Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Exploring Dixie Square; the World's Deadest Mall (56k Caution) (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Exploring Dixie Square; the World's Deadest Mall (56k Caution) by ShockWave
Started on: 09-22-2009 06:03 PM
Replies: 105
Last post by: Gokart Mozart on 04-30-2013 03:11 PM
ThatFieroKid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

LOL I've been there a couple times, but its been 2 or 3 years. Is everything still painted pink and blue and green inside? Its a great look back at 1987-era "Miami Vice" fashion.

I seem to remember the carpeting was a tripping hazard; ripped up and wrinkled in many places.

Sure is! And it was a tripping hazard, until they took it all out about a year ago and didn't put anything in its place...... They also still have the pink and purple "W" logo signs above all the entrances

Edit: I believe this page belongs to me.

[This message has been edited by ThatFieroKid (edited 12-16-2011).]

IP: Logged
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2011 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShockWave:

I said I was going to do it! Actually these are from last October, but I finally got to doing touch-ups on them the other week...

----

Awesome pics, man!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it's about to be ancient history.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id...usiness-real_estate/

HARVEY, Ill. — A suburban Chicago mall made famous for its high-speed demise in "The Blues Brothers" movie 30 years ago is meeting its real-life end.

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn announced Wednesday that demolition has officially begun at Dixie Square Mall in south suburban Harvey. The vacant mall has been an eyesore ever since cars unceremoniously smashed through it in the iconic film.

"The demolition of the Dixie Square Mall will help revitalize the local economy and create much needed jobs," Quinn said in a statement. "Although we will always remember the Dixie Mall as the location for one of the most iconic scenes in 'The Blues Brothers' movie, it is time for this now vacant building to be torn down to make way for more economic development for the Harvey community."

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Looks like it's about to be ancient history.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id...usiness-real_estate/

HARVEY, Ill. — A suburban Chicago mall made famous for its high-speed demise in "The Blues Brothers" movie 30 years ago is meeting its real-life end.

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn announced Wednesday that demolition has officially begun at Dixie Square Mall in south suburban Harvey. The vacant mall has been an eyesore ever since cars unceremoniously smashed through it in the iconic film.

"The demolition of the Dixie Square Mall will help revitalize the local economy and create much needed jobs," Quinn said in a statement. "Although we will always remember the Dixie Mall as the location for one of the most iconic scenes in 'The Blues Brothers' movie, it is time for this now vacant building to be torn down to make way for more economic development for the Harvey community."

They could leae a small plaques there to mark the location of it, like they did with the iconic "Frat house" in the movie Animal House
htexans1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

htexans1

9110 posts
Member since Sep 2001
Another place to check out is in Rantoul Illinois, the former Chanute AFB Illinois, "White Hall" there is an abandoned building, along with many AF dormitories, hangers and other things.

Chanute AFB Illinois, was closed by a BRAC round in 1993. It had been functioning since 1917.

I attended Tech School there in 1983.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Illinois Governor Pat Quinn:

"The demolition of the Dixie Square Mall will help revitalize the local economy and create much needed jobs,"

He's dreaming. Particularly in a recession. There is no way anything gets built there for a LONG time. Even developments in better suburbs and closer to highways, etc, are struggling right now. No one is going to build in Harvey.

Originally posted by htexans1:

Another place to check out is in Rantoul Illinois, the former Chanute AFB Illinois, "White Hall" there is an abandoned building, along with many AF dormitories, hangers and other things.

I've been in there; its a very strange place. White Hall is enormous and reminds me of a mini-Pentagon, with its miles of corridors. Lots of moisture damage and minerals leaching out of the concrete, like little icicles.

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
I love that one pic. that sign you found in the walgreens is the company's four way of test of truth. It is in every store I can not believe its still around years later. I would love to have that sign if you ever go back and its still there.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Chanute AFB Illinois, was closed by a BRAC round in 1993. It had been functioning since 1917.

Can i have that first chair in the video?

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

There is an AF museum at Chanute which I stopped at a few years back. Sort of sad as that was one of the bases I could have gone to when I was in the AF.. A long time ago as I was discharged 21 years before the base was closed.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

There is an AF museum at Chanute which I stopped at a few years back. Sort of sad as that was one of the bases I could have gone to when I was in the AF.. A long time ago as I was discharged 21 years before the base was closed.

My step-mother worked at Chanute up until the day it closed.
ShockWave

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShockWaveSend a Private Message to ShockWaveDirect Link to This Post
Chanute is on my bucket list, hopefully this year.

Originally posted by css9450:

He's dreaming. Particularly in a recession. There is no way anything gets built there for a LONG time. Even developments in better suburbs and closer to highways, etc, are struggling right now. No one is going to build in Harvey.

THIS. I guarantee no retailer will build there; not even Walmart, which has a store on the other side of the expressway.

Demo crews are hauling ass... Turnstyle is already almost gone! Might drive by Saturday for more pics.

[This message has been edited by ShockWave (edited 02-16-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2012 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
It all may be gone soon....considering Illinois politics however, that still remains to be seen.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com...with-wrecking-crews/
ShockWave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShockWaveSend a Private Message to ShockWaveDirect Link to This Post
As of last weekend...

[This message has been edited by ShockWave (edited 02-22-2012).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Great thread and pictures but I must tell you that going into abandoned buildings like that is illegal and can get you arrested. I know we just had a kid here doing community service because he did just that.

Just a heads up so take it how you like.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't [img]http://serve.mysmiley.net/c...rs/character0029.gif[/img]
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

htexans1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Great thread and pictures but I must tell you that going into abandoned buildings like that is illegal and can get you arrested. I know we just had a kid here doing community service because he did just that.

Just a heads up so take it how you like.

Steve

Illinois law differs.

It seems local jurisdictions let people in out there, At Chanute AFB (Its closed in Illinois too) people go in their buildings all the time, and it seems with no problem.

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 02-22-2012).]

ShockWave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShockWaveSend a Private Message to ShockWaveDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Actually, there is an exemption to Illinois law that permits people to be on abandoned property if they are there to, as the state puts it, "beautify" said property by picking up trash, boarding windows, etc. Granted it applies to land in which the property taxes have not been paid in two-plus years, but I still will use this in my defense should anything happen. The only reason exploration is "illegal" in the first place is because of lawyers and stupid people -- I bet that kid was doing something other than simply looking around.

It also depends on the cop; I was spotted by one the day I drove the Fiero into the mall and they let me go after showing them the cameras. In most of these cities, they have bigger problems to worry about.
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
Go there with a Night vision infer red camera
You might see ghost
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

It seems local jurisdictions let people in out there, At Chanute AFB (Its closed in Illinois too) people go in their buildings all the time, and it seems with no problem.

Eh, I wouldn't want to test that theory. Chanute is marked all over with No Trespassing signs, so someone must want to keep people out. I snuck in VERY incognito, as does everyone else who does it with no problem.

It was funny though - the day I was there a car club was having an autocross day on the empty runways. When I arrived, some kid in a VW Golf followed me as I drove around White Hall a couple times; then he noticed the way over to the autocross and went that way. He must have thought my Cobalt SS was there for autocross.

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

I graduated from weather school in Nov 1990. They were already starting to move things out and shut down buildings.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2012 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Apparently, the mall is going to be torn down (at tax-payers' expense-big surprise).

http://www.huffingtonpost.c...lnk1%26pLid%3D139199

Oops, I just read the recent posts. It looks like others have beat me to it.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 02-28-2012).]

ShockWave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShockWaveSend a Private Message to ShockWaveDirect Link to This Post
As of today, it's gone! Last parts of the Penney building fell around 3pm.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShockWave:

As of today, it's gone! Last parts of the Penney building fell around 3pm.

Its good to know you got the cool shots of it before it was gone.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:

Go there with a Night vision infer red camera
You might see ghost

Might BECOME ONE, too!
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
The main reason it becomes illegal is that someone could be sued if you get hurt on the property... dosent stop me though..
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
I feel like Elwood Blues did, when he looked back at the collapsed Bluesmobile, hat in hand.

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock