Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  todays obesity compared to 100 years ago. (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
todays obesity compared to 100 years ago. by hookdonspeed
Started on: 11-30-2011 01:41 PM
Replies: 50
Last post by: Jackdaniels on 12-03-2011 10:53 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2011 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

This is going to be found a couple of ways.....

Good read, thanx.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 12-02-2011).]

IP: Logged
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelDirect Link to This Post
I stopped at Mcdonalds for an orange juice and a muffin yesterday morning and there was a big fella just sitting down at his table. He actually lifted his giant belly up with both arms and slid in then lowered his huge belly down on the table..

He ate with his right hand off to the side of his belly.. couldn't believe it. I'd be so embarrassed if I were that big... the addiction is so bad for some folks.. really is sad.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

I stopped at Mcdonalds for an orange juice and a muffin yesterday morning and there was a big fella just sitting down at his table. He actually lifted his giant belly up with both arms and slid in then lowered his huge belly down on the table..

He ate with his right hand off to the side of his belly.. couldn't believe it. I'd be so embarrassed if I were that big... the addiction is so bad for some folks.. really is sad.

That bastard should have just shot himself in the bathroom!! How dare he go out in public!!

I don't know why I bother with threads like this. I really start to see the true way people on here see others.

Brad
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2011 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

I really start to see the true way people on here see others.

And it's not just about fat.
It's anything they can use to degrade someone else to make themselves feel superior.
But it's ok becouse the judgment can always be justified with the handy little "And I have to end up paying for it".
I wonder how much Ben Franklin weighed, and how much of that was brains?

Sadly, the list of people here I would sit at my dinnertable gets shorter every day.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
We can worship fat people, so I think fat people are ok.

I think there has always been fat people. Yes there are more fat people now than in the past but there are also more people. Back in 1900 there were only 75 million people in the USA, today there is over 300 million.

Plus people are more mobile and there for your chances of seeing a fat person are good now versus a farmer in 1900 seeing a circus fat freak.

Wasn't that dude Jackie Gleason in the Honeymooners fat? That was back in the early 50's.

This was a painting of a girl child from 1680 AD.

Painting of a person in 1645

Statute of a person made back in 22,000 BC.

President Taft

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 12-03-2011).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
The reason there are more fat people is not as simple as there are more people. The percentage of fat people has at least doubled in recent past. Thin, used to be the norm, especially in lower incomes. Thats changed, even in ghetto projects there are far more overweight people...percentage wise... than there used to be. I know in high school when i went, girls had like 20-22 inch waistlines. Now no matter how attractive they are, their waists are more like 26-27 inches as the norm.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-03-2011).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:
Sadly, the list of people here I would sit at my dinnertable gets shorter every day.

My list as well, and as a fat little fatty I tend to have the good stuff.

Brad
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I have absolutely nothing personal against heavy/ fat people if thats the way they chose to be. What does give me a problem is when they complain about it. I used to hear 'i cant help it, i have a bad thyroid condition and I cant change it'. If that was true, apparently 80% of the population should be on thyroid medication.

Hypothyroidism does tend to cause weight gain, or make losing weight more difficult, but it is treatable with thyroid medication.
Lots of people complain about things they say are out of their control when they're not.
They can't lose weight.
They can't quit drinking or smoking.
They can't make enough money.
blah, blah, blah.

The only thing I see different with obesity is society seems to tell us it's okay to hate fatties. Many people believe it's their duty to "shame" them - for their own good, of course.
There are many causes of obesity and for most people who are just overweight, it's just a matter of poor diet and exercise; however, when you see cases of morbid obesity or super obesity there are more issues than just diet and exercise at work. At that level, all kinds of other medical problems start appearing which make weight loss even more difficult and it becomes a cumulative effect. That's not to say it can't be beat - only that it gets harder and harder. Anyone who thinks losing 20lbs is the same difficulty as losing 200lbs other than having to diet longer doesn't understand the problem.

A more interesting question might be why there is more obesity, heart disease, high cholesterol, etc. in the US than other developed worlds. Is it a lifestyle difference? A food supply difference? A combination?

If anyone is actually interested in getting more information about this, I recommend:
The China Study
There's also a movie: Forks Over Knives.

It references a collection of independent science over generations that eventually lead to the same conclusion.

None of this is a hard and fast rule - do x and y happens. Just like anything having to do with the human body, everyone has different tendencies and abilities. Not everyone can become an Olympic athlete no matter how much they train. But everyone can become a better athlete than they were before.

Here's one interesting statistic from World War II.

What changed in Norway from 1940-45 that caused circulatory deaths to decline and then go back up after 1945?
It's explained in the movie Forks Over Knives and it's a glaring statistic that there are changes affecting society as a whole - not just individual habits.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2011 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

My list as well, and as a fat little fatty I tend to have the good stuff.

Brad

And I, with baconbutter!
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

The reason there are more fat people is not as simple as there are more people. The percentage of fat people has at least doubled in recent past. Thin, used to be the norm, especially in lower incomes. Thats changed, even in ghetto projects there are far more overweight people...percentage wise... than there used to be. I know in high school when i went, girls had like 20-22 inch waistlines. Now no matter how attractive they are, their waists are more like 26-27 inches as the norm.

I agree with you. That even with the explosion of population there is a greater percentage of tubby people as well.

It will get worse in the future.

But humans can get Gilbert Grape big.

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 12-04-2011).]

Jackdaniels

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

You off those meds again?
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave