Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  how can you check if somone has a millitary history/background? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
how can you check if somone has a millitary history/background? by AL87
Started on: 03-07-2012 03:22 AM
Replies: 79
Last post by: spark1 on 03-16-2012 10:45 PM
stumpkin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stumpkinSend a Private Message to stumpkinDirect Link to This Post
New generation of warriors: All research indicates is healthier to talk about it then to hold it in.

Once again it’s the who’s telling the truth and who isn’t!
IP: Logged
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stumpkin:
About the Good Conduct Award: I might be off, how I remenber it: USN every 4 years, other branches every 3 years.

I too belive that is correct--or was way back when..
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Non Active military that never retired nowadays have only the dd214 to prove they were in for things like veterans discounts at stores etc. When you out-doc, they take your military ID,and base car-window stickers .. at least that was the policy when I out-docced. I have my dd214, and use it all the time for verterans discounts and associatons . At least I get something back out of uncle sam, he certainly took plenty from me while I was in.

Mom still has her Military ID, and Dad had his until he died. He had recently got it renewed.

It looks a lot like this, but is more brown. I believe it also says "Inactive" somewhere on it, next time I'm over there I'll ask to take a picture of it. I don't see why any retired military would not have this ID, she uses it for a lot of things from discounts at Lowes, to flights (CONUS and OCONUS) for free on Space A travel. There is also the low prices staying on base all over the world. There should be no need to pull out a ream of paperwork to prove you are retired Military, ask to see ID.

Brad
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Mom still has her Military ID, and Dad had his until he died. He had recently got it renewed.

It looks a lot like this, but is more brown. I believe it also says "Inactive" somewhere on it, next time I'm over there I'll ask to take a picture of it. I don't see why any retired military would not have this ID, she uses it for a lot of things from discounts at Lowes, to flights (CONUS and OCONUS) for free on Space A travel. There is also the low prices staying on base all over the world. There should be no need to pull out a ream of paperwork to prove you are retired Military, ask to see ID.

Brad

Hmm.. Mine was green (late 90s) and when I out-docced, I had to turn it in, as well as my DOD sticker for my vehicle. But then, I never retired nor was I the spouse of a retiree.. perhaps there lies the difference. Thats why I have to show DD214.. which is not really a "ream of paperwork".. just a page in a folder. The good news is the license bureau in Ohio told me next time I renew my license, if I bring my DD214 in, they can add the info straight to my drivers license so I no longer have to carry around the piece of paper even.

EDIT: Is that you in the pic, Brad?

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 03-12-2012).]

all4u

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for all4uSend a Private Message to all4uDirect Link to This Post
I agree with most of the posts from military members except for what I believe is one small mistake by blackthundergt. I believe that you have to hold the rank of E-4 to even get into sniper school.

I am a 19D, or you can google Cavalry Scout. If a person claims to be my MOS, I will start reciting the Scout Creed and if they will recite it with me if they are the same, all the time it happens. It's almost like a catchy song that is stuck in your head and the person next to you knows the same song and it is stuck in their head as well. I can imagine that a civilian might have a hard time realizing the real soldiers from the fake @$$ kids that play too much call of duty. Also, some schools you just have to take. If you are an NCO, you have been to WLC or if you are a bit older like me, it used to be called WLCS. Also, most units push for their soldiers to be CLS certified (combat life saver). Basically a useless course because if $#!T hits the fan, you are looking for a 68W and not a CLS qualified soldier.

Other things that you can catch. If someone just recently, like within the past year said that they were a 63 B or 63 S, basically a mechanic, those MOS's combined to become a 91 B. Not sure why they did that but someone else can chime in. Another little thing, during roll call, only lower enlisted call the First SGT by rank. The rest of us call him "Top". One more thing that is more recent it seems, most soldiers know about, while it may seems small but it does make a huge change. The worst of our MRE's for the longest time would be the breakfast eggs, and while we know that is the worst one, it also got to the higher ups. That MRE was replaced with the maple sausage and suddenly became the best one right next to the cheese tortellini with apple slices and of course the first strike bar and candy. Might not matter that much but most soldiers know that while they should be cool with their readiness NCO, truth is, they are cool with supply, the cooks, and the motorpool SGT.

If you want to see if someone is in the service, ask them if they have ever had the omelette MRE and what they thought of it. Anyone that has had it has hated it, at least all the soldiers I know. It should have a 15 minute story with some sick details about how they puked, or they had the white castle $#!Ts, or they could taste it on their tongue hours later. You get the idea. While it is so small of an issue, it is one hell of a conversation speech. If the person says they liked it, and change the subject right away, most likely they are a fake. The MRE is one hell of a conversation piece and most soldiers, even the weekend warriors, will talk your ear off about it.

I understand where you are coming from though, and while I'm only a 5 and soon to get my 6, I can usually spot a fake easily and can help my friends spot other fakes.

If this person is Army, ask them what they got on their APFT. If they say something like 90 something or 100%, they are full of crap. You have to hit 180 to pass and 300 is your top score unless you get on the extended scale. You can't hit the extended scale unless you do a 100 in all the events. The run is usually the hardest for most people and the push ups is usually the easiest. Most of the guys I know can max the push ups but can't come close to max on the run.

Hope this helps.
Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
I think all ID's have to be turned in now. Since they are all CAC cards now (Computer access cards). Don't hold me to that though.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Interesting topic, I know of no way to authenicate what I hear in passing from those that served so, I generally accept the statement that they have served. Many times different locations, MOSs, equipment or units come up. If, they've been there, done that or know the right things, it's easy to know who is telling the truth. But then one would have had to serve to have similar knowledge or experiences.

Not that if comes up daily or even frequently but, I'm damn proud of my service. Those that served should be proud IMO. Too many have no appreciation of the price of freedom, my greatest respect goes to those who served, regardless of where, when or how.

Heck, I even respect Navy. Someone has to operate the boats and transport all that Marine equipment and supplies ya know.

------------------
Ron
The key thing is to wake up breathing! All the rest can be fixed. (Except Stupid - You can't fix that)
Always remember these words of wisdom.

"The Lord must truly love fools, for he made them in abundance."

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Just tell him you looked him up and found his miltary record so you know the truth. You dont even have to say anything else. If hes that dumb, he wont know that you cant look him up.

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Loki:

I think all ID's have to be turned in now. Since they are all CAC cards now (Computer access cards). Don't hold me to that though.

Dependent and retiree cards are mostly still the old style. A program is ongoing that changes retiree ID to CAC for AKO access.
Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Also, most people who were in any SF section will not be open to talk about everything they did (Seal, Rangers and so on). If they are really open, then usually lying. From what I have seen over the years.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I work with one of those guys.

He's a pathological BSer.

Friggin sad. BS is one thing but to claim to have served and not is a whole other level of lowlife.
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

Friggin sad. BS is one thing but to claim to have served and not is a whole other level of lowlife.

I don’t mind people claiming to have been in the military who were not if they don't claim hero status. It was no big deal when I served cause nearly everyone I knew did it. To be honest, I was a draft dodger. I joined the USAF to avoid being drafted into the Army. That was a real possibility at the time for those of us without some type of deferment. But it does bother me for anyone to claim privilege by being a hero as the publisher of the largest newspaper in Arizona once did. He resigned after it was disclosed that he never had served in the military.

Audie Murphy said it best; “The real heroes are dead.” I'd add also the ones physically and mentally messed up by war for the rest of their lives.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 03-13-2012).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Loki:

Also, most people who were in any SF section will not be open to talk about everything they did (Seal, Rangers and so on). If they are really open, then usually lying. From what I have seen over the years.

Most Military people that have seen any action will not talk much about it. It's not nearly as "romantic" as the movies make it out to be.

My Dad did several tours in Vietnam, in the Air Force, Navy, and Army. We have one photo album from his time there, and some of them are disturbing pictures (most are pictures of buddies taken by a guy that wasn't great with a camera.)

My Father-In-Law was in Vietnam. On some days when the time is right, and his medication is fully working he will tell some, but even I have ran into many walls where he just tears up and goes to his room. He doesn't go outside on the Fourth of July (because of noise) and usually has break downs in the spring. I'll have to ask my wife as she remembers all the detailed stuff, but he was part of some advanced landing group, nothing spectacular, just a bunch of kids that were expendable. They went ahead of the main groups, got dropped off and lived for a time on their own, killing whoever they ran into and clearing for other groups. There was a movie about his company, but I'll have to ask Rachel what it was too (I've had a stressful day and my memory is shot right now) He was only barely a survivor of the war. he spent years in a mental hospital, and has to take medication to deal with the real world. He's really a great guy, he was just placed in a bad spot as a kid and it broke him. He does have the obligatory, wall of awards, and letters signed by the President which brings me to this.

This is Dad's wall at Mom's house. We made it before he died, now it has more items, but initially just the handwritten pledge, and America over that. (All Mom's idea, I just helped.) Then she added framed pictures from each branch he was in, later stars in the upper left corner of the wall. After we get his awards and different larger photo's framed we will get those put up as well.

Originally posted by tbone42:
EDIT: Is that you in the pic, Brad?

No, it's a stock photo from some news site. I was born with some severe hearing problems, had surgery when I was younger to hear which went on my permanent record, and blocked any hopes I had of a Military career. We tried many times, and many different ways to get in, but medical records always came back to haunt me. So for the record, I was never in the Military.

Brad
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Heck, I even respect Navy. Someone has to operate the boats and transport all that Marine equipment and supplies ya know.

Spoken like a jarhead. Congratulations on perpetuating the feud. Saw plenty of fights go down in my time, some won by green, some won by blue.. almost all of them over girls... But I only saw Marines pass out at the red cross blood drive, not squids.. so put that in your pipe and smoke it, Ron.
all4u

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for all4uSend a Private Message to all4uDirect Link to This Post
Ouch, I just have to jump on this. Squids are good at being a taxi cab and giving us rides everywhere. It cracks me up to see all the squids hanging out at Gurnee Mills mall and I usually roll with my Army buddies when I'm up there. These little junior enlisted group walking around makes me happy inside. It reminds me of when I was an idiot in BCT. Most that I talk to are in some support company and they are computer geeks, mechanics, pencil pushers, and so on. I get a kick out of the whole thing. Really, it is funny, not to knock them or anything.
As far as the Marines, well, Marine means More @$$holes Rocking In Navy Equiptment. Nuff said. Just joking about the Marine thing so all you leathernecks, don't get all butt hurt.
As far as the ChairForce, you gotta love them. The Airforce is like the military but they have nap time and recess.

No BS though. I am more then pissed when I hear some BS at the mall about some guy saying he served in such in such with whatever branch and he thinks he's cool and he says all this crap just to impress some random girl. On top of that, I've been seeing alot of these fake dog tags that are polished or maybe stainless and they have pics on them or some stupid $#!T on them like so and so friends forever. What is up with that? When did the military become a friggin' fashion statement? It's friggin bull and someone needs to do something about it because it royally honks me off and I know it does the same to other people who actually serve.

I thought I would add also, as a safety warning to people on here. It is a good idea if you research PTSD if you are around the military alot. I too don't go out on July 4th and yes I'm still jumpy around crowds and loud or sudden noises. Yes I sleep with at least 3 guns around my bed. Yes I have a problem with you getting in my personal space even if I know you. Yes it bothers me when I see a car on the shoulder of the highway and I will get over on the opposite side before I pass it. I will hopefully get over it but for right now, I ask people to understand that even though the war is over, the war really isn't because alot of us are messed up mentally. We are messed up bad enough that the military wants us to leave and they will give us disability for the rest of our lives. We fight to stay in, because this is our home, our job, and our family. We took an oath to protect this country against enemies, both foreign and domestic, and it's hard to tell who is and who isn't the enemy. Our safety lies in our unit, and our service to country. Alot of us can't just leave the military and go to a civilian job, we don't have the skills to interact with other people and our PTSD stops us from acting normal. People around us look at us funny and act as if we are strange and different. We are different, not by choice, but by our decisions, to give anything and everything to protect and serve this great country we live in.

So the next time you see a Veteran, we don't need you to buy us a drink, or dinner, or really anything, we are used to not having a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. A simple "Thank you for your service" is more then enough.
fierohobby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyDirect Link to This Post
Even if you verify service, you aren't necessarily getting the truth. Had a "friend" who claimed to be a nuclear missile tech on a sub, had "radi8n" on his car tags, bragged about all his accomplishments. Turns out he was in the Navy, but was given a court-martial and served time in the brig after he got his teen-aged girlfriend pregnant then failed to report when his boat left next. He intentionally impregnated the young lady to use her as "cushion" when he skipped (all that came direct from the young woman, long since his ex).

So, you're really just wasting your time. As has been sensibly suggested, lose "friends" who tell BS stories about military service.

-fh
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

when I was getting ready to enlist I talked to all of the recruiters navy wanted me to be a "nuclear engineer" army wanted me to be "psy-ops" And the Marines told me its all service time. the army would have sent me to sniper school out of boot camp, unlike the marines where Id have to serve at least 2 years as a requirement. and the same with the navy.

lol

FYI That's something (shady) recruiters tell everyone to get them to enlist.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by all4u:
I agree with most of the posts from military members except for what I believe is one small mistake by blackthundergt. I believe that you have to hold the rank of E-4 to even get into sniper school.

Not that it’s a big deal or anything but actually I am correct it’s PFC (E-3) thru SFC (E-7) which can be wavered. As a former training NCO I have requested orders for sniper school on more than one E-3. That being said unit commanders can make their own requirements as to who they send to what schools. Believe me the E-3’s sent from my unit were high speed and had their sh*t together.
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Ouch, I just have to jump on this. Squids are good at being a taxi cab and giving us rides everywhere. It cracks me up to see all the squids hanging out at Gurnee Mills mall and I usually roll with my Army buddies when I'm up there. These little junior enlisted group walking around makes me happy inside. It reminds me of when I was an idiot in BCT. Most that I talk to are in some support company and they are computer geeks, mechanics, pencil pushers, and so on. I get a kick out of the whole thing. Really, it is funny, not to knock them or anything.
As far as the Marines, well, Marine means More @$$holes Rocking In Navy Equiptment. Nuff said. Just joking about the Marine thing so all you leathernecks, don't get all butt hurt.
As far as the ChairForce, you gotta love them. The Airforce is like the military but they have nap time and recess.

Soo.. Just thought I'd add a interjection to your comments. Sorry to the OP ... Um so when you were riding around to and from the Mall, in a taxi no less, you saw some squids kicking it and you thought, "Aw how cute"? And it made you feel "happy inside"? Most that you talk to are "pencil pusher and computer geeks"? .

I'm trying to figure out where the hell your hanging out at! Lol Next time you and your Army buds go for "Ladies time" at the mall take some frilly pics! .

Perhaps you never met a...

All in fun!
all4u

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for all4uSend a Private Message to all4uDirect Link to This Post
Wait, hold on, by Seabees, are we talking about CB's as in construction workers? Sorry if I offend but I don't see many people in the Navy that are actually in a combat based MOS. Ordnance is needed, but they have to realize that when push comes to shove and the bullets are flying, you need your combat arms guys more then anything. While the seabees are amazing at repair and building structures, I have to kind of classify them with the pencil pushers, alot like how I classify the 91B's as pencil pushers.

Please don't take offense, all of our MOS's are important, but I have to say, when the $#!T hits the fan, I will take my chances with the combat arms guys over the support MOS's. I can live without a bunker or without a shelter during a storm, but I can't live without guns and people that are experts in how to use them.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Wait, hold on, by Seabees, are we talking about CB's as in construction workers? Sorry if I offend but I don't see many people in the Navy that are actually in a combat based MOS. Ordnance is needed, but they have to realize that when push comes to shove and the bullets are flying, you need your combat arms guys more then anything. While the seabees are amazing at repair and building structures, I have to kind of classify them with the pencil pushers, alot like how I classify the 91B's as pencil pushers.

Please don't take offense, all of our MOS's are important, but I have to say, when the $#!T hits the fan, I will take my chances with the combat arms guys over the support MOS's. I can live without a bunker or without a shelter during a storm, but I can't live without guns and people that are experts in how to use them.

At the Gurnee Mills Mall, in Gurnee Indiana no less. Seabees will come over there build you a new mall and kick your a$$ all around the food court while waiting for lunch to cook!

BTW I'm not offended at all just having a laugh. It's the boot campers that usually blah blah blah the most!

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

I can live without a bunker or without a shelter during a storm, but I can't live without guns and people that are experts in how to use them.

Gonna get awful lonesome being there without replacements and pretty tedious sitting around in a shelter half always counting your rounds because there are no runways, no heli pads, and no un-mined beaches or even existing port facilities with which to tie up supply ships.

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Guess all that time I spent as FO for mortar platoon counts as pushing pencils. Guess all the time I spent in a damn fox hole in the desert freezing my azz off so bad I actually wanted to wear my MOP gear was more pencil pushing. Guess all the time spent lugging around a 16, live rounds and comm gear in the Middle East was pushing a pencil too for that matter. We were there before the gear with the Marines getting the place "safe" for you guys to come in, so nobody'd have to listen to you guys piss and moan. Lol as a matter of fact I dont recall seeing an Army guy the whole time I was there with the advanced party...Guess maybe those boys showed up after the party had already started?

Meh, I digress. Were all entitled to our opinions and you know what they say about opinions...
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Gonna get awful lonesome being there without replacements and pretty tedious sitting around in a shelter half always counting your rounds because there are no runways, no heli pads, and no un-mined beaches or even existing port facilities with which to tie up supply ships.

Exactly. Without box-kickers like me, gun-slingers like him are hanging out in the breeze. Everyone serves and does their duty, some Marines just think they need extra credit or something.

All4u-
I was on ship with a GMC (Gunners Mate Chief) that would tell you to eat **** and like it, and you would out of respect. He did two tours on the ground in 'nam before he joined the Navy, but I don't think you would be calling him a pencil pusher. He's seen more lead rotate, more blood and had more pussy than you will ever dream of. I would charge the gates of hell with that man.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 03-14-2012).]

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

*snip*
There was a movie about his company, but I'll have to ask Rachel what it was too

Brad

We Were Soldiers ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0277434/ ) sounds similar to your Father-In-Law's experience. I haven't seen it since 09, but it definitely left an impact on me.

Your Dad's shrine (not sure if that's the right term I'm looking for, sorry) is very tastefully done. I really like the handpainted letters, much more personal touch than vinyl letters could have done.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Guess all that time I spent as FO for mortar platoon counts as pushing pencils. Guess all the time I spent in a damn fox hole in the desert freezing my azz off so bad I actually wanted to wear my MOP gear was more pencil pushing. Guess all the time spent lugging around a 16, live rounds and comm gear in the Middle East was pushing a pencil too for that matter. We were there before the gear with the Marines getting the place "safe" for you guys to come in, so nobody'd have to listen to you guys piss and moan. Lol as a matter of fact I dont recall seeing an Army guy the whole time I was there with the advanced party...Guess maybe those boys showed up after the party had already started?

Meh, I digress. Were all entitled to our opinions and you know what they say about opinions...

Yep, we do. And we also know what they say about our own hype- "never believe it".
The Seabees like every other unit has their niche and their place in the order of battle.

"Safe" for you guys to come in" ?

Don't go there--You're making yourself look stupid.
I ferried too many Seabees into remote areas to build new LZs--accompanied by US Army, ARVN, ROK, or USMC rifle platoons as perimeter guard--AFTER the Navy and USAF had prepped the area, as well as lots of arty falling before ANY of us went there.

The # of Seabees killed in the War on Terror--Kenya, Iraq, Afghanistan et al is somewhere around 60 afaik--including combat and non combat losses. One actually stands a better chance of being killed in an auto accident over the course of their lifetime than being killed as a Seabee in combat.
Since the forming of the 1st Seabee unit in the 1940s, there has been one Seabee medal of honor recepient--Marvin Shields.

I'm not trying to diminish the CB contribution to any combat endeavor, but give us friggin break from the rhetoric. No one's buying all the bs.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-14-2012).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Umkay
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

And this people... is why there are bar fights in every bar, outside of every military base...

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

(for all those who don't know, the MOP gear is the chemical weapons mask, pants, and parka thingy)

Yep, we do. And we also know what they say about our own hype- "never believe it".
The Seabees like every other unit has their niche and their place in the order of battle.

"Safe" for you guys to come in" ?

Man, you guys just don't know what safe is...

Try growing up in down-town Washington D.C....

(by the way, that was a joke... Woodley Park is actually quite nice)

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 03-14-2012).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Dependent and retiree cards are mostly still the old style. A program is ongoing that changes retiree ID to CAC for AKO access.

I was a little wrong, Mom's is "brownish" since she is a dependent.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Her's also has to be renewed every few years. I asked her if she could just use Dad's discharge papers to travel Space A, or go to Commissary, and she said that even with the papers she would have to have some sort of Id. She said she is supposed to get another style when she gets it renewed next year.

Dad's ID is blue,

His also has no expiration date.

I'm really surprised at how poor the picture quality is, it's almost similar to SAMS club id lol.

She also said that Lowes here has to see the military ID to get a military discount, they won't take discharge papers (tried when Dad had to get a new ID.)

So I'm going to go ahead and say that if someone is claiming to be honorably discharged from the Military, that they will have some sort of ID saying as much.

Brad
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
The only former servicemembers that will hold an ID card are:

Active duty retirees: Blue
Reserve retired under age 62: Grey
100% disabled vets: Color unsure. (I'd have to look at a co-worker's ID card.)

Anyone else that was discharged after 8 years of service will not have an ID card. (An active duty servicemember that gets out after say his first 4 years may have a Reserve ID card that expires when his 8 year statuory obligation is up. I can't remember on that one.)

From what I've seen, anyone under 25 that boasts excessively about being in one of the more exclusive/elite parts of the services is likely bullshitting
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

The only former servicemembers that will hold an ID card are:

Active duty retirees: Blue
Reserve retired under age 62: Grey
100% disabled vets: Color unsure. (I'd have to look at a co-worker's ID card.)

Anyone else that was discharged after 8 years of service will not have an ID card. (An active duty servicemember that gets out after say his first 4 years may have a Reserve ID card that expires when his 8 year statuory obligation is up. I can't remember on that one.)

From what I've seen, anyone under 25 that boasts excessively about being in one of the more exclusive/elite parts of the services is likely bullshitting

That's all well and good, but Dad got his just a year or so before he died. It is blue, has no expiration date, and was issued around 20 years after he retired. So that doesn't fit. He wasn't disabled, and served his full time which was confusing since he spent time in 3 different branches.

Perhaps I'm not following what you are saying.

Brad
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

twofatguys

16465 posts
Member since Jul 2004
Also, a little off topic, but if you are retired Military and not taking advantage of Space A travel, or even staying on base for extremely low rates you are missing out.

Most bases have very nice family quarters that put 5 start Hotels to shame in Quality and Service, price is usually in the 20-40 dollar a night range but varies based on location. There is also usually camping, and other services.

If anyone is interested Mom and Dad have a book they got years ago that shows locations, rates, what flights go where (more guesswork than anything), and any other number of Military only deals. I can at least get you the name.

Brad
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post

Also, a little off topic, but if you are retired Military and not taking advantage of Space A travel, or even staying on base for extremely low rates you are missing out.

Most bases have very nice family quarters that put 5 start Hotels to shame in Quality and Service, price is usually in the 20-40 dollar a night range but varies based on location. There is also usually camping, and other services.

If anyone is interested Mom and Dad have a book they got years ago that shows locations, rates, what flights go where (more guesswork than anything), and any other number of Military only deals. I can at least get you the name.

Brad

Space A is a great way to travel if you are retired and are not on a time schedule.
All the info you need is located here. http://www.amc.af.mil/amctravel/index.asp
They now have 11 terminals with facebook pages and when you join their page they will send you the flight schedules. Flight schedules are only released 72 hours in advance, now you can see what flights are leaving without having to call the terminals.
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

That's all well and good, but Dad got his just a year or so before he died. It is blue, has no expiration date, and was issued around 20 years after he retired. So that doesn't fit. He wasn't disabled, and served his full time which was confusing since he spent time in 3 different branches.

Perhaps I'm not following what you are saying.

Brad

Brad, was he retired from the military? Active or reserve? At age 60 a retired reservist goes from grey area retiree to true blue retiree.

My retiree ID card is the same as your father's. It says INDEF for an expiration date too.
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenDirect Link to This Post
If anyone tells you they went to sniper school and were not an 11b they are full of it. Even cav scouts don't go there, despite being trained on many marksman systems. Everyone else goes to combat marksmanship then sdm. At sum they will identify 11bs for snipe school nominees.

This one never fails. Ask them their drill sergeants name. Then ask them their last 1sg name, then ask their comanders name and rank. It's easy for mil to spot posers, harder for civilians. Make a friend who is actually in the army/navy/corps whatever, then can look them up on their web mails.
all4u

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for all4uSend a Private Message to all4uDirect Link to This Post
Um, yeah, I do know my commander's name and rank, same with Top, but as far as a DS, uh, no. We don't have many brown rounds anymore, at least not on the active units. I know that the reserves have more of the brown rounds in their units but the last time I saw a DS had to be BCT. They even cut out the brownies at AIT.

Also it is true that you will have to be an 11B more or less to get into sniper school, but I know quite a few guys and myself first enlisted for one MOS and reclassed later. While you are still MOSQ, you can take a job for whatever MOS has a slot available. Perfect example, me. Enlisted as a private fuzzy 11B, stayed that way till E-3, was getting ready for my 4 and reclassed to 19D. I heard alot of the NCOs talking at the time that there wasn't so many slots available for 11B, so I simply reclassed, got my 4, then WLC, and got my 5. Now I'm waiting on my 6 which is a bit more difficult with the budget cuts, it's harder to get a slot when there is like 60 people trying to get into 8 spots! It blows but whatever.

Remember though that sometimes there are people like me that just nod their head at the recruiter and get screwed into a job that they don't like and they end up reclassing. They could be a different MOS and not infantry, but still go to sniper school, as long as they can learn to $#!T their pants, literally. Yeah, don't ask.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Remember though that sometimes there are people like me that just nod their head at the recruiter and get screwed into a job that they don't like and they end up reclassing.

Been there, done that. Stick to your guns or tell them to get lost, don't let them screw you. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.
all4u

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for all4uSend a Private Message to all4uDirect Link to This Post
I think it is funny how you get guys from a branch of service that talk crap about another branch and later find out that they used to be in the branch they were talking bad about.

It's not like I would do that. I would never talk crap about the leather necked jarheads......
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

I too belive that is correct--or was way back when..

I thought they were all 4 years, I thought that was a blanket military thing. I know Navy is (or was) 4.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
The Army and Air Force were/are different. See http://usmilitary.about.com...ymedals/ss/gcm_4.htm

Every three years after receiving the medal, a "loop" was awarded five times in brass, then five in silver silver and up to five more in gold.

Here's an example of an award with five brass loops:

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock