he didn't create Adam out of "the dust of the ground" and then "breathed into his nostrils the breath of life"?

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 02-18-2014).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Stopped happening? You are mistaken.

Well, if we evolved from apes, logically the same evolutionary process would still be occurring.
Perhaps, when God created man, He turned the evolution faucet on for just a bit ?

It is still occurring. You just don't understand evolutionary theory.

There wasn't a group of modern-day chimps that turned into humans. We evolved into our separate species from the same ancestors.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
those who believe the theory of evolution is invalid do so because they do not want to believe it.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 02-18-2014).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

those who believe the theory of evolution is invalid do so because they do not want to believe it.

Nobody has to believe it. Just come up with something better that's not "because the bible says so".
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-18-2014 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Faith.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

lol
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave