Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Your favorite quote: Tell us what it is and why :) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Your favorite quote: Tell us what it is and why :) by xquaid
Started on: 07-23-2013 05:33 PM
Replies: 69
Last post by: Taijiguy on 07-29-2013 07:39 AM
xquaid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xquaidClick Here to visit xquaid's HomePageSend a Private Message to xquaidDirect Link to This Post
We see quotes every day. Some motivational; some inspirational.

Which quote(s) do you like? Anything in particular stick out from a movie or book?

My favorite quote: I like what the ancient philosopher Socrates said, "Know thyself."
Why: It is simple. 2 words. Easy to remember. Powerful.

Know yourself: Know what you want, like, and enjoy. Do not stress about others. Help them if/when you can, but do not make somebody else's business your priority in life especially when it is negative. Just my 2 cents worth!

Next!

------------------
Fitness Entrepreneur
Founder - www.fitnesspatterns.com +
www.gymgym.us

[This message has been edited by xquaid (edited 07-23-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious **** .

It's funny.

Kevin
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
"Conversation between two educated people, can be both stimulating, and enlightening. But i prefer to talk to stupid people because they remind me that im best".!

Edmund Blackadder..

Another one..

"I may not subscribe to it my friend, but you must give the man credit, i doubt he would have captured all the hearts and mind of all those Christians if all Jesus said was... Woof!"..

Edmund Blackadder..

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 07-23-2013).]

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 327
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Whatta ya think it is, bush week?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
If it aint broke, dont fix it. (variation...if it aint broke fix it till it is) Self exclamatory
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
It's a long quote...

Also worth mentioning... Reagan never went to war, with the exception of helping the small island of Grenada.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
**** you thats why
Jake_Dragon

Because **** you thats why
fogglethorpe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fogglethorpeSend a Private Message to fogglethorpeDirect Link to This Post
"The smallest minority on earth is the individual." -Ayn Rand

It decries racism, sexism, and bigotry while exalting liberty and equality.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
"There is no substitute for knowing what you're doing." - a previous boss.

Self explanatory

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
"Nah. I don't play well with others". Dade Murphy, the move Hackers.

Why? Because it's true.
AntiKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AntiKevClick Here to visit AntiKev's HomePageSend a Private Message to AntiKevDirect Link to This Post
"I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
- John Galt

And of course:

PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
"Humanity is it's own worst enemy." I have no attribution but, once I realized it, I started to use the phrase with a regular frequency.

All else fails, go for Nietzsche, Derrida, or any of the lesser-known 20th century philosophers.

Husserl:

First, anyone who seriously intends to become a philosopher must "once in his life" withdraw into himself and attempt, within himself, to overthrow and build anew all the sciences that, up to then, he has been accepting.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once (Tupak Shakur)

Which is taken from Shakespeare's "Julius Ceaser"

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."

To me it means simply that a coward thinks over and over in his mind the outcome of battle, becoming more and more scared by what the outcome will be,
a Soldier just does his job without hesitation and the good of all -Jason

Edited for a better translation and quotes
------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths..................A soldier dies but once.

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 07-23-2013).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Do I look like a frackin people person ?<cant remember who>

Me, this god, I <Ayn Rand>

In a lot of way, those 2 along with "let them eat cake" just about sums up my view of most of humanity. I simply dont give a crap about them, and do place myself/my needs/my wants above thiers a lot of times.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 07-23-2013).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Too many

The tragedy of life is what dies inside a man while he lives. Albert Einstein
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom. Gen. George Patton
He who cannot endure the bad will not live to see the good. Yiddish proverb
One who makes no mistakes, never makes anything. Unk
Dare to dream, Dare to try, Dare to fail, Dare to succeed. G. Kinsley Wood
Obstacles are what a person sees when he takes his eyes off the road. E. Joseph Cossman
To do great important tasks, two things are necessary; a plan and not quite enough time. Unk
It’s easy to sit up and take notice. What is difficult is getting up and taking action. Al Batt
Do but do. James Joyce
Life is only a test. Unk
All sunshine makes a desert. Arab proverb
If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney
A man who does not make a choice makes a choice. Jewish proverb
It’s impossible to overestimate the unimportance of most things. John Lange
It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Be careful of the toes you step on today because they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtDirect Link to This Post
Dont argue with stupid people, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
For all you writers, musicians, artists and other creative types this is my personal motto.

"Persistence rewards talent." - Mike Stackpole
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
"I have never seen a greater monster or miracle then myself." ~Montaigne

"They speak of my drinking, but never my thirst." ~Scottish Proverb

"It is easier to forgive an enemy then to forgive a friend." ~ William Blake

"Man is certainly stark raving mad. He cannot make a worm, yet he will be making Gods by the dozens." ~ Montaigne

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

In capitalism, man exploits man. In communism, it's the other way around. ~ John Kenneth
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersDirect Link to This Post
Not my favorite, but a good one nonetheless:

NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersDirect Link to This Post

NoMoreRicers

2192 posts
Member since Mar 2009
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersDirect Link to This Post

NoMoreRicers

2192 posts
Member since Mar 2009

[This message has been edited by NoMoreRicers (edited 07-23-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersDirect Link to This Post
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersDirect Link to This Post

NoMoreRicers

2192 posts
Member since Mar 2009
jmclemore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmclemoreSend a Private Message to jmclemoreDirect Link to This Post
Welfare is like robbing a bank and donating it to a church as justification...............
ME
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
"Think"
HAGO!
gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
"Search the parks in all the cities, you'll find no statues to committees".
" If you want to make an enemy, try to change something": Calvin Coolidge

[This message has been edited by gusshotrod (edited 07-23-2013).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
"You Can't Handle The Truth !" Jack Nicholson, Movie "A Few Good Men".

Very fitting for these times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 07-23-2013).]

Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once (Tupak Shakur)

I like it!

Unfortunately I had a bunch more Tupac quotes I was going to post, but somehow when I was on another tab they disappeared.

So, I'll just put up this one and maybe some other time I'll type up some of the others.

"We probably in Hell already, our dumb asses not knowin. Everybody kissin ass to go to heaven ain't goin."

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-23-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

Unfortunately, people seem to forget the past all too quickly. As a result, we have persistent repeating themes in history.
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
"People can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forty percent of all people know that.” ~ Homer Simpson

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics". ~ Mark Twain
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." - Everyone in Galt's Gulch

"Education is no substitute for intelligence. That elusive quality is defined only in part by puzzle-solving ability. It is in the creation of new puzzles reflecting what your senses report that you round out the definition" - Mentat Text One

"Some people never observe anything. Life just happens to them. They get on little more than a kind of dumb persistence, and they resist with anger and resentment anything that might lift them out of that false serenity." - Taraza from Heretics of Dune

"What else can one do if one must serve the people? If one must live for others? Either pander to everybody's wishes and be called corrupt; or impose on everybody by force your own idea of everybody's good." - Henry Roark (I think)

"The choice is not self-sacrifice or domination. The choice is independence or dependence. The code of the creator or the code of the second-hander. This is the basic issue. It rests upon alternative of life or death. The code of the creator is built on the needs of the reasoning mind which allows man to survive. The code of the second-hander is built on the needs of a mind incapable of survival. All that which proceeds from man's independent ego is good. All that which proceeds from man's dependence upon men is evil.
The egotist in the absolute sense is not the man who sacrifices others. He is the man who stands above the need of using others in any manner. He does not function through them. He is not concerned with them in any primary matter. Not in his aim, not in his motive, not in his thinking, not in his desires, not in the source of his energy. He does not exist for any other man--and he asks no other man to exist for him. This is the only form of brotherhood and mutual respect possible between men.
Degrees of ability vary, but the basic principle remains the same: the degree of a man's independence, initiative and personal love for his work determines his talent as a worker and his worth as a man. Independence is the only gauge of human virtue and value. What a man is and makes of himself; not what he has or hasn't done for others. There is no substitute for personal dignity. There is no standard of personal dignity except independence.
In all proper relationships there is no sacrifice of anyone to anyone. An architect needs clients, but he does not subordinate his work to their wishes. They need him but they do not order a house just to give him a commission. Men exchange their work by free, mutual consent to mutual advantage when their personal interests agree and they both desire the exchange. If they do not desire it, they are not forced to deal with each other. They seek further. This is the only possible form of relationship between equals. Anything else is a relation of slave to master, or victim to executioner." - Henry Roark

Lots of reasons for each one but basically: they shaped who I am today. And I rather like who I am today.

EDIT: I typed all this out on my tablet. If I missed a few letters here and there, it is not the mistake of the original author.

[This message has been edited by theBDub (edited 07-24-2013).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
See below

because they are both right on the money

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-24-2013).]

Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTDirect Link to This Post
This one touched me when watching Pacific Rim

Stacker Pentecost: Today at the edge of our hope, at the end of our time. We have chosen to believe in each other! Today we face the monsters that are at our door, today we are cancelling the apocalypse!

It touched me because the WORLD got together as ONE, no matter race or creed and fought for a common goal, survival.

The speech is much more moving in the movie. The context, the feeling of unity and desperation makes it inspirational.

The full speech starts at the 1:00m mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5gWtQljDkI

[This message has been edited by Purple86GT (edited 07-24-2013).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
It's impossible for me to select just one. Some favorites:

The more you know, the more you don't know. ~ Sean Daley (anthropologist)

[In science] there is an ever-expanding frontier of ignorance. ~ Richard Feynman (physicist)

You can make something fool proof, but you can't make it damn-fool proof. ~ Larry Maisel (TV executive)

If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude. ~ Colin Powell (general officer U.S. Army, U.S. Secretary of State)

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for. Sail out to sea and do new things. ~ Grace Hopper (flag officer U.S. Navy)

When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it, that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don't have to worry about making it. They can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it...when others make it after you. ~ Pablo Picasso (artist)

I think it is a general rule that the originator of a new idea is not the most suitable person to develop it, because his fears of something going wrong prevent his looking at the method from a purely detached point of view. ~ P.A.M. Dirac (mathematician)

If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans. ~ Woody Allen (auteur)

The easiest person in the world to fool is yourself. ~ Richard Feynman (physicist)

It’s not what people don't know that hurts them, it's what they know that ain't true. ~ Will Rogers (humorist)

There is no need for propaganda to be rich in intellectual content. ~ P.J. Goebbels (Nazi, German Reich Minister of Propaganda)

Tradition is the illusion of permanence. ~ Woody Allen (auteur)

You can’t take nine women and produce a baby in one month. ~ Marvin McInnis (philistine), paraphrasing Fred Brooks (software engineer)

In high school my teachers would always say, "When you get out in the real world you won't be able to wait until the last minute to finish your work." I now know the truth. In the real world, if it weren't for the last minute nothing would ever get done. ~ Marvin McInnis (philistine)

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. ~ Marvin McInnis (philistine)

I've gotten so old that it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night. ~ Raymond Babek (TV engineer)

Never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself. ~ Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-25-2013).]

AndyLPhoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyLPhotoClick Here to visit AndyLPhoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to AndyLPhotoDirect Link to This Post

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter.”
― D.L. Moody

"There is no safety in a significant life, and there is no significance in a safe life."
― Chris Brady

"The trouble with quotes displayed on the Internet is that it is difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
― Abraham Lincoln

Also some very good ones up above from Gokart Mozart and Marvin McInnis.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
― Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

Why is it my favorite? Because my job is all about deadlines.. and more often than not, they are not met, for any one of a million reasons. Usually completely out of my control.
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AndyLPhoto:
"The trouble with quotes displayed on the Internet is that it is difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
― Abraham Lincoln

LOL! Love that one!
xquaid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xquaidClick Here to visit xquaid's HomePageSend a Private Message to xquaidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Obstacles are what a person sees when he takes his eyes off the road. E. Joseph Cossman

This stuck out for me.

Distractions stop us from becoming what we really want to be.
For some it is bills, for others it is negativity.
I try my hardest to stay focused on helping others learn how to exercise but the $ factor always holds me down

------------------
Fitness Entrepreneur
Founder - www.fitnesspatterns.com +
www.gymgym.us

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave